Subject: [CODE4LIB] NYC Carpool?

From: Yitzchak Schaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:28:20 -0400

Hi all, apologies for cross-post from con list:

My conference proposal last year was turned down b/c of our budget
crunch, and I'm wondering what I can do to increase the likelihood of
approval this year.  I'm wondering if anyone in a similar situation
would be interested in the idea of an NYC metro carpool for the ~12
hour drive to and from Asheville in Feb?  If someone has a car
available (I don't) we could use it, or else rent a car if we had at
least, say, 4 people.  (Also perhaps this wouldn't be as feasible for
the luggage-heavy travelers among us.)

We would have to discuss whether to go for the precons or not.
My estimation of car rental + gas is roughly $500 total for a 5-
seater, so figure about $100 per person with five.  Airfare, by
contrast, is about $300.  I would suggest that each person put in a
deposit of $75, so in case of one or more bailouts, no one gets stuck
paying for (much) more than expected.  If all bail, all get the money
back.

There's no telling until prob. after registration whether MPOW will
give me registration & hotel money, so I might myself bail; if it does
go through, I'd be up for renting & driving.

Any interested parties?

-- 
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager
Touro College Libraries
33 West 23rd Street
New York, NY  10010
Tel (212) 463-0400 x5230
Fax (212) 627-3197
Email [email-masked]

---

From: "Mark A. Matienzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:54:31 -0400

Hi Yitzchak -

I might be interested. A few code4lib folks and I did this for
code4lib 2007 in Athens, Georgia; our carpool started in Philadelphia,
went through DC, and picked up a few folks along the way in Virginia.
Even if you can't get a whole lot of people from New York proper, you
may be able to snag some others along the way.

Mark

--
Mark A. Matienzo
Applications Developer, Digital Experience Group
The New York Public Library

---

From: Yitzchak Schaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:19:17 -0400

> may be able to snag some others along the way.

Hi Mark,

Good point.  Aside from the direct route through Allentown and along 
I-81 to Harrisburg PA and through VA, the route could alternately follow 
I-95 through Philly, Balto/DC and Richmond, then cut west through NC 
without too much extra mileage.

Access Problems? Contact [email-masked]

---

From: Bess Sadler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:32:43 -0400

If it isn't full by the time you drive through Virginia, I'm in.

Actually, we might have quite a few people wanting to carpool from the  
Virginia / DC area, so if we have too many it might need to be a  
separate car.

For people who hadn't considered this previously, give it some  
thought. I was part of the 2007 road trip and it was awesome, I can  
highly recommend this as a way to save money and also have a good time  
with kindred spirits.

Bess

---

From: "Mark A. Matienzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:40:21 -0400

+1 for including Bess! For what it's worth, Charlottesville isn't too
far off the route from NYC. :)

Mark A. Matienzo

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Bess Sadler <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Virginia / DC area, so if we have too many it might need to be a separate
> car.
>
> For people who hadn't considered this previously, give it some thought. I
> was part of the 2007 road trip and it was awesome, I can highly recommend
> this as a way to save money and also have a good time with kindred spirits.
>
> Bess
>

---

From: "Michael J. Giarlo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:59:48 -0400

I'm a tentative yes; would commit more so but I have a pending move
and that's murky.  I'll be in Arlington, VA if I'm in.

-Mike

---

From: Gabriel Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:17:13 -0400

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:19:17PM -0400, Yitzchak Schaffer wrote:
> I-81 to Harrisburg PA and through VA, the route could alternately
> follow I-95 through Philly, Balto/DC and Richmond, then cut west
> through NC without too much extra mileage.

I rented the van in Philly in 2007.  I was thinking some kind of train
to WV might be nice, but I could get into the idea of a road trip if
others are interested.  As Bess noted, there might be enough interest
from within our respective areas to warrant multiple cars.  Also, I have
a truck, but it doesn't seat more than two comfortably for long drives.

Gabriel

---

From: Yitzchak Schaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:50:45 -0400

I started a new RoommatesRidesEtc wiki page at

http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/C4L2010planning:RoommatesRidesEtc

I included the names of those who have expressed interest; feel free to 
obfuscate if you don't want your full name there.