Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting: Director of Information Technology, Rutgers University Libraries, Piscataway, NJ

From: "Grace J. Agnew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:31:40 -0500

The Director of Information Technology reports to the Associate 
University Librarian for Digital Library Systems. Provides vision, 
leadership, and management of the Integrated Information Systems 
Department, a 14-person department. Is responsible for policies, 
procedures, selection, installation, and management of integrated 
information systems hardware and software, including integrated library 
system software, Windows networking, digital mass storage, servers, 
workstations, and peripherals for a three-campus library system. Leads 
cross-departmental teams in specifying, selecting, purchasing, and 
installing hardware and software to meet the diverse research and 
education needs of the libraries' users-the faculty and staff of Rutgers 
University. Manages the libraries' main computer facility, housing 
systemwide servers and digital mass storage system. Has primary 
responsibility for the design, implementation, and management of the 
libraries' Drupal-enabled website, the SirsiDynix Integrated Library 
System, and the production Fedora repository system. Proposes policy and 
sets procedures for information management, including security and 
maintenance of the libraries' digital information resources. Leads the 
web services team and will provide leadership in a large-scale redesign 
of the website to reflect the user experience. Provides leadership to 
the libraries' preparations for migration to an open library management 
system in the next two years.

Requires a bachelor's degree in computer science, information 
management, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of 
education and/or experience; plus a minimum of eight years relevant 
experience, at least five of which must be in a managerial or 
supervisory capacity in a digital library, library systems, or higher 
education IT, museum, archives or other non-profit cultural heritage 
information environment. Requires demonstrable expertise in web services 
technologies (XML, WSDL, Web 2.0, content management systems); 
demonstrable expertise in storage architectures and management, 
authentication and authorization strategies, and information security; 
and demonstrable expertise in software development methodologies and 
processes, as well as networking architecture and management. Also 
requires project management skills, ability to make desired progress on 
multiple projects simultaneously, excellent written and oral 
communication skills, and leadership abilities. Requires ability to 
represent the libraries in professional conferences and university IT 
committees. Prefer master's degree and experience managing integrated 
library systems. Good working knowledge of SOA (service oriented 
architecture) and experience with grant funded digital library projects 
preferred.

To apply, reference position number 09-000739 via the Rutgers MyATS 
system, available at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/FindAJob.htm
*

*
-- 

________________________________________________________________

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
Library Technical Services Building
47 Davidson Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854-5603

[email-masked]
PH: (732) 445-5908
FAX: (732) 445-5888