Subject: [CODE4LIB] job : java programmer, NASA/Goddard

From: Joe Hourcle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:16:02 -0400

This isn't _exactly_ library related, but it's archive related, and 
there's still some library science / information science related issues 
that we're trying to work out where someone with experience in semantic 
technologies and data organization would be an asset.

...

The project involves a UI to display solar physics images ... sort of a 
google maps for pictures of the sun.  The current prototype is at:

 	http://achilles.nascom.nasa.gov/~dmueller/

There's also a parallel project to make a less featured web-based version:

 	http://helioviewer.org/

The job would be based out of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in 
Greenbelt, MD, so you'd need to be cleared to work in the US, and there's 
a number of background checks, but it's not the interview-everyone-you've-
ever-known sort like a military clearence.

Anyway, the official job posting is:

http://www.sesda2.com/SS022.htm

SS022 Java Programmer

We have an immediate opening for a full-time Java Programmer to help 
develop and maintain an advanced Web-based viewer for solar images that is 
capable of serving data in highly-compressed quality-progressive JPEG2000 
format. The viewer will be a vital tool for processing and analyzing the 
approximate terabyte of data produced daily by NASA's Solar Dynamics 
Observatory (SDO) that is expected to be launched in late 2009. A 
prototype version of the viewer (JHelioviewer) has been developed. Tasks 
of this position include: working with scientists and programmers to 
deploy a production version of the viewer in time for SDO launch; 
developing and testing Java software to ensure stable and efficient 
cross-platform performance; and improving existing JPEG2000 software to 
support advanced features such as region selection and animations.

The candidate is expected to have: good verbal and written communication 
skills; the ability to work independently and as part of a team; and the 
capability to solve problems and master new technologies. Familiarity with 
user interface design techniques and image formats such as JPEG2000 is a 
plus.

Requirements:
 	* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
 	* At least 1 year of Java
 	* At least 1 year Java Swing is a plus
 	* At least 1 year C++
 	* US Citizenship or Permanent Residence is required.

Please email your resume to: JOBS (at) SESDA2.COM for immediate 
consideration. Please note in the subject line of your email the position 
number (e.g., SS022) you are applying for.

Interested candidates may also contact Angie Martz: AMARTZ (at) SESDA2.COM

-----
Joe Hourcle
Principal Software Engineer
Solar Data Analysis Center
Goddard Space Flight Center

---

From: Joe Hourcle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:04:42 -0400

it seems that within 8 hrs of my mailing this out, the SESDA2 website was 
given a complete overhaul by someone who doesn't understand the "Cool 
URIs" mantra:

 	http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

Thanks to Kevin Clarke for pointing it out.  The new location is:

 	http://www.sesda2.com/careers/ss022-java-programmer/

... which doesn't say much about the job that I didn't already post, but 
it'd let you find some other software jobs in other departments, such as :

 	http://www.sesda2.com/careers/es060-software-developer/
 	http://www.sesda2.com/careers/gd040-senior-software-developer/
 	http://www.sesda2.com/careers/gd032-software-integration-tester/

Or if you have both a programming and physics background:

 	http://www.sesda2.com/careers/sd037-planetary-science-system-engineer/

-----
Joe Hourcle
Pricipal Software Engineer
Solar Data Analysis Center
Goddard Space Flight Center

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Joe Hourcle wrote:

> This isn't _exactly_ library related, but it's archive related, and there's 
> still some library science / information science related issues that we're 
> trying to work out where someone with experience in semantic technologies and 
> data organization would be an asset.
>
> ...
>
> Greenbelt, MD, so you'd need to be cleared to work in the US, and there's a 
> number of background checks, but it's not the interview-everyone-you've-
> We have an immediate opening for a full-time Java Programmer to help develop 
> and maintain an advanced Web-based viewer for solar images that is capable of 
> serving data in highly-compressed quality-progressive JPEG2000 format. The 
> viewer will be a vital tool for processing and analyzing the approximate 
> terabyte of data produced daily by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) 
> that is expected to be launched in late 2009. A prototype version of the 
> viewer (JHelioviewer) has been developed. Tasks of this position include: 
> working with scientists and programmers to deploy a production version of the 
> viewer in time for SDO launch; developing and testing Java software to ensure 
> stable and efficient cross-platform performance; and improving existing 
> JPEG2000 software to support advanced features such as region selection and 
> animations.
>