Subject: [CODE4LIB] recommendations for archival storage

From: Edward Iglesias <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:41:32 -0400

Hello All,

As our various digital collections increase we are starting to look more
seriously at long term storage.  We have archival TIFFS, video recordings
and sound recordings.  We have all these things digitized on servers but now
we are looking long term.  What are you doing in the area of long term
digital preservation?

Thanks,

Edward Iglesias

---

From: John Soros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:08:08 +0200

Something i know of, that isn't much advertized, but is really simple and 
briliant idea is http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/venti/ , it's 
a deduplicative permanent block-store, that splits it's partitions into 
convieniently backupable (to optical or other media) subpartitions.
  If you have a lot of data, venti might be very handy for you. There are 
several tools that use venti to store files, check http://swtch.com/plan9port, 
which has the vac, vacfs and unvac tools, aswell as a port of the venti server 
for unix systems. Fossil, the plan9 filesystem, which is basically a write-
buffer for it, and the new vidi ( http://vidi.sourceforge.net/ ), which i 
haven't tested, so i can't say much of it.
Two thing the current venti tools do not handle are symlinks and setuid files, 
as these do not exist in plan9, but usually, for data backup, you don't really 
need those.

-- 
John Soros
BibLibre, expert en logiciels libres pour l'info-doc
http://biblibre.com

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 18:41:32 Edward Iglesias wrote:
> and sound recordings.  We have all these things digitized on servers but
> now we are looking long term.  What are you doing in the area of long term
> digital preservation?
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> Edward Iglesias