Subject: [CODE4LIB] eXtensible Catalog (XC) webcast and software availability!

From: David Lindahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:35:32 -0500

eXtensible Catalog webcast:

A new webcast that describes the eXtensible Catalog (XC) software is now 
available!   This presentation includes video, audio and animated slides 
describing all of the components of XC software, features, and architecture.  
In addition, recent screen shots of the XC Metadata Services Toolkit user 
interface are provided.

http://www.screencast.com/users/eXensibleCatalog

The webcast is a continuous presentation broken up into six parts for ease of 
viewing.  The total length is 70 minutes and each of the five XC applications is 
described in detail.  The links to each segment are annotated with a brief text 
description of the contents.

eXtensible Catalog software availability:

The XC team is currently in the final stages of making the XC software 
available.  The XC OAI Toolkit and the XC NCIP Toolkit are currently being 
readied for release under the MIT License 
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php).  Development and 
functionality enhancement will continue on these toolkits after release, but 
new development will take place on a publicly accessible code repository.

The XC Metadata Services, Drupal, and Learning Management System Toolkits 
are in varying stages of the design and development process.  We are making 
the code for each of these toolkits available via a publicly accessible code 
repository as well.  The Drupal and LMS Toolkits will be released under the 
GPLv3 (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html) license.

Our goal is to make everything available no later than March 30, 2009.  In 
addition, we are working to make design documentation such as software use 
cases available for public review and comment.

Please contact our project manager, Randy Cook 
([email-masked]) with any questions or for further information.

Thanks,
Dave Lindahl
Principal Investigator, eXtensible Catalog Project