Subject: [CODE4LIB] MODS-to-citation stylesheets

From: Andrew Ashton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:27:26 -0500

Can someone point me at any good, freely-available stylesheets to convert
MODS to Chicago or MLA formatted citations?  It seems like something that
should be readily available, but I can¹t seem to find it.   I¹d rather not
reinvent the wheel if possible...

Thanks, Andy

---

From: Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:51:31 -0500

What I've been meaning to investigate more fully is the "Citation Style 
Language" (CSL) which is used by Zotero for citation outputting--there 
are some other non-Zotero engines for CSL, but I'm not sure how 
mature/ready for production any of them are. The Zotero engine is of 
course in Javascript, so inconvenient (although not impossible) to 
re-use that code a server side app.

I haven't really investigated what's going on with CSL, but that seems 
to be the 'right' way to deal with this to me. Once you have a CSL 
engine incorporated in your app, you can output not just in Chicago or 
MLA, but any citation style now or in the future that Zotero (or anyone 
else) provides a CSL file for. Thanks to Zotero (and it's partners?) for 
developing this re-useable CSL format instead of just a custom Zotero 
solution.

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer
The Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
410.516.8886 
rochkind (at) jhu.edu

---

From: Andrew Ashton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:06:05 -0500

Thanks, I have heard of CSL but never really worked with it.  Do you know if
it is specifically geared toward Zotero's SQLite data structures?  We're
interested in generating citations in web apps from a native XML database of
MODS, preferably without going through Zotero.

I've experimented with generating the citations from our eXist-based system
by way of Zotero, but we run into genre-authority issues.  Zotero's default
MODS import translator expects <mods:genre authority="marcgt"> and our
system uses other authorities.  Granted, I'm working off of some older
Zotero code, so I may not have the most recent info.

-Andy

---

From: "Walker, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:11:59 -0800

> Do you know if it is specifically geared 
> toward Zotero's SQLite data structures?

I don't believe so, since the CSL standard, such that it is, predates Zotero.

I've worked with CSL a little bit in trying to create a PHP CSL rules engine.  Not a trivial task, to say the least, but long-term it would serve you very well.  I think there are Python and Ruby CSL libraries, but my impression, like Jonathan's, is that they are still somewhat in the works.

--Dave

==================
David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University
http://xerxes.calstate.edu
________________________________________
From: Code for Libraries [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew Ashton [[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 8:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] MODS-to-citation stylesheets

-Andy

---

From: Tom Keays <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:42:17 -0500

CSL was originally developed as an Open Office add-on using, I think, CiteProc.

http://xbiblio.sourceforge.net/citeproc/
http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/citeproc/index.html

CiteProc says it supports MODS. [Mind you, I haven't used any of these
components.]

Tom

---

From: Erik Hetzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:45:53 -0800

At Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:11:59 -0800,
Walker, David wrote:
> I've worked with CSL a little bit in trying to create a PHP CSL
> rules engine. Not a trivial task, to say the least, but long-term it
> would serve you very well. I think there are Python and Ruby CSL
> libraries, but my impression, like Jonathan's, is that they are
> still somewhat in the works.

Hi -

You might have a look at citeproc [1].

-Erik

1. <http://xbiblio.sourceforge.net/citeproc/>
;; Erik Hetzner, California Digital Library
;; gnupg key id: 1024D/01DB07E3

---

From: Andrew Ashton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:03:46 -0500

Thanks for the Citeproc recommendation - it is exactly what I'm looking for.