Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting: Digital Projects Developer at Duke University Libraries

From: Will Sexton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:49:05 -0400

Digital Projects Developer

Under the direction of the Head of the Digital Projects Department, the
developer will explore, adapt, and support library information technologies
for digital projects, including the application of standards, metadata, and
discovery interfaces appropriate to specific projects. The developer is
responsible for helping Library staff design user interfaces that
successfully navigate and integrate various resources specific to research
libraries.
Responsibilities

• Collaborates with staff, faculty, and others to plan and develop the
Libraries’ user interfaces in order to maintain and enhance access to
digital resources and services.
• Prepares written project specifications, develops project prototypes,
reviews prototypes with appropriate clientele, assists with project
development, prepares maintenance plans, and assesses results.
• Consults with and provides training to library staff and others on the
development and maintenance of user interfaces and digital projects.
• Assists in the implementation and management of trials and pilots of new
technology applications as they apply to library resources and services and
instructional technology and assesses the effectiveness of these
applications.
• Researches new developments and makes recommendations for best practices
in library and information technologies.

Supervisory Responsibilities
• None
Qualifications

It is the expectation that all Duke University Library staff members will
demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their
specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus,
collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a
commitment to diversity.
Education

Required: BA/BS or equivalent combination of education and experience.

Preferred: BA/BS preferably in computer or information science, or related
field.
Experience

Required: Three years experience developing user interfaces; expert
knowledge of web-based computing; demonstrated ability to manage complex
technical projects; demonstrated ability to develop database-driven or other
dynamically driven user interfaces; demonstrated collaborative skills;
ability to manage a complex workload, prioritize tasks, and complete work on
time with minimum supervision; strong communication and interpersonal
skills; and ability to work as part of a team. Demonstrated ability to
develop user interfaces with XML, XSL, and AJAX. Familiarity with Solaris,
Linux, MySQL, Apache web server, Java, Python, Zope, and/or Tomcat.

Preferred: Prior experience developing user interfaces in an academic
research library.
Working Conditions

    • Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials
containing dust and mold is possible
    • Normal office environment
    • Occasional travel required

These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of
work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended
to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and
skills required of a person in this position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits
package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health,
dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional
development and training.
Environment

Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most
prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks
annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the
shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and
ideas. The Libraries consist of the William R. Perkins Library and its
branches: Rare Book, Manuscript and Special Collections, Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Lilly, and Music and the library at the Duke Marine
Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 5.1 million volumes are
among the largest of private universities in the United States.

Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research,
medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters.
Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of
more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural,
recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently
located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate
climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do
business.

Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both traditional
benefits such has health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as
wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at:
http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/duke_benefits.html
Application
Send cover letter, detailed resume and the names, addresses (mailing and
e-mail), and telephone numbers of three references to: Teresa Tillman,
Library Human Resources, at [email-masked].  Please include DEVELOPER
in the subject line.  Review of applications will begin in mid-July and will
continue until the position is filled.

An electronic resume should also be submitted at:
http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/main.html. Refer to Requisition # 400316510.

---

From: "Thompson, Keri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:55:12 -0400

[obligatory wish for your pardon in the cross-posting, &tc]

Smithsonian Institution Libraries in Washington, DC is looking for a
ColdFusion developer to join our small & friendly Web Services
Department. This position is a permanent, full-time Federal position.
More details and how to apply can be found on USAJOBS.GOV - search for
job announcement number 09A-MR-295397-DEU-SIL or go to
http://sn.im/nfqgr .  Applications are only taken online through
USAJOBS.

The Smithsonian Institution is a unique working and learning 
environment that offers you continuing awareness of the world's 
treasures in culture, art, and science.   If your goals include 
challenging work, being a valued member of an organization, and 
participation in exciting opportunities of exploration, become a 
part of our staff.  Enjoy family friendly benefits; a complimentary 
membership to the Resident Associate Program with discounts on 
thousands of educational and cultural programs offered annually; 
discounts at Smithsonian membership programs, shops, and 
restaurants; and much more!

This position is located in Digital Services Division, Smithsonian 
Institution Libraries.  The purpose of this position is primarily 
web development and includes responsibly for a wide range of 
assignments throughout all phases of the digital library 
development life cycle.

MAJOR DUTIES:  	

    * Serves as an IT Specialist performing a wide range of web
development, associated database design, data integration, and web
support activities.
    * Develops new and maintains existing web projects and applications
using established tools including MS SQL and ColdFusion, XHTML, XML and
XSLT, CSS, JavaScript, AJAX, and JSON.
    * Develops or uses available APIs and web services to search,
consume and interact with third-party data that follows library and W3C
standards.
    * Assists in the review, analysis and development of web-based tools
and architecture as they apply to the strategic goal of the library.
    * Assists in the development and maintenance of the Smithsonian's
Digital Repository (currently using D-Space), including providing
programming and server support and performing data transformations
including MARC to MARCXML, and MARCXML to SQL.

Smithsonian Institution is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Keri Thompson
Digital Projects Librarian, Smithsonian Institution Libraries
e. [email-masked] || t. 202.633.1716 || http://www.sil.si.edu/ ||
http://smithsonianlibraries.si.edu