Subject: [CODE4LIB] More EdUI Conference speakers. Refer a friend, win a laptop.

From: John Loy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:53:35 -0400

Our last email featured two of the fantastic speakers you'll hear at
the EdUI Conference Sept. 21-22 in Charlottesville VA. Well, we're
really excited about our entire program (find it at
http://eduiconf.org/program ), so we thought it worthwhile to continue
filling you in on even more speakers. Read on below to learn about
headliners Dan Rubin and Dana Chisnell.

If this is the first you've heard of EdUI, be sure to check out
http://eduiconf.org . In short, EdUI (the name is a marriage of "Edu"
and "UI") is a conference for web professionals, particularly those in
higher ed, that offers full-day workshops and peer presentations on
user experience and user interface issues like usability,
accessibility, design, coding, rich media, and social media.

We know training and travel budgets are tight right now, but we
guarantee this is one of the best values you'll find for professional
development! Other events featuring similar speaker line-ups often
cost $1000+ and require travel to expensive cities. EdUI is held in
beautiful, historic, and affordable Charlottesville VA, home of Thomas
Jefferson and a popular tourist destination http://tinyurl.com/lfmpn3
.

=== REGISTER NOW ===

If EdUI sounds right for you, register now at http://edui.eventbrite.com .

=== REFER A FRIEND, WIN A DELL LAPTOP! ===

We know you're already planning to come to EdUI 2009 (aren't you) to
see some of the biggest names in web design and development. But what
about your friends and colleagues?

Well, now they can help you win a Dell Latitude 2100 Netbook when you
refer them to us! See http://tinyurl.com/mr6koq to find out more.

=== DAN RUBIN ===

Presents "Visual Design Essentials for Non-Artists"
http://www.eduiconf.org/session/design-essentials-rubin/

Dan Rubin is a highly accomplished user interface designer and
usability consultant, with over ten years of experience as a leader in
the fields of web standards and usability, specifically focusing on
the use of (X)HTML and CSS to streamline development and improve
accessibility.

In addition to his contributions to sites including Blogger, the CSS
Zen Garden, Yahoo! Small Business and Microsoft’s ASP.net portal, Dan
is is a contributing author of Cascading Style Sheets: Separating
Content from Presentation (2nd Edition, friends of ED, 2003),
technical reviewer for Beginning CSS Web Development (Apress, 2006),
The Art & Science of CSS (SitePoint, 2007) and Sexy Web Design
(SitePoint, 2009), coauthor of Pro CSS Techniques (Apress, 2006), and
Web Standards Creativity (friends of ED, 2007)

Join Dan for an all day, six hour session, Visual Design Essentials
for Non-Artists, where you'll learn the essentials of visual design,
solid tricks and techniques to get the color, typography, and layout
you want, and have a ton of fun in the process.

=== DANA CHISNELL ===

Presents "Usability Testing Without the Scary"
http://www.eduiconf.org/session/usability-chisnell/

Dana Chisnell is an independent usability consultant and user
researcher who founded UsabilityWorks in San Francisco, CA. She has
been doing usability research, user interface design, and technical
communications consulting and development since 1982.

Dana’s colleagues consider her an expert in usability issues for older
adults and plain language. (She says she’s still learning.) Lately,
she has been working on issues related to ballot design and usability
and accessibility in voting.

Dana's all day workshop, Usability Testing Without the Scary, will
teach you how to put quick-and-dirty usability sessions together,
involve the entire team, and keep everything on schedule and work
within a shoestring budget. You’ll leave the seminar, ready and
anxious to run your own usability tests.

=== BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! ===

Of course these are just two of the fabulous sessions you can attend
at EdUI 2009. Also in store are "Beyond Blah Blah, Creating Great
Content for the Web", and "Progressive Mobile Website Enhancement",
and "The MIT World Story: The Vision Behind MIT's High-Impact Video
Portal". View the full program at http://www.eduiconf.org/program/ .

------

EdUI is made possible by The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
<http://www.VirginiaFoundation.org>, in partnership with the
University of Virginia <http://www.Virginia.edu> and an array of
corporate sponsors.

-----
Best wishes,
EdUI Conference Organizers