Subject: [CODE4LIB] Suggest a keynote speaker for Code4Lib 2010!

From: Andreas Orphanides <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:24:06 -0400

Hi folks,

The time has come once again to commence discussion of possible keynote speakers 
for the upcoming Code4Lib 2010 conference in Asheville!

If you've got any suggestions for a speaker who'd be engaging, knowledgeable, 
and foolhardy enough to accept this high honor, throw their names to the list 
for discussion.

We here at Code4Lib 2010 World Headquarters, deep under the sea, will accept 
nominations until *September 16, 2009*. Shortly thereafter we will open the 
polls for online voting.

All suggestions and comments are welcome! Discuss away!

Andreas Orphanides
Code4Lib 2010 Keynote Speakers Committee

---

From: Brett Bonfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:39:37 -0400

Mark Pilgrim (diveintomark.org):

* He knows (real world, not necessarily library) standards about as
well as anyone and advocates strongly for what's simple and practical
(check out his work on Atom and HTML5), but he's also an advocate for
doing what's right even when it's not necessarily easy
(http://diveintoaccessibility.org/)

* He's updating Dive Into Python (http://diveintopython3.org/)

* He's funny, writes well, and seems to be articulate in person (based
on his short-lived video log)

* He lives in NC

* His mother was a librarian
(http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/02/more_on_social_networks)

Brett

Brett Bonfield
Director
Collingswood Public Library
[email-masked]
856.858.0649

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Andreas
Orphanides<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The time has come once again to commence discussion of possible keynote
> speakers for the upcoming Code4Lib 2010 conference in Asheville!
>
> If you've got any suggestions for a speaker who'd be engaging,
> knowledgeable, and foolhardy enough to accept this high honor, throw their
> names to the list for discussion.
>

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:45:58 -0400

I suggest Richard Stahlman because: 1) he has repeatedly expressed an  
interest in attending, and 2) he apparently wants to tell us the real/ 
true meaning of free and open source software.

-- 
Eric Morgan

---

From: "Mark A. Matienzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:51:38 -0400

I second Mark Pilgrim.

Also, I'd like to nominate Daniel Pitti
<http://iath.virginia.edu/~dvp4c> - formerly an authority control
librarian, now a co-director for University of Virginia's Institute
for Advanced Technology in the Humanities. He's been the chief
technical architect for EAD and EAC (Encoded Archival Context), a
companion data model thats much more machine-oriented and linked
data-friendly. He's also worked on some really great, innovative
digital humanities projects.

Mark A. Matienzo
Applications Developer, Digital Experience Group
The New York Public Library

---

From: Mike Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:52:48 +0100

2009/7/23 Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>:
> interest in attending, and 2) he apparently wants to tell us the real/true
> meaning of free and open source software.

That would be AWESOME.

---

From: "Edward M. Corrado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:57:07 -0400

>> meaning of free and open source software.
I'd love to have Stallman as a keynote. I didn't know he expressed 
interest in attending. Just don't invite Eric Raymond on the same day!

Edward

---

From: Jim Tuttle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:04:35 -0400

I'd love to have Mark Pilgrim give the keynote.  Of course, I'd also
like to get RMS to sign my copy of Free Software, Free Society.

-- 
----------------------------
Jim Tuttle
Digital Repository Librarian
Digital Library Initiatives
NCSU Libraries
919.513.0651

---

From: "Frumkin, Jeremy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:06:35 -0700

Sent from my mobile phone

On Jul 23, 2009, at 10:56 AM, "Edward M. Corrado"
> interest in attending. Just don't invite Eric Raymond on the same day!

That would really be awesome! :)

(if my memory serves me correctly, doesn't dchud have some experience  
here?)

-- had

---

From: Jim Tuttle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:10:44 -0400

Yeah, don't ever invite Eric Raymond.

---

From: Ranti Junus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:11:16 -0400

I think Richard Stallman would be interesting. Just make sure somebody
is ready to drag him away when his time is up. He's a, er, very
passionate speaker.

ranti.

