Subject: [CODE4LIB] BISAC Subject Headings Lookup or Crosswalk

From: Ryan Eby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:12:13 -0500

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good BISAC Subject Headings
source for looking up a recommended BISAC based on ISBN, LCSH, etc.
I've found some pages on oclc.org saying they were starting work on
crosswalks and possibly including them in WorldCat but I haven't seen
any returned in any WorldCat api calls yet. I've also read that ONIX
records often have a BISAC code, is there a good source that might
cover many publishers?

http://www.bisg.org/standards/bisac_subject/index.html

http://www.oclc.org/dewey/updates/numbers/

eby

---

From: Andrew Nagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:21:53 -0500

I saw a great presentation by Jesse Haro from Phoenix Public on their Endeca
catalog.  They had their catalogers go back and recatalog the entire
collection with BISAC headings.  You might want to see if you can get in
touch with him to see if he has any information for you.

http://mlamasslib.blogspot.com/2008/05/endeca-developments-in-opac-world.html

Andrew

---

From: Rob Sanderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:12:37 +0000

And if you could get access to the catalogue, you could then train a
classifier (maybe bayes?) to predict BISAC given the other types of
headings (or other data) in the records.

Rob