Subject: [CODE4LIB] Position Announcement: Digital Library Architect, Penn State University

From: Mairead Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:44:51 -0500

Digital Library Architect, Penn State University

The Division of Information Technology Services (ITS) at Pennsylvania  
State University is seeking a Digital Library Architect to provide  
vision for and direct the development of the technical architecture  
for enterprise-level Content Stewardship services.

An outcome of joint strategic planning conducted by Information  
Technology Services and the University Libraries (UL) in 2007/2008,  
the Content Stewardship program will meet extant and emerging digital  
content and asset management needs in areas such as digital library  
collections, scholarly communications, electronic record archiving,  
and e-science/e-research. Building on existing services and  
infrastructure, this program will put in place a cohesive and  
extensible suite of access, discovery, preservation, curation,  
security, repository, archival, and storage services. Initial  
applications for the Content Stewardship program include an electronic  
records repository, policy- and object-based storage infrastructure,  
and reassessment of the institutional ETD system.

Reporting to the ITS Senior Director of Digital Library Technologies,  
this position will work closely with the University Libraries’  
Assistant Dean for Scholarly Communications, Assistant Dean for  
Technical Services, and the Head of the University Libraries’  
Information Technology Department. The Digital Library Architect can  
anticipate working across all functional areas of both ITS and the UL.

The University Libraries will shortly be seeking a Digital Collections  
Curator to support the Content Stewardship program; this new position  
will focus on digital collection and repository services management  
and will work closely with the Digital Library Architect.

Responsibilities:

* Lead the design and development of the technical architecture for  
digital library applications, middleware, systems, and services.
* Develop, publish, and maintain a roadmap for service and  
infrastructure implementation.
* Collaborate on and contribute to strategic and tactical planning and  
implementation in the content stewardship domain.
* With ITS and UL leadership, develop a Content Stewardship governance  
model that is inclusive of stakeholder and user needs.
* Support existing content management policies, processes, and  
workflows, and contribute to the development of new ones.
* Collaborate on the development and maintenance of service and  
project portfolio management in the content stewardship domain.
* Work with existing digital library standing working groups and  
committees on the development and realization of common strategies,  
goals and work plans.
* Apply service management principles and processes in both the  
development and operation of Content Stewardship services.
* Collaborate on the development and promotion of best practices for  
content and data management.
* Track technology trends and standards evolution, and contribute to  
developments in this field.
* Engage in national and consortial efforts in the digital library  
domain, and seek mutually beneficial partnerships and collaborations  
with peer institutions and in the private sector.

Qualifications and Requirements:

1.    Bachelor degree in computer science or equivalent. Five to seven  
years experience in IT or research library domain.
2.    Excellent oral and written communication skills.
3.    Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
4.    Demonstrated ability to lead complex and cross-organizational  
projects and guide diverse constituents towards common goals.
5.    Demonstrated expertise in existing and emergent content and  
storage management standards and technologies.
6.    Demonstrated success in and commitment to process improvement  
and excellent customer service.

About Information Technology Services:

Information Technology Services (ITS) is critical to the success of  
teaching, research, and business operations at Penn State. ITS  
provides the infrastructure and large-scale information technology  
tools that support students, faculty, and staff in their learning,  
teaching, research, outreach, administration, and support activities.  
ITS works in partnership with key areas of the University to jointly  
develop strategies that will anticipate future information technology  
needs to support Penn State's growth and evolution in the coming  
years. For more information, please visit http://its.psu.edu/

About Penn State University Libraries:

  The Penn State University Libraries currently rank 12th in North  
America among private and public research universities, based on  
Association for Research Libraries data. In 2006 Washington Monthly, a  
political, inside-the-beltway publication, ranked Penn State 3rd in  
the nation among public universities in preparing students to benefit  
the nation. The Libraries hold membership in ARL, OCLC, CRL and the  
Digital Library Federation. Collections exceed 5 million volumes,  
including more than 68,000 current serial subscriptions. The  
University Libraries are located at University Park and 23 other  
campuses throughout Pennsylvania, with approximately 6,000 faculty and  
42,000 students at University Park, and more than 82,000 students  
system wide.  For more information, please visit http://www.libraries.psu.edu/ 
  .

To submit an application for this position, please go to http://www.psu.jobs 
  (job number 29484).

=======================================================
Mairéad Martin										
Senior Director, Digital Library Technologies				
Information Technology Services									
The Pennsylvania State University