Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] XForms EAD editor sandbox available

From: Ralph LeVan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:56:21 -0500

There's been some discussion of the AutoSuggest services we're offering on 
the WorldCat Developers Network mailing list.  We have AutoSuggest services 
for our WorldCat Identities and VIAF databases.  I'm attaching some of the 
details for our Identities autosuggester below.  The demonstration of the VIAF 
autosuggester can be found at viaf.org/autosuggest.html.

Let me know if this looks useful.

Ralph

The new AutoSuggest service returns the following JSON in response to the 
letter 'b' (http://orlabs.oclc.org/identities/AutoSuggest?query=b):
{"query":"b","result":[
  {"term":"Bach, Johann Sebastian, 1685-1750", "arn":"oca00255223", 
"pndnumber":"102936056", "pndnumber":"13120193x", 
"pndnumber":"123920671", "pndnumber":"11850553x", 
"pndnumber":"11258019x","pndnumber":"103775625", "lccn":"n79-21425"},
  {"term":"Boz, 1812-
1870","arn":"oca00222790","pndnumber":"118525239","lccn":"n78-87607"},
  {"term":"Bloom, 
Harold","arn":"oca00237457","pndnumber":"119176602","lccn":"n79-3258"},
  {"term":"Beethoven, Ludwig van, 1770-1827", "arn":"oca00339691", 
"pndnumber":"131205293", "pndnumber":"118508288", "lccn":"n79-107741"},
  {"term":"Bonaparte, Napoleon, 1769-1821", "arn":"oca00288055", 
"pndnumber":"131036114", "lccn":"n79-54933"},
  {"term":"Bolatu","arn":"oca00370723","pndnumber":"118594893","lccn":"n79-
139459"},
  {"term":"Blythe, William Jefferson, 1946-","arn":"oca00726781", 
"pndnumber":"119063395","lccn":"n82-29644"},
  {"term":"Bush, George W. 1946- (George Walker)", "arn":"oca03941398", 
"pndnumber":"12145391x", "lccn":"no95-49848"},
  {"term":"Blessed Virgin Mary, 
Saint","arn":"oca00564383","pndnumber":"118711237","lccn":"n81-18544"},
  {"term":"Boy, Ētkar, 1809-
1849","arn":"oca00263409","pndnumber":"11859527x","lccn":"n79-29745"}]}

You'll see that I'm returning every control number I can for each term.

All the URL's previously posted are still good, but here they are again:
  Example use of the service: 
http://orlabs.oclc.org/identities/autosuggest.html.
  The AutoSuggest service for Identities: 
http://orlabs.oclc.org/identities/AutoSuggest
  The SRU database underlying the service: 
http://orlabs.oclc.org/identities/search/AutoSuggestIdentities

---

From: Ethan Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:47:50 -0500

On the note of autosuggest, I done some successful experimentation with
autosuggest in Orbeon that accesses controlled vocabulary for subjects used
in the Virginia Heritage Project EAD guides from a Solr index through the
TermsComponent function now available in 1.4.  The code has been pushed to
the sandbox, example:
http://beta.scholarslab.org:9080/orbeon/ead/?guide=test1 .  Under Controlled
Access Headings in <archdesc> or in components, the Subject field is now
tied to results accessed through Solr's REST interface.  While new subjects
entered into the input boxes are not pushed into Solr index upon saving the
guide, it would be very easy to do that.

In any case, I would like to see further conversion about controlled
vocabulary services and how they can be integrated into XForms editors on
the new [email-masked] list that Adam Soroka created
earlier this afternoon.

Ethan Gruber
University of Virginia Library