Subject: [CODE4LIB] Position Available: Director of Information Technology, Rutgers University Libraries

From: Grace Agnew <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:43:04 -0400

Apologies for cross-posting

DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

RUTGERS UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES, NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ

Reports to the Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems.
Provides vision, leadership, and management of the Integrated Information
Systems Department, a 14-person department. Is responsible for policies,
procedures, selection, installation, and management of integrated
information systems hardware and software, including integrated library
system software, Windows networking, digital mass storage, servers,
workstations, and peripherals for a three-campus library system. Leads
cross-departmental teams in specifying, selecting, purchasing, and
installing hardware and software to meet the diverse research and
education needs of the libraries' users-the faculty and staff of Rutgers
University. Manages the libraries' main computer facility, housing
systemwide servers and digital mass storage system. Has primary
responsibility for the design, implementation, and management of the
libraries' Drupal-enabled website, the SirsiDynix Integrated Library
System, and the production Fedora repository system. Proposes policy and
sets procedures for information management, including security and
maintenance of the libraries' digital information resources. Leads the web
services team and will provide leadership in a large-scale redesign of the
website to reflect the user experience. Provides leadership to the
libraries' preparations for migration to an open library management system
in the next two years.
 Job Requirements
Requires a bachelor's degree in computer science, information management,
or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or
experience; plus a minimum of eight years relevant experience, at least
five of which must be in a managerial or supervisory capacity in a digital
library, library systems, or higher education IT environment. Requires
demonstrable expertise in web services technologies (XML, WSDL, Web 2.0,
content management systems); demonstrable expertise in storage
architectures and management, authentication and authorization strategies,
and information security; and demonstrable expertise in software
development methodologies and processes, as well as networking
architecture and management. Also requires project management skills,
ability to make desired progress on multiple projects simultaneously,
excellent written and oral communication skills, and leadership abilities.
Requires ability to represent the libraries in professional conferences
and university IT committees. Prefer master's degree and experience
managing integrated library systems. Good working knowledge of SOA
(service oriented architecture) and experience with grant funded digital
library projects preferred.