Subject: [CODE4LIB] Updating OpenContent indexes

From: danielle plumer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:54:36 -0500

First, apologies if this message comes twice; I've been having some problems
posting to the list from my work address.

I've been using the OpenContent indexes for a while now, but I'd really love
to get some of them updated, particularly the Open Content Alliance and
Internet Archive indexes. I've been thinking about this since IA got copies
of the Million Book project content, and this week after Cornell deposited
70,000 or so public domain books in IA. I'd also like to add indexes for
IA's Moving Images and Audio collections.

I do have a bit of money to update collections this year, and it would
probably be cheaper for me to update these collections through OpenContent
than to figure out how to add the Open Library API to my federated search
tool (which is soon to be PazPar2). Working directly with IA is another
option, though we've been trying to work with them on searching our
Archive-IT content via SRU with little success (so far).  I've seen the
announcement from UNC that they have an OCA API similar to the Google Books
API, and maybe they would be open to adding an SRU interface to their
harvest, as well.

I'm just fishing for ideas for now. Anybody have any others? If the
OpenContent materials are desired by others in addition to me, I'd be happy
to take that into consideration.

-- 
Danielle Cunniff Plumer, Coordinator
Texas Heritage Digitization Initiative
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
512.463.5852 (phone) / 512.936.2306 (fax)
[email-masked]
[email-masked]