-- 
Bulk mail.  Postage paid.

---

From: Galen Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:47:41 -0400

Hi,

> is ready to drag him away when his time is up. He's a, er, very

And particular, perhaps we can invite him without inviting Saint Ignucius? [1]

[1] http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2009072001335NWCY

Regards,

Galen

---

From: Andrew Nagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:54:13 -0400

Stallman would be incredible!  Watch the movie Revolution OS if you haven't
yet.

---

From: Andrew Nagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:55:56 -0400

I'd also be happy to nominate my old boss Joe Lucia at Villanova.  He is a
Library Director who fully supports Open Source software and speaks on it
from time to time.  He was the keynote speaker at the recent Evergreen
conference.

Andrew

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Andreas Orphanides <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> We here at Code4Lib 2010 World Headquarters, deep under the sea, will
> accept nominations until *September 16, 2009*. Shortly thereafter we will
> open the polls for online voting.
>

---

From: David Fiander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:20:20 -0400

If you were to invite Stallman as your keynote, that would certainly
make me feel better about the fact that I have to miss Code4Lib again
this year.

---

From: Roy Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:38:37 -0700

I hadn't wanted to rain on the parade, but David's comment inspires me to do
so. Does anyone really think we will hear anything new from Richard
Stallman? I mean, seriously?
Roy

--

---

From: "Mark A. Matienzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:45:27 -0400

I don't think so. I'd be inclined to suggest someone else in lieu of
rms who would prove more interesting, like Clifford Lynch...

Mark A. Matienzo

---

From: David Fiander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:49:11 -0400

Roy, completely aside from the "nothing new" aspect (apparently he's
been giving EXACTLY the same speech for going on two decades now),
there's the whole "driving women out of the community" aspect, that we
certainly have enough problem with already.

http://opensourcetogo.blogspot.com/2009/07/emailing-richard-stallman.html

---

From: "McDonald, Robert H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:56:20 -0400

An interesting person somewhere between Lynch and RMS is Stephen Downes (http://www.downes.ca/) - he is a great speaker and works with the Canadian National Research Council. He would definitely bring a more teaching and learning perspective to his talk.

Best,

Robert

On 7/23/09 12:45 PM, "Mark A. Matienzo" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Mark A. Matienzo

>>>> Code4Lib 2010 Keynote Speakers Committee

**********************************
Robert H. McDonald
Associate Dean for Library Technologies
Associate Director, Data to Insight Center-Pervasive Technology Institute
Indiana University
Herman B Wells Library 234
1320 East 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812-856-4834
Email: [email-masked]
Skype/GTalk: rhmcdonald
AIM/MSN: rhmcdonald1

---

From: Mark Jordan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:57:58 -0700

I've also seen Stephen talk and he offers a nice blend of tech, metadata, and end-user perspective. 

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Voice: 778.782.5753 / Fax: 778.782.3023
[email-masked]

----- "Robert H. McDonald" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> An interesting person somewhere between Lynch and RMS is Stephen
> Downes (http://www.downes.ca/) - he is a great speaker and works with
> the Canadian National Research Council. He would definitely bring a
> more teaching and learning perspective to his talk.
> 
> Best,
> 
> Robert
> 
>

---

From: Jay Luker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:58:18 -0400

I nominate Peter Moreville.

I also suggest folks save their RMS love/hate for the voting booth.
The man's been nominated. Let's move on.

--jay

---

From: "Michael B. Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:00:01 -0700

I'd love to hear from programmer/math geek/xkcd creator/all-around genius
Randall Munroe. His Authors@Google talk was pretty entertaining, and he
seems like the kind of guy who would put some effort into surprising and
engaging the crowd he's talking to.

But since I also like giving people options, I'll also nominate Penny Leach
<http://she.geek.nz/>, 2009 Google Open Source Award winner in the "Best
Education Hacker" category, and a contributor to both Moodle and Mahara.
From her blog: "This is a website about me. I am just this girl, who works
on open source web based education stuff, and drinks too much."

