Subject: [CODE4LIB] Fwd: OPEN POSITION: Linked Data in Digital Libraries

From: Ross Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 14:32:23 -0400

Seems like Linked Data + Library + Vienna might be of interest to somebody here.

-Ross.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bernhard Haslhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:46 AM
Subject: OPEN POSITION: Linked Data in Digital Libraries
To: Linked Data community <[email-masked]>

Hello,

if somebody feels like moving to Vienna to work in a digital library
project where we will definitely do some Linked Data research, please
let me know.

Best,
Bernhard

-----

The Multimedia Information Systems Group
(http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/mis) at the University of Vienna / Austria
is looking for an excellent candidate to work as a PhD researcher in
the EU eContentPlus project "EuropeanaConnect".

The objective of EuropeanaConnect (http://www.europeanaconnect.eu/) is
to deliver core components which are essential for the realization of
the European Digital Library (Europeana) as a truly interoperable,
multilingual and user-oriented service for all European citizens. The
project will provide the  technologies and resources to semantically
enrich vast amounts of digital content in Europeana. This will enable
semantically based content discovery including support for advanced
searching and browsing, allowing for delivery of enhanced services and
making Europeana content more accessible, reusable and exploitable.

We expect the applicant to work in the following areas:
- Web-based knowledge organization systems (e.g., Linked Data)
- metadata registries
- persistent digital object identifiers
- multimedia annotations

The ideal candidate holds a MS degree in Computer Science or related
field and is able to consider both theoretical and
practical/implementation aspects in her/his work. Fluent english
communication and programming skills are fundamental requirements.
Preferably the candidate has a background in one of the following
fields:
- semantic technologies (RDF, SKOS, etc)
- metadata management
- multimedia computing

The position starts as soon as possible and is full-time (40h/week)
for the duration of the project until Oct 2011.

Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until
the position is filled. The successful candidate will tightly work
with international partners and has the possibility to pursue PhD work
within the scope of the project.

We invite interested applicants to send their resume including a
pointer to their previous / current work and publications to
<[email-masked]>, Reference No: 396/MIS/0109.

The University of Vienna is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Women
therefore are especially encouraged to apply. In case of equal
qualification, women applying are to be given priority unless reasons
specific to an individual male candidate tilt the balance in his favor
 according to judgments of the EU Court of Justice.

-----

______________________________________________________
Research Group Multimedia Information Systems
Department of Distributed and Multimedia Systems
Faculty of Computer Science
University of Vienna

Postal Address: Liebiggasse 4/3-4, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43 1 42 77 39635 Fax: +43 1 4277 39649
E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/bernhard.haslhofer