Subject: [CODE4LIB] Top three levels of Dewey Decimal Classification published as linked data

From: "Panzer,Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:14:22 -0400

Hi all (and sorry for cross-posting),

I would like to announce the availability of the DDC Summaries as a
linked data service that uses SKOS and other vocabularies for
representation [1]. Please take a look if you like. Comments,
suggestions, and advice are really appreciated!

Dewey.info makes the top 1000 classes of the Dewey Decimal
Classification available in nine languages. The service does some
content negotiation to determine whether to serve XHTML+RDFa or RDF/XML.
Other serializations (Turtle, JSON) are available also. The content is
licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC-ND, expressed in RDFa and RDF
using the ccREL properties.

An overview of the service can be found in the OCLC Developers Network
wiki [2]. Some URLs to try:

http://dewey.info/class/641/
http://dewey.info/class/641/about.rdf
http://dewey.info/class/641/2009/about.fr
http://dewey.info/class/64/2003/
http://dewey.info/class/6/2003/08/about.de.rdf
http://dewey.info/class/6/2003/08/about.de.html
http://dewey.info/class/6/e22/about

The DDC Summaries, while being a relatively small part of the DDC, are
hopefully a good first step to get a feel for a couple of things:
developing a SKOS model for a large universal classification;
structuring access to multilingual and time-variant KOS data; testing
URI patterns; etc. More will be added after the initial approach has
been weighed on the scales. At the moment, (most of) the data is only
linked to itself, but since the DDC is actively used worldwide and has
been widely applied and mapped to other vocabularies, other links (and
some more languages) should be added soon.

Cheers
Michael

[1] http://dewey.info
[2] http://worldcat.org/devnet/wiki/DeweyInfoTechOverview