Michael

---

From: Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:52:32 -0400

Yeah, just to counter the pro-Stallman mania, I personally would be 
completely non-plussed by Stallman as a keynote speaker, based on my 
experience seeing him before. But I guess that's why we vote.

---

From: "Kevin S. Clarke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:14:55 -0400

Hey,

I'd find it useful if people who are submitting names would also
submit a brief description for your suggestion (what s/he is famous
for, why s/he'd be a good keynote, etc. - I know some of you already
did this)  Think of it as courting the lazy crowd (ie, people who
won't Google a name)... with a bunch of programmers, this might be a
good sized contingent.

Thanks,
Kevin

-- 
Kevin S. Clarke
Coordinator of Web Services
Belk Library & Information Commons
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone, NC 28608

[email-masked]
(828) 262-8472

"There are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe there
are two kinds of people and those who know better."

---

From: Laura Smart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:02:09 -0700

Love Cliff.  Really!  But he's at practically every library-related
conference speaking anyway.
Laura

Laura J. Smart
Metadata Services Manager, Caltech Library
[email-masked]/[email-masked]

--

---

From: Jay Luker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:51:59 -0400

> won't Google a name)... with a bunch of programmers, this might be a

Amen. It would also be great if folks could properly spell the names
of those they are nominating...

Peter Morville--not "Moreville"--is most commonly known as the author
of "Ambient Findability", and co-author of "Information Architecture
for the World Wide Web". He's president and founder of Semantic
Studios [1], teacher at UMich, and blogger at findability.org [2].

[1] http://www.semanticstudios.com
[2] http://findability.org

--jay

---

From: "Lovins, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:13:53 -0400

I nominate Jonathan Zittrain [1], co-founder of Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet and Society [2] (where David Weinberger is a fellow [3]) and author of "The Future of the Internet and How to Stop It" [4]. 

I heard him speak at a conference last year, largely on the implications of the Google Book deal. He was speaking without notes, very entertaining and knowledgeable both on technical and legal details. Also, according to his bio [1]," He was co-counsel with Lawrence Lessig in Eldred v. Ashcroft, challenging the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998." And "performed the first large-scale tests of Internet filtering in China and Saudi Arabia in 2002"

[1] http://futureoftheinternet.org/about 
[2] http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/ 
[3] http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/dweinberger 
[4] http://futureoftheinternet.org/

---

From: Ed Summers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:41:34 -0400

> I nominate Jonathan Zittrain [1], co-founder of Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet and Society [2] (where David Weinberger is a fellow [3]) and author of "The Future of the Internet and How to S…

+1

---

From: Bess Sadler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:17:55 -0400

I nominate Paul Jones, the director of ibiblio.org. He's a poet,  
teaches at a journalism school and a library school, he's a part of  
internet and open source history (how many of you downloaded your  
first linux distro from sunsite.unc.edu?) and he's a fantastic public  
speaker.

Here's an extract from his website (http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/):

Although often mistaken for other unreconstructed relics of the failed  
social policies of the Sixties, Paul Jones is the Director of  
ibiblio.org, a project that includes the Site Formerly Known as  
MetaLab and SunSITE, The Public's Library -- a large contributor-run  
digital library. Besides speaking at several conferences world-wide,  
Paul teaches on the faculties of the School of Journalism and Mass  
Communication  and the School of Information and Library Science. He  
can be found many places on the Internet. He was the original manager  
of SunSITE.unc.edu, one of the first WWW sites in North America and is  
co-author of The Web Server Book (Ventana, 1995) (rereleased as The  
Unix Web Server Book, Second Edition Ventana, 1997). Jones has an  
additional on-going research interest in Open Source and Sharing  
Communities and Information policy issues as well as being an actively  
publishing poet. Paul is the editor of the Internet Poetry Archives,  
published with UNC Press.

