Subject: [CODE4LIB] Script z3950?

From: "[Chris Stockwell]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:22:18 -0400

Montana State Library has about 4000 objects (state publications) to upload 
to the Internet Archive and Open Library. Would like to automate as much of 
this as possible. For each object, I need to produce to an upload folder named 
with unique identifier. In this folder, among other things, I need to put the 
upload object and a metadata xml file which I intend to crosswalk from a marc 
record (a .mrc file).

We are SirsiDynix shop (running on top of Oracle) and otherwise have a 
windows environment (but would like to hear about whatever process works 
regardless of platform). I am attracted to the z3950 interface for pulling marc 
record data which I then propose to crosswalk to the metadata xml file 
required by the Internet Archive. 

Getting the .mrc file can be done manually using a z3950 client. However, I 
want to address the z3950 client in a script loop and pull and process .mrc 
data for each object. Can this be done? It appears yaz can be controlled from 
the command line and that I might be able to loop it using the shell? Not sure 
however if this can be done from a dos shell. If not, other thoughts are in 
order about what might be the best way to do this? Thanks ...

---

From: Jacob <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:03:02 +0200

> order about what might be the best way to do this? Thanks ...

Just use zoomsh.

http://www.indexdata.com/blog/2009/09/z3950-dummies-series-part-3

-- 

Cheers,
Jakub