Subject: [CODE4LIB] Call for Proposals: LITA @ ALA Annual 2010

From: Jason Griffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:50:02 -0400

LITA Committee Chairs, IG Chairs, and other technically inclined library
folk,

This year, the LITA Program Planning Committee, in an effort to modernize
the workflow for planning programs for ALA Annual, has moved the process
entirely online! The following is the form that you can fill out if you are
interested in proposing a program via LITA for ALA Annual 2010, June 24-30th
in Washington, DC:

http://tinyurl.com/LITAPrograms201
<http://tinyurl.com/LITAPrograms2010>0<http://tinyurl.com/LITAPrograms2010>

The form will be available at the above link, on ALA Connect (
http://connect.ala.org/node/76611), on LITABlog (
http://litablog.org/ala-annual-2010-program-proposals/), and anywhere else
we can embed it.

Once you submit your program proposal, the Program Planning Committee will
be in touch with you by the middle of August, 2009. The soft deadline for
submitting proposals to LITA for a program for Annual 2010 is July 31st,
2009.

*Questions

*
If you have questions about anything relating to programs at ALA Annual,
there is a public discussion board on ALA Connect designed just for that:

http://connect.ala.org/forum/6608

You do have to have an ALA Connect login, but you do not have to be an ALA
member...you can register as a non-ALA member and still ask questions of the
PPC. If you are an ALA member, you can login to Connect using your ALA login
information.

If you have any problems that the Connect group doesn't solve (or you have
other issues), you can email me directly, Jason Griffey, at
[email-masked] or find me on Twitter at @griffey. But please try to use
the forum first. :-)

*What can you submit*

I am well aware of the challenge inherent with planning technology
programming a full year in advance of the conference. Feel free to be a
general as you need to be in describing your program on first draft...we can
always approach you and ask you for details as we move through the process.
But you do *not* have to have every speaker booked, and every topic decided,
to put forward a proposal. Have a topic area, a theme, an idea for where you
think tech will be? Go with it.

*Who Can Submit Proposals*
There is one more difference in the process this year that everyone should
be aware of. In the past, all programs were driven by Committee and Interest
Group submissions, with each group effectively submitting one program. While
the PPC is happy to get submissions from these groups, it is *NOT NECESSARY
*to be backed by a group in order for LITA PPC to examine and forward your
proposal for a program.

If you, as an individual member, have a great idea and want to be
considered, please put in a proposal. If you and two friends want to throw
your hats in the ring, please do. If you aren't a LITA or ALA member _at
all_ and think you have the best idea for a program at ALA Annual in the
history of technology, fill out the form!

Library Society of the World, Code4Lib, and other library groups: here's
your chance! Please participate and share with us! Let LITA give you a stage
for your ideas. If you have an idea worth putting in front of 300 people at
the largest gathering of librarians in the world, we are interested in
giving you that opportunity.

Bring it.

Jason Griffey
Chair, LITA Program Planning Committee

PS: if you made it this far, and know of other library groups for whom this
would be applicable (anyone focusing on technology and libraries), please
forward.