Paul is a founding board member of the American Open Technology  
Consortium, a member of the Board of Trustees of Chapel Hill Public  
Library, and a board member of the Linux Documentation Project. But he  
is most pleased to have been admitted into the Luxuriant Flowing Hair  
Club for Scientists and to have been selected in April 2003 as Best  
Geek in the Research Triangle by the Independent Weekly.

Elizabeth (Bess) Sadler
Chief Architect for the Online Library Environment
Box 400129
Alderman Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904

[email-masked]
(434) 243-2305

---

From: Roy Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:24:27 -0700

Great nomination Bess! I've known Paul for years, although unfortunately my
interactions with him in recent years have been few. In addition to the bio
below, he's funny and his sense of humor gains an additional kick by being
delivered in a Southern drawl. <hyperbole>I'd run over kids in strollers to
hear him speak.</hyperbole>
Roy

--

---

From: Cary Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:27:46 -0700

I think that Mitchell Baker, Chair of the Mozilla Foundation is an excellent
speaker, and perhaps a more modern evangelist for open source and a
gimmick-free web.
Cary

-- 
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company
http://chillco.com

---

From: Karen Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:02:42 -0400

I am making a meta-comment that I for one appreciate the additional
pre-vote discussion and that the voting booth is where I vote *after I
have gathered input for my voting decision.*

Mark Pilgrim would be cool, though I for one don't actually hear Cliff
Lynch all that often, not where I go, and so he's a treat for me.
She's not a developer-type, but Joan Frye Williams has a lot of
insights that she might be willing to turn towards the issues C4L
discusses. They might not be what we want to hear, but sometimes
that's a good thing.

-- 
-- 
| Karen G. Schneider
| Community Librarian
| Equinox Software Inc. "The Evergreen Experts"
| Toll-free: 1.877.Open.ILS (1.877.673.6457) x712
| [email-masked]
| Web: http://www.esilibrary.com

---

From: Jodi Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:18:50 -0400

I nominate Cathy Marshall, Senior Researcher at Microsoft Research. She's
working in personal digital archiving and personal information management.
I've been really impressed with two of her recent projects: a talk at ASIST
'08 about myths of digital archiving [1] and her JCDL 2009 paper "No bull,
No spin"[2]--which examined zillions of flickr photos of a particular
tourist attraction to understand how they used tags.

Despite being a serious researcher, Cathy is very down-to-earth (check her
twitter feed http://twitter.com/ccmarshall or her older and sometimes
bizarre hypertext art). I think she'd be a great keynoter for Code4Lib.

Her homepages:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/cathymar/
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~marshall/

[1] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/cathymar/asist-marshall.pdf
[2] http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=80591

---

From: Roy Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:11:36 -0700

I'd like to second the Joan Frye Williams nomination, mostly because I know
of few people with such a practical bent and I think it would be helpful to
hear her perspective on what library coders might be able to do to help the
largest number of people.

Also, I'd like to ask the ad hoc committee if they are capturing these
nominations somewhere. May I suggest the wiki, where we can all see them?
It's too difficult to keep track of all the email. Thanks,
Roy

--

---

From: "Lovins, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:42:13 -0400

I'm happy to create that wiki page, unless someone else already started one. (I don't see anything linked off of here yet: http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/C4L2010planning )  /Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roy Tennant
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Suggest a keynote speaker for Code4Lib 2010!

--

---

From: "Lovins, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:25:53 -0400

OK. I created a list here: http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/Nominations_list

Hope I didn't miss anything; and my apologies to the ad hoc nominations committee if I'm stepping on their turf.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roy Tennant
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Suggest a keynote speaker for Code4Lib 2010!

--

---

From: "Kevin S. Clarke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:46:51 -0400

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Lovins, Daniel<[email-masked]> wrote:
> my apologies to the ad hoc nominations committee if I'm stepping on their turf.

Not at all!  The more hands the merrier...

