Subject: [CODE4LIB] Position available: Lead Developer - NCSU Libraries – Raleigh, NC

From: Emily Lynema <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:54:20 -0500

Note: Feel free to contact me with any questions about this position 
([email-masked]). We intend to move quickly and are already 
reviewing resumes, so please send me an email if you think you might apply.

-emily lynema

--------------------------------------------

Working Title: Lead Developer
Position Title: Business & Technology Applications Specialist

The NC State University Libraries seeks an experienced developer to help 
lead development efforts within the IT department. This development unit 
is responsible for supporting the core information systems in the 
library, from building and maintaining enterprise-level applications to 
implementing and supporting open source and vendor solutions. The lead 
developer will serve as the technical backbone of a unit with 3 
developers. He or she will have primary oversight over E-Matrix, an 
electronic resources and serials management system built in-house at 
NCSU Libraries and will play a key role in efforts to make E-Matrix 
available as an open source project in the future. In addition, this 
position will have the opportunity to work on a variety of other 
projects including an open source course reserves system created at 
Emory University (ReservesDirect) and a new administrative information 
system being designed from the ground up.

Responsibilities include designing and developing applications, managing 
projects and deadlines, providing technical mentoring for 2 junior 
developers, serving as technical lead on business-focused product 
management teams, and investigating new technologies. As lead developer, 
this position is responsible for helping architect, design, and plan for 
all new development within the unit.

We are looking for someone who would be able to jump right into learning 
a complex enterprise-level application built on top of PostgreSQL, Java 
(Hibernate and Spring), XML/JSON web services, and ExtJS. Other 
supported tools within this unit also utilize MySQL and PHP. Experience 
with application and database design is a must. Knowledge of code 
management repositories (Subversion) is a plus. Must have good 
communication skills, the ability to participate in a team development 
environment, and a willingness to learn about library metadata and 
business processes.

Salary is based on experience and qualifications, but expected hiring 
range is $75,000 – 80,000.

NCSU Libraries is a fast-paced, innovative environment with no shortage 
of interesting problems to solve. For a detailed list of required and 
preferred skills or to apply, visit http://jobs.ncsu.edu and search for 
position #40024.

Position is currently available, and will remain open until filled. 
Review of applications is ongoing.

-- 
Emily Lynema
Systems Librarian for Digital Projects
Information Technology, NCSU Libraries
919-513-8031
[email-masked]