Subject: [CODE4LIB] yaoss4ll

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:49:45 -0500

I am in the process of creating YAOSS4LL (Yet Another Open Source Software For Libraries List), and I'm hoping to garner the expertise of our communities.

More specifically, I would like to create a (more or less) comprehensive list of library-related open source software in the following areas:

  * content management systems (CMS)
  * "discovery systems"
  * electronic resource management (ERM)
  * institutional repositories (IR)
  * integrated library systems (ILS)
  * resource sharing/interlibrary loan (ILL)

Unfortunately, I am being challenged when it comes to ERMs and resource sharing/ILL applications. The other areas seem well-developed. You can see what I've done so far at the following (temporary) link:

  http://infomotions.com/tmp/oss/

Do you have any suggestions or additions? Is your (favorite) library-related OSS application missing from my list?

-- 
Eric (Lease) Morgan

---

From: MJ Suhonos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:55:19 -0500

I would definitely nominate the Qubit Toolkit and the PKP software suite as candidates for this list:

http://qubit-toolkit.org/
http://pkp.sfu.ca/

Qubit is somewhat nascent, but is actively being developed and is fairly well-supported (by the ICA, UNESCO, LAC, among others), and the PKP suite (most known for Open Journal Systems) is very well-established in the academic library world internationally.

Roughly, I'd say that Qubit fits under "archival record manager/editor" (similar to Archon) and the PKP OAI harvester in particular fits somewhere under "discovery system" or similar (as an OAI aggregator).

MJ

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:16:11 -0500

> http://qubit-toolkit.org/

Perfecto! Added locally. Thank you.

-- 
Eric Morgan

---

From: "Westbrook, Bradley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:27:02 -0800

Eric,

Archivists' Toolkit (www.archiviststoolkit.org) is conspicuously absent
from  your list of library OS CMS systems.  

As you probably know, integration of AT and Archon is impending, a point
you might want to draw attention to in your list.  

Cheers,

Brad Westbrook
AT Project Manager

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Eric Lease Morgan
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 9:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] yaoss4ll

I am in the process of creating YAOSS4LL (Yet Another Open Source
Software For Libraries List), and I'm hoping to garner the expertise of
our communities.

More specifically, I would like to create a (more or less) comprehensive
list of library-related open source software in the following areas:

Unfortunately, I am being challenged when it comes to ERMs and resource
sharing/ILL applications. The other areas seem well-developed. You can
see what I've done so far at the following (temporary) link:

Do you have any suggestions or additions? Is your (favorite)
library-related OSS application missing from my list?

-- 
Eric (Lease) Morgan

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:50:39 -0500

> you might want to draw attention to in your list.  

Easily added. Thank you very much.

-- 
Eric "This Is Working" Morgan

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:27:13 -0500

> http://infomotions.com/tmp/oss/

Thank you for the suggestions both on and off list. With your help I was able to increase my list of viable OSS projects by just less than twenty items. The 'Net really works. If you have other suggestions, then please don't hesitate to pass them along.

-- 
Eric Lease Morgan

---

From: John Fereira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:59:23 -0500

Any thoughts on making this list something more dynamic, web 2.0ish?   I 
think the list could be even  more useful if one could do some sort of 
faceted search on the information. 

Looking at the not-viable list it seems that many of the entries were 
considered not viable due to lack of support.  It might be more useful 
if some sort of "level of support" ranking could be used rather than 
just deem some of the tools as not viable.  If a particular open source 
app is really useful, but lacks support, it *could* be viable if someone 
discovers it, and finds it useful enough that they're willing to start 
support it.

John Fereira
Cornell University
Twitter: @john_fereira
Google Wave: [email-masked]

---

From: "Wick, Ryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:04:32 -0800

Parts of one were started awhile back here: http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/OSS_Directory

Ryan Wick 

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John Fereira
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 11:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] yaoss4ll

Any thoughts on making this list something more dynamic, web 2.0ish?   I 
think the list could be even  more useful if one could do some sort of faceted search on the information. 

Looking at the not-viable list it seems that many of the entries were considered not viable due to lack of support.  It might be more useful if some sort of "level of support" ranking could be used rather than just deem some of the tools as not viable.  If a particular open source app is really useful, but lacks support, it *could* be viable if someone discovers it, and finds it useful enough that they're willing to start support it.

John Fereira
Cornell University
Twitter: @john_fereira

---

From: Brenda Chawner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 09:34:50 +1300

Eric, the Kete project is another one you might want to add to your
list. It's intended to let libraries and archives create 'community
repositories' with user-generated content, and it was started by the
Horowhenua Library Trust, the same organisation that sponsored Koha.
The URL is:

http://kete.net.nz/

Brenda Chawner

---

From: Jay Luker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 20:33:53 -0500

Hi Eric,

I don't see CDS Invenio listed [1]. It's an institutional repository
system developed at CERN. It's an impressive piece of software, but
for one reason or another doesn't seem to get much attention. I intend
to give a lightning talk on it in Asheville in February.

--jay

[1] http://cdsware.cern.ch/invenio/index.html

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 09:43:29 -0500

On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:59 PM, John Fereira wrote:

> Any thoughts on making this list something more dynamic, web 2.0ish?...

There certainly seems to be a demand for a more up-to-date list of library-related open source software, and as alluded to previously, such a thing has been attempted a number of times. Creating and maintaining such a list for the long haul -- no matter what technology is used -- would have to be a labor of love.

-- 
Eric Morgan

---

From: Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:54:53 -0500

Putting it on a wiki anyone can edit makes it, perhaps, somewhat more 
likely that it ends up maintained longer, making it easier for other 
people to get involved in maintaining it without technological barriers 
or proprietary feelings getting in the way.

Jonathan

---

From: John Fereira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:25:52 -0500

> or proprietary feelings getting in the way.
I was thinking of something more along the lines of putting it into a 
CMS (i.e. Drupal) so that voting/ranking/tagging tools could be used to 
allow the community to rate the viability and discovery of each item.

I may actually need to  do something like this but for a different 
domain on a project that I'll be working on over the next year.

---

From: Cory Rockliff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:11:37 -0500

How about putting the data into freebase? http://www.freebase.com/

That would combine the write-access of a wiki with the structure of a 
database.

I was getting ready to compile a very similar dataset myself, so I'd be 
happy to do some of the requisite munging to get the data into freebase, 
if the idea appeals to anyone.

On 12/22/2009 1:25 PM, John Fereira wrote:
>> people to get involved in maintaining it without technological 
>> barriers or proprietary feelings getting in the way.
> CMS (i.e. Drupal) so that voting/ranking/tagging tools could be used 
> to allow the community to rate the viability and discovery of each item.
>