Kevin

[email-masked]
(828) 262-8472

---

From: Chad Fennell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:19:14 -0500

I nominate Andy Lester, author of ack "a grep replacement" and
itinerant speaker on "Technical Debt" and employment in the tech
world.  He's a Perl guru working in the publishing indsutry.  Andy's
"Technical Debt" lecture would be a good fit, IMO, for the code4lib
group.

Technical Debt Talk:
http://www.media-landscape.com/yapc/2006-06-26.AndyLester/
Employment Stuff:
http://theworkinggeek.com/

He spoke at OSCON year on a couple of topics:
http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/schedule/speaker/6552

find him at twitter at: http://twitter.com/PetDance

Cheers,
-Chad

---

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:44:25 -0400

I nominate Patrick Ball [1], director of the Human Rights Data Analysis 
Group [2] and lead on Martus (which is FLOSS) [3].

I've never heard him talk but I admire the project, which is about 
gathering and analyzing enormous amounts of data and making it accessible 
and understandable to make the world a better place, like we do---except 
they do it about torture and human rights violations.

Here's a video of him leading a panel at Berkeley recently:

http://fora.tv/2009/05/04/Human_Rights_Databases_Data_Sharing_and_Data_Security

"Benetech HRDAG develops database software, data collection strategies, 
and statistical techniques to measure human rights atrocities. Our 
technology and analysis is used by truth commissions, international 
criminal tribunals, and non-governmental human rights organizations around 
the world. Our analysis identifies the trends and patterns which is the 
evidence of crimes of policy. "

"Martus is a secure information management tool that allows you to create 
a searchable and encrypted database and back this data up remotely to your 
choice of publicly available servers. The Martus software is used by 
organizations around the world to protect sensitive information and shield 
the identity of victims or witnesses who provide testimony on human rights 
abuses. Martus is the Greek word for witness."

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Ball
[2] http://www.hrdag.org/
[3] http://www.martus.org/

Bill
-- 
William Denton, Toronto : miskatonic.org www.frbr.org openfrbr.org

---

From: "King, James (NIH/OD/ORS) [E]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:37:27 -0400

Hi,

I nominate two possibilities:

*****************************
Jeff Patterson
CEO of Safari Books

Safari Books is the online host of the O'Reilly Book series.  Jeff is a very down-to-earth guy but is also 'geeky' enough to work with this crowd.

BIO:

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/Corporate/Company/boardDirectors.php

Jeff Patterson joined Safari Books Online from CMP Technology LLC, where he served in a number of senior executive positions over nine years. His most recent position was president of the Business Technology Group that included leading IT media brands such as InformationWeek, TechWeb and the Web 2.0 Conference. 

Prior to CMP, he co-founded Beacon Technology Partners LLC, a market research firm specializing in measuring IT audience behavior and attitudes, and held management positions in media, manufacturing and advertising companies including Cahners Publishing Company (now Reed Business Information); National Semiconductor; Foote, Cone & Belding/San Francisco; Raychem Corporation; and Pinne, Garvin & Hock/San Francisco. Jeff earned his B.A. from the University of California, Berkeley.

*******************************
Tim O'Reilly
Founder and CEO of O'Reilly Media

We can dream, can't we?  In case you don't see the connection, he is the CEO of O'Reilly, home of the technology series of books named after him and author of radar.oreilly.com.  I've tried to get him for a keynote for a conference and he accepted but the conference decided to go another route so I know he will consider keynotes for technology crowds.

BIO:

http://oreilly.com/oreilly/tim_bio.html

Tim O'Reilly is the founder and CEO of O'Reilly Media, thought by many to be the best computer book publisher in the world. The company also publishes online through the O'Reilly Network and hosts conferences on technology topics. Tim is an activist for open source, open standards, and sensible intellectual property laws.

Since 1978, Tim has led the company's pursuit of its core goal: to be a catalyst for technology change by capturing and transmitting the knowledge of "alpha geeks" and other innovators. His active engagement with technology communities drives both the company's product development and its marketing. Tim has built a culture where advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism are key tenets of the business philosophy.

