Subject: [CODE4LIB] Need VirtualBox Help

From: Nicole Engard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:57:39 -0500

I have virtualbox installed on my mac.  I have several virtual
machines, the one that's causing problems is my windows xp machine.  I
want to transfer files from my mac to my windows machine.  I tried
sharing a folder but can't find it in windows - I tried putting a CD
in but windows can't read it - I installed Filezilla FTP Server - but
now I'm suck with how to set that up so that I can FTP from my Mac to
the Windows Virtual Machine.

Any tips from the experts?

Thanks in advance,
Nicole

---

From: Matt Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:12:10 -0900

In windows on your VM you need to mount your mac shared folder as a network
drive.  You can do this using the 'Tools | Map Network Drive...' menu
command in windows. Choose a drive letter (e.g., X:), then for the 'Folder'
name, use the Virtual box share syntax, which is '\\vboxsvr\sharename',
where 'sharename' is the name of the share that you set up in the Virtual
Box configuration window.  Once done, you should see your mac folder under
the drive letter you chose.  The virtual box manual explains this more
fully.

Matt

---

From: Nicole Engard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:43:51 -0500

Matt,

Thanks for this - I tried this and read through this part of the
manual, but it keeps saying the drive isn't found.  I have added the
drive as shared using the VB interface and it's listed there, but not
sure what else I'm supposed to do - this probably shouldn't be this
hard ...

---

From: Nicole Engard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:28:27 -0500

FYI - Erin Germ helped me off list - I didn't have VB Guest Additions
installed - so I was missing a critical step there :)

Nicole