Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] BISAC Subject Headings Lookup or Crosswalk

From: Roy Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:40:13 -0800

The BISG licenses BISAC to institutions that want to incorporate the
terminology into their "internal systems"[1]. I'm not sure what this means
for API access. But an email to the BISG seems the minimum of due diligence.
Roy

[1] http://www.bisg.org/standards/bisac_subject/license.html

On 1/21/09 1/21/09 € 9:12 AM, "Ryan Eby" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows of a good BISAC Subject Headings
> source for looking up a recommended BISAC based on ISBN, LCSH, etc.
> I've found some pages on oclc.org saying they were starting work on
> crosswalks and possibly including them in WorldCat but I haven't seen
> any returned in any WorldCat api calls yet. I've also read that ONIX
> records often have a BISAC code, is there a good source that might
> cover many publishers?
> 
> http://www.bisg.org/standards/bisac_subject/index.html
> 
> http://www.oclc.org/dewey/updates/numbers/
> 
> eby
> 

--

---

From: "Ya'aqov Ziso" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:58:03 -0500

An Organization with revenue under $10 Million  pays an annual fee of $195
An Organization with revenue of $10 Million or higher pays an annual fee of
$395

Crosswalks to LCSH get us into the cost for LCSH+NAF. I haven¹t verified
that, but since LCSF/NAF are gov.docs they are not copy righted within the
US. That is, they can be shared by a consortium. More, soon.

Ya¹aqov Ziso, Bibliographic Systems Librarian, Rowan University 856 256 4804

---

From: Ryan Eby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:08:29 -0500

Yep, I caught the license information but it appeared that they didn't
really have much more than a list for you to use locally. More or less
stated how you line up their headings with your local items is up to
you. Probably won't pursue the cost until I know that it can be done
programmatically versus human recataloging.

eby