-James
_______________________________
James King, MLS
Information Architect
National Institutes of Health Library
Building 10, Room 1L-07A
10 Center Drive, MSC 1150
Bethesda, MD 20892-1150
Phone: (301) 496-2187
Fax: (301) 402-0254
E-mail: [email-masked]
http://nihlibrary.nih.gov/
_______________________________
Amazing Research. Amazing Help.

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andreas Orphanides
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Suggest a keynote speaker for Code4Lib 2010!

Hi folks,

Andreas Orphanides

---

From: Rosalyn Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:30:25 -0400

Hey James,

Tim (or his bot...there is speculation) just tweeted this:

http://twitter.com/timoreilly/statuses/2874552986

so maybe your dream is closer to reality than you think.

Rosalyn

---

From: Galen Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:50:57 -0400

Hi,

> "Technical Debt" lecture would be a good fit, IMO, for the code4lib

Andy has another connection of interest to Code4Lib - he wrote the
MARC::Record Perl module.

Regards,

Galen

---

From: "Fleming, Declan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:05:45 -0700

Nope.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdpix/sets/72157594563099385/

D

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roy Tennant
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Suggest a keynote speaker for Code4Lib 2010!

--

---

From: Ranti Junus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:47:27 -0400

I'd like to nominate two people (in no particular preference or order)
because of their involvements in community-based activities. I think
having somebody talks about community for the code4lib would be great.

1. Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Jono Bacon works at Canonical as the Ubuntu Community Manager and
works to grow and lead the world-wide Ubuntu community. He wrote
several books[1] and currently is working on a book titled the Art Of
Community published by O’Reilly. According to their site [2], "the
book will also be freely available online to enjoy, share and modify
under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike Non-Commercial
license."  The draft of the first chapter is available online.[3]

Bacon previously had worked as a professional Open Source advocate at
the UK government funded OpenAdvantage. He is a member of the Open
Source community, co-founder and presenter of LugRadio, contributor to
projects such as Jokosher, KDE and GNOME, and SeveredFifth music
project.[4]

2. Benjamin Mako Hill - http://mako.cc/
Ben Mako Hill is a Senior Researcher at the MIT Sloan School of
Management, a Fellow at the MIT Center for Future Civic Media, and an
adviser and contractor for the One Laptop per Child project. He has
been a leader, developer, and contributor to the Free and Open Source
Software community as part of the Debian and Ubuntu projects. He
authored "The Official Ubuntu handbook" (together with Jono Bacon) and
"Hacking Knoppix", among other things [5], and a member of the Free
Software Foundation board of directors.

I had a pleasure to listening to Ben Mako Hill's experience during an
OLPC XO get together [6] at PenguiCon 2008 [7].

[1] http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_bks&q=bacon%2C+jono
[2] http://www.artofcommunityonline.org/about/
[3] http://www.artofcommunityonline.org/2009/07/16/chapter-1-released/
[4] http://www.severedfifth.com/
[5] http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=hill%2C+benjamin+mako
[6] http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranti/2433871703/in/set-72157604675836466/
[7] http://penguicon.org

-- 
Bulk mail.  Postage paid.

---

From: Ross Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:51:53 -0400

> 1. Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/

Plus, let's face it, there's an obvious Code4lib cultural reference
opportunity for the backchannel here.

-Ross.

---

From: Andreas Orphanides <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:48:54 -0400

Hi all,

This is a quick reminder that in TWO WEEKS, September 16, 2009, the period for 
nominating speakers for Code4Lib2010 will be coming to a close. If you haven't 
already gotten your nominations in, do so soon! And if you haven't already 
publicly voiced your admiration of or revulsion towards a particular candidate, 
your time is running out!

Shortly after the end of the nomination period, we'll set some online approval 
voting. On or about September 21, we will commence a 2-week voting period. This 
will be followed by a period of frantic scrambling as we try to secure the 
most-adored (or least-reviled) speaker to join us in Asheville.

See you in beautiful Asheville, NC,
Andreas Orphanides
Keynote Committee