Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting: Repository Programmer

From: Ryan Scherle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 17:01:00 -0400

The Dryad data repository (http://datadryad.org) seeks a highly
motivated programmer to join the development team in Durham, NC. The
incumbent will assist in the development and implementation of a
system for the storage, preservation, and retrieval of scientific
data.

Dryad is being developed by the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center
and the University of North Carolina's Metadata Research Center in
coordination with several scientific journals and societies. Dryad
stores data underlying scientific publications from evolutionary
biology and related fields. Data in Dryad will allow future
investigators to validate published findings, explore new analysis
methodologies, repurpose the data for research questions unanticipated
by the original authors, and perform meta-analyses.

Dryad is based on the open-source DSpace platform, with several
extensions. To make data deposition as easy as possible for
scientists, authors will have streamlined methods for submitting
information to Dryad, including tools for automated metadata
generation. Dryad will allow users to perform complex searches across
multiple repositories of scientific data, including GenBank, TreeBASE,
and the Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity.  Repository contents will
be accessible via a variety of open standards, including OAI-PMH, SRU,
RSS, and OpenURL.

Duties: Under the direction of the Repository Architect, the incumbent
will develop components to extend the functionality of the Dryad
repository. The incumbent will develop, document, and test software;
create technical documentation; and contribute to scientific
publications.  Initial responsibilities will include development of
tools for data curation and tools for sharing data between
repositories.

Minimum Qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science,
   Library Science, or related field.
* Thorough knowledge of Java.
* Demonstrated experience with XML and XSLT.
* Thorough knowledge of HTML, experience with CSS.
* Familiarity and experience with Unix operating systems,
   including knowledge of Unix shell scripting.
* Ability to communicate with technical and non-technical
   individuals, including the ability to prepare project documentation
   to support decision-making and end-user training.

Desired Qualifications:
* Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Science,
   Library Science, or related field.
* Two or more years of software development experience beyond the  
degree.
* Knowledge of Java Servlet technology, including familiarity
   with Apache Tomcat.
* Familiarity with library systems and metadata standards such as
   Dublin Core, PREMIS, and MODS.
* Experience with DSpace or other digital repository software.
* Experience developing functional requirements through use case  
analysis.
* Familiarity with regular expressions and parsing techniques, including
   languages such as AWK or Perl.
* Experience with web services and related technologies.
* Familiarity with relational database design and programming.
* Knowledge of RDF and concepts associated with the Semantic Web.

Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. This
position will be located at the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center
in Durham, NC, with Duke University processing payroll and benefits.
Duke University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.

Inquiries and applications may be directed to Ryan Scherle
([email-masked]). Applications should include a cover letter,
resume, and list of 3 references.