Subject: [CODE4LIB] MS Surface in libraries

From: William C Kurt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:42:52 -0800

I was just curious what libraries out there were currently doing any
development for the MS Surface (or even those out there that have a
Surface unit but aren't doing any in-house development).  Here at the
University of Nevada, Reno we got 3 units back in late Dec. and have had
a pretty productive time getting some development started.

I know that the Darien public library has one, and I've read a little
bit about what they plan to do with it.  But I'm pretty sure that there
are other libraries out there with the Surface, and I think it would be
very useful if we at least kept in touch as to what we are working on,
since currently there really are no pre-existing education related
applications available for the surface.

Thanks!

Will Kurt

Applications Development Librarian

University of Nevada, Reno

Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center

phone: 775 682-5679

email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jason Griffey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:59:07 -0500

I would be interested in any ongoing development as well, even though
we don't have a Surface now. We're looking at them as potentials for
our new library.

Jason

---

From: William C Kurt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:56:09 -0800

Jason (and anyone else interested),
Here's a more detailed run down of our current projects:

The first app we released was a very simple 'comment box' application.
Which has been very insightful ;) 

We also quickly customized the 'concierge' app to display info about the
campus (it's actually used rather frequently now).

This week we released a version of Conway's Game of Life on the public
machine. This actually works really well on the surface, and allows for
some things that can't be easily done in online versions.

We're currently working with Anatomy & Physiology faculty to develop an
application which allows you to place anatomical models on the surface
and then brings up context sensitive images and information (lab notes
etc.) for the corresponding model. We have  a working prototype right
now, and hope to have this useable in classes by summer session.

We also have a group of 6 CS students developing games and other
applications for the surface, so far the stuff I've seen has been really
great.

Sometime in the relatively near future we also hope to build something
to make it easier to browse our media collection.

And of course we have a pretty much constant stream of ideas from
faculty and students, which has been great for building relationships
with other departments.

If anyone has any questions you always  can feel free to send me a
message!
--Will

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Jason Griffey
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 9:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] MS Surface in libraries

Jason