Subject: [CODE4LIB] CouchDB

From: phil cryer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:22:04 -0500

Hey all, I just started experimenting with CouchDB the other day, and
it's pretty cool.  With the amount of data the Botanical Heritage
Library (BHL) is carrying, this may be an option for the future.  Does
anyone have any experience with it, or any pointers to a good howto,
or basic setup/usage case?  I appreciate that it's a different
approach to an age old problem, and I can see it working hand in hand
with things like hadoop (hdfs), lucene/solr, etc.

P

---

From: John Beppu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:09:47 -0700

> with things like hadoop (hdfs), lucene/solr, etc.

For full-text search, some experimental work has been done.

There's hypercouch which brings Hyper Estraier and CouchDB together:

http://github.com/davisp/hypercouch/tree/master

There's also couchdb-lucene which uses Lucene for full text search:

http://github.com/rnewson/couchdb-lucene/tree/master

People are still exploring this uncharted land (so to speak).  Querying is
accomplished by hooking up an "external" service to CouchDB.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ExternalProcesses

This is basically a process that stays resident, reads requests on STDIN and
sends responses on STDOUT as the wiki page I linked to above describes.

As for indexing, I think the smart way to do it is to follow
couchdb-lucene's example and setup an update_notification script.

--beppu