Subject: [CODE4LIB] extra computers

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:16:27 -0400

How do y'all suggest I put to good use the increasing number of extra
computers I have lying around my house?

You would think I was starting a computer museum with the number of
decommissioned computers I have at home. A few Macintoshes and a couple of
Intel-based machines. (Not to mention the TI-99A, or whatever.) I don't
really need backup. I don't really need a Web server. Maybe I could use
these computers as some sort of CPU Farm to do some sort of interesting
computing.

Any suggestions?

-- 
Eric Lease Morgan

---

From: Jim Tuttle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:28:01 -0400

> these computers as some sort of CPU Farm to do some sort of interesting

One possibility would be to find somewhere to donate them.  Many cities
have non-profits that recycle computers to low-income families and
provide training.

Jim

-- 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Jim Tuttle
http://braggtown.com

---

From: Joe Atzberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:45:18 -0400

Check for a local branch of freegeek for rehabilitation and environmental
disposal:

http://www.freegeek.org/

Columbus has one, so South Bend might too.

--Joe

---

From: Joe Hourcle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:56:36 -0400

> these computers as some sort of CPU Farm to do some sort of interesting

If your collection is anything like the number of machines that I have 
collecting in my basement, they might be okay for people learning how to 
set up networks and the like, but they're a waste of money as a comute
farm.

The problem is, they're older processors which offer less performance per 
watt compared to today's machines.  You're often better off buying new, 
low-end hardware if you're going to be running folding@home 24x7 than 
running it on machines more than a few years old.

Other than 'learning to connect lots of machines' aspect (for which most 
of my machines are just too old to even make that worthwhile), the only 
other use for old hardware is to convert it into appliance-type machines 
where you don't quite need top-of-the line specs.  Eg, the emulator in an
arcade cabinet isn't going to come near pegging a modern CPU; a small BSD 
box to act as a file/music server or a small HTTP server for testing.

Now, it's possible that your machines aren't quite as old as mine ... and 
I have a few PPC macintoshes, but also some 68030 and 68040 machines, some 
old AMD and Intel boxes, and even a few pre-sparc suns and a Vic 20.

-Joe

---

From: "Patrick K. Etienne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:57:19 -0400

Depending on your amount of free bandwidth, there are some interesting  
distributed computing projects that you might be able to contribute  
to. SETI@Home is the largest, and probably most popular, but there are  
all sorts of initiatives in Biology, Mathematics, Physics and other  
fields. Here's a great listing from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

Wouldn't work on a TRS-80 or something of that age of course, but if  
you have "newer-older" machines (old Macs/Intels), could be a fun  
pursuit :)

  - Patrick

On Mar 17, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Joe Atzberger wrote:

>>> decommissioned computers I have at home. A few Macintoshes and a  
>>> couple
>> of

---
Patrick K. Étienne
Systems Analyst
Digital Library Development
Library and Information Center
Georgia Institute of Technology
email: [email-masked]
phone: 404.385.8121

---

From: Chris Barr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:05:34 -0400

For those in the Philadelphia area, there is Nonprofit Technology Resources:

http://www.ntronline.org/

(They shares some of their space with The Hacktory: http://thehacktory.org/)

--chris

Joe Atzberger wrote:
>>> decommissioned computers I have at home. A few Macintoshes and a couple
>>>       
>> of
>>