Subject: [CODE4LIB] DC-2009 Conference: Call for Papers [Reminder]

From: Myung-Ja Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:07:15 -0500

Hello all,

Apologies for cross-posting.  The deadline for papers is a month away.

Please share this with interested colleagues and students.

Papers are invited for the Ninth International Conference on Dublin Core and
Metadata Applications (DC-2009). This year, DC-2009 will be held in Seoul,
Korea, from October 12th to 16th. This year’s theme is "Semantic
Interoperability of Linked Data.”

http://www.dc2009.kr/
Conference Theme

DC-2009 will focus on linked data and the enabling of the Semantic Web.
Conference participants will explore the conceptual and practical issues in
breaking the constraints of data silos and connecting pieces of data,
information, and knowledge. Metadata is a key to these processes supporting
publishing and interlinking structured data on the Semantic Web.

The basic assumption behind the concept of linked data is that the value and
usefulness of data increases the more it is interlinked with other data.
There is a growing interest in the metadata community in connecting existing
and future data contained in silos within and across organizations in a
meaningful way that supports extraction and correlation of the data. The
linking of data from disparate data silos presents technical and social
challenges that will be explored at DC-2009 through full papers, project
reports, posters, special sessions and workshops.

Beyond the conference theme, papers, reports, and poster submissions are
welcome on a wide range of metadata topics, such as:

   - Metadata principles, guidelines, and best practices
   - Metadata quality, normalization, and mapping
   - Conceptual models and frameworks (e.g., RDF, DCAM, OAIS)
   - Application profiles
   - Metadata interoperability across domains, languages, and time
   - Cross-domain metadata uses (e.g., recordkeeping, preservation,
   institutional repositories)
   - Domain metadata (e.g., for corporations, cultural memory institutions,
   education, government, and scientific fields)
   - Bibliographic standards (e.g., RDA, FRBR, subject headings) as Semantic
   Web vocabularies
   - Accessibility metadata
   - Metadata for scientific data
   - Metadata in e-Science and grid applications
   - Social tagging
   - Knowledge Organization Systems (e.g., ontologies, taxonomies, authority
   files, folksonomies, and thesauri) and Simple Knowledge Organization Systems
   (SKOS)
   - Ontology design and development
   - Integration of metadata and ontologies
   - Metadata generation (methods, tools, and practices)
   - Search engines and metadata
   - Semantic Web metadata and applications
   - Vocabulary registries and registry services

 ------------------------------
 <http://www.dc2009.kr/sub/cfs_ucallp_01.php>Submission

All full paper, project report and poster submissions to the DC-2009
Conference Proceedings will be peer-reviewed by the International Program
Committee. All submissions must be in English. Accepted submissions will be
published in both the official electronic and print versions of the Conference
Proceedings.

The Committee is soliciting contributions of the following three types:

FULL PAPERS (8-10 pages)

Full papers either describe innovative original work in detail or provide
critical, well-referenced overviews of key developments or good practice in
the areas outlined above. Full papers will be assessed using the following
criteria:

   - Originality of the approach to implementation
   - Generalizability of the methods and results described
   - Quality of the contribution to the implementation community
   - Significance of the results presented
   - Clarity of presentation

Accepted papers must be presented in Seoul by at least one of their authors.

PROJECT REPORTS (4-5 pages)

Project reports describe a specific model, application, or activity in a
concise, prescribed format. Project reports will be assessed using the
following criteria:

   - Conciseness and completeness of technical description
   - Usability of the technical description by other potential implementers
   - Clarity of presentation

Accepted papers and projects will be published in both the official
electronic and the paper versions of the Proceedings. Accepted project
reports must be presented in Seoul by at least one of their authors.

POSTERS (1-2 pages)

Posters are for the presentation of projects or research under development
or late-breaking results. Poster proposals should consist of a one-two page
extended abstract. Posters will be assessed using the following criteria:

   - Concise statement of research or project goals and milestones
   - Significance of the research or project
   - Framing of key barriers and future research
   - Statement of results and accomplishments
   - Clarity of presentation

Accepted posters will be published in the Conference Proceedings and
displayed at the conference. Accepted posters must be presented in Seoul by
at least one of their authors.
 ------------------------------
 <http://www.dc2009.kr/sub/cfs_ucallp_01.php>Online Submissions

Authors wishing to submit papers, reports, or poster proposals may do so
through the DCMI Peer Review System at
http://dcpapers.dublincore.org/index.php/pubs/. Author registration and
instruction for the submission process appear under the "Information for
Authors <http://www.dc2009.kr/sub/cfs_uauth_01.html>" link. Author
Guidelines for full papers, project reports and posters are available
through the DCMI Peer Review System.

All submitting authors must provide basic information regarding current
professional positions and affiliations as a condition of publication.
 ------------------------------
 <http://www.dc2009.kr/sub/cfs_ucallp_01.php>Deadlines and Important Dates

   - Papers/reports/posters submission: 24 April 2009
   - Acceptance notification: 22 June 2009
   - Camera-ready copy due: 30 July 2009

 ------------------------------
 <http://www.dc2009.kr/sub/cfs_ucallp_01.php>Program Committee Co-Chairs

   - Sam Gyun Oh, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea
   [email-masked]
   - Shigeo Sugimoto, University of Tsukuba, Japan
   [email-masked]
   - Stuart A. Sutton, University of Washington, United States
   [email-masked]

 ------------------------------
 <http://www.dc2009.kr/sub/cfs_ucallp_01.php>Conference URLs

   - DC-2009 Web site:
   http://www.dc2009.kr/
   - Dublin Core Metadata Initiative:
   http://dublincore.org/
   - Call for Papers (this document):
   http://dcpapers.dublincore.org/dcmiTemplates/DC-2009-CfP.pdf<http://www.dc2009.kr/sub/DC-2009-CfP.zip>

-- 
Myung-Ja "MJ" Han
Metadata Librarian
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign | University Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr. (MC-522)
Urbana, IL 61801

Office: 217-333-9515
Email: [email-masked]