Subject: [CODE4LIB] Linked Data program at ALA Annual Conference

From: Jennifer Bowen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:39:34 -0400

The following program is part of ALA President Jim Rettig’s “Grassroots
Program” initiative, and so is not listed as either an ALCTS or a LITA
program.  However, it should be of interest to members of both Associations!

You are cordially invited to attend the following presentation at the ALA
Annual Conference in Chicago:

From Legacy Data to Linked Data:  Preparing Libraries for Web 3.0
Monday, June 13th, 8:00-10:00 AM Hilton Lake Ontario Room

How can library cataloging data be transformed to function within “Web 3.0”
and be understood by non-library web applications?  Speakers from both the
library and Semantic Web communities will explore the situation in a
non-technical manner and describe current work underway to transform legacy
library data into linked data. 

Speakers:
Eric Miller, President, Zepheira, Inc.
Diane Hillmann, Director of Metadata Initiatives, Information Institute of
Syracuse
Jennifer Bowen, Co-Principal Investigator, eXtensible Catalog Project,
University of Rochester
Rebecca Guenther, Senior Networking and Standards Specialist, Network
Development & MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress
Moderator:
Corey A. Harper, Metadata Services Librarian, New York University

Please join us for an interesting program and discussion!

Jennifer Bowen