Subject: [CODE4LIB] Simmons GSLIS Technology Assistant for the Digital Curriculum Lab - job posting

From: Linnea Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:36:00 -0400

Apologies for the cross posting:

Here is a new job posting within Simmons College Graduate School of  
LIbrary and Information Science in Boston, MA.

Review of applications will begin on October 21, 2009.

If you have questions about the position, please do not hesitate to  
contact Terry Plum at [email-masked].

Best,

Linnea

---------------------------------------------------

Technology Assistant for the Digital Curriculum Lab (GSLIS) - Part- 
time, 21 hours/week – Graduate School of Library and Information  
Science (GSLIS)

Summary:

The Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) at  
Simmons College in Boston, MA seeks a part-time Technology Assistant  
for the Digital Curriculum Lab on a three-year, grant funded,  
appointment, to take the technical lead in designing, implementing and  
supporting the Digital Curriculum Lab in GSLIS. This position  
specifically supports the Institute of Museum and Library Services  
grant for cultural heritage convergence education, involving digital  
asset management (DAM) applications, digital content, tools, and  
scripts to teach digital preservation, arrangement, description and  
the management of digital content. Examples of DAM applications for  
this project are DSpace, Archon, CollectiveAccess, and Greenstone,  
among others. The position develops a set of learning modules for  
teaching concepts relevant to archives, museum studies, library  
science and cultural heritage, under the direction of the GSLIS  
faculty. This three year position specifically supports the Four Cs  
for Development of Cultural Heritage Institutions grant, (http://gslis.simmons.edu/4cs/ 
) and will also provide more generalized programming and application  
development support for teaching and learning in GSLIS. This position  
develops new capabilities and tools for teaching cultural heritage in  
the digital environment. The position will help write the list of  
functional requirements, conduct a scan of existing software  
applications, build a test bed and evaluation workflow, and produce a  
working Digital Curriculum Lab that supports GSLIS education, and  
serves as a model for international cooperation. This position also  
helps to develop web applications relating to teaching and learning.  
The position will use development applications such as PHP/MySQL,  
Java, JavaScript, or other scripting or programming frameworks. This  
position participates in the support of the GSLIS Technology Lab and  
serves on the GSLIS Technology Team. This position is 21 hours per  
week and is benefits-eligible.

Requirements:

• Demonstrated expertise with application installation and development  
on Mac or Linux servers;
• Demonstrated expertise with web applications development, using PHP/ 
MySQL, Java, JavaScript, or other application environment;
• Demonstrated expertise with XHTML markup and CSS;
• Familiarity with archival, museum or visual digital content;
• Familiarity with archival, museum or visual digital asset management  
systems;
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills;
• Excellent customer service skills;
• Familiarity with online pedagogy;
• Ability to work independently;
• Ability to work in a team-based environment.

To apply for this position, please go to our online employment site  
at: https://jobs.simmons.edu.
Click on “Search Postings”, select the position title and follow the  
directions to apply online.

To go directly to this position posting, please click on:
http://jobs.simmons.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=51115

Simmons is committed to excellence in education and employment through  
diversity.

----

Linnea Johnson '04LS
Assistant Manager of Information Technology
GSLIS Adjunct Faculty
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
GSLIS Technology Group
Simmons College
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115
617-521-2834
[email-masked]
http://gslislab.simmons.edu