Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting: ILS and Discovery Systems Specialist, NYU Libraries

From: Corey Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:55:12 -0400

*** Apologies for Cross Posting ***

ILS and Discovery Systems Specialist

The NYU's Division of Libraries seeks the ideal candidate for the ILS
and Discovery Systems Specialist position. This position will play a
lead role in implementing new technologies for both inventory control
and discovery systems. The selected candidate will collaborate with the
Metadata Services Librarian, Web Development team and Database
Administrator to develop workflow and criteria for importing and
exporting data and metadata to/from various systems including the
Integrated Library System (ILS), web-based discovery system, federated
search tool and open URL resolver. This newly created position plays an
integral role in supporting both virtual and physical access to the
Libraries collections, irrespective of format or location.  This
position reports to the Metadata Services Librarian

Initially, the position will be focused on stabilizing and optimizing
the ILS environment. The successful candidate will perform data analysis
on metadata record structures in various applications, databases and
external formats, including ExLibris and III catalogs, federated search
tools, DSpace, Luna, ARTstor, SOLR, flat files (.txt, .xml, .csv),
spreadsheets, Archivists Toolkit, etc. as well as design and implement
routines, scripts and methods for record extraction and transformation
into various output formats (MARC, XML, .txt, etc.).

Additionally, the work will contribute to the development of new ILS
functionality, implementation of upgrades and extend the scope and reach
of library search interfaces. The ideal candidate will contribute to
research and development, prototyping and implementation of initiatives
and projects that serve to integrate Library Applications and library
data with other web services and with the digital library.

The ideal candidate for this position will possess a Bachelor's degree
in computer science, information science, library science or similar
field, as well as 3 years' related experience or an equivalent
combination of education and experience. Other requirements are:

* Must include demonstrated experience with XML and XSLT,
* Experience working on Linux / Unix servers,
* Experience doing data analysis on a variety of data formats, and
knowledge of metadata standards, including MARC and Dublin Core.
* Experience working in a library environment and knowledge of library
technology protocols such as OpenURL, OAI-PMH, Z39.50, SRU/W,
* Experience with SOLR, experience writing scripts in Perl, PHP, or bash
or with writing applications in Java or Ruby and knowledge of database
architecture and SQL are all preferred.

NYU offers a superior benefits package, which includes free NYU tuition
for self and eligible family members, generous vacation, medical, dental
and pension plans. For more information and to apply for this position
online (20090495), visit our web site at:
http://www.nyucareers.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=50984 (Please
copy URL to your browser.) Please select "N2" when asked, "How were you
referred to NYU?" We accept online applications only.

NYU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

-- 
Corey A Harper
Metadata Services Librarian
New York University Libraries
20 Cooper Square, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10003-7112
212.998.2479
[email-masked]