Subject: [CODE4LIB] Developer position available - eXtensible Catalog Project

From: "Bowen, Jennifer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:31:17 -0500

University of Rochester, River Campus Libraries
eXtensible Catalog - R&D Software Engineer  

Full-Time, 40 Hours Per Week
10-Month, Temporary Position with Benefits

Position Summary: 

Working remotely or on site in Rochester, New York, this position is
responsible for software development and testing for eXtensible Catalog
software applications that are currently under development, primarily
metadata services to work with the XC Metadata Services Toolkit. This
position is part of the eXtensible Catalog project
(http://eXtensibleCatalog.org <http://eXtensibleCatalog.org> ) to
develop a suite of open-source next-generation library web applications.
This high-profile project will offer the selected candidate an
opportunity to work with a range of prominent developers from
distinguished partner institutions
(http://eXtensibleCatalog.org/partners
<http://eXtensibleCatalog.org/partners> ). 

The software will consist of five distinct applications, each designed
to work with library metadata in various XML formats, to integrate with
legacy systems, process data, and present web user interfaces.  The
applications are built with a number of technologies.  Experience with
some or all of the technologies listed below is highly desired and
conceptual familiarity is required for discussion purposes.  The core
list of technologies used in the eXtensible Catalog project includes:
Java, JSP, Struts 2 Framework, YUI Toolkit, SOLR, Lucene, mySQL, PHP,
Drupal, Blackboard Learning Management System, LDAP, web services, XML,
XSLT, and XML Schema.  Knowledge and/or familiarly with the following
library specific standards and technologies is desired: MARC format,
Dublin Core format, OAI-PMH Protocol, and NCIP Protocol.  Development
tools used include Subversion, Eclipse, NetBeans, and Microsoft Project.

Responsibilities and duties:

*         Design and implement a set of services that will plug in to a
new metadata services application framework (the XC Metadata Services
Toolkit) to implement cross-schema authority control and record
aggregation in an environment influenced by the data model, Functional
Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR).

*	Software development of web applications, including metadata
services, using Java, JSP, XML, Struts 2 Framework, YUI Toolkit, Apache
SOLR, and mySQL.
*	Software configuration management including version control,
status reporting, review, and defect tracking
*	Management of the bug tracking and feature request process using
web-based software currently in use
*	Completion of tasks in a self directed fashion

This position reports to the Co-Principal Investigator of the eXtensible
Catalog Project.  

Qualifications, Requirements, and Experience (Required)

*	Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering, Information
Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
*	Demonstrable software development and software configuration
management experience with listed programming languages and tools
*	Familiarity with software design methods, models, and standards
*	Excellent interpersonal skills as well as technical aptitude

BENEFITS: 

Salary is commensurate with background and experience. Excellent
benefits package includes choice of retirement programs including
TIAA/CREF.  Paid vacation and seven calendar holidays.  Tuition
benefits.   The University of Rochester  requires pre-employment
reference and background screening. 

Please send letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses and
phone numbers of three references to: 

Kelley Kitrinos
Human Resources Administrator
Rush Rhees Library, Box 270055
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY  14627-0055 
-OR-

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.

THE UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
EMPLOYER.