Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting at Duke University Libraries: Associate University Librarian for Information Technology (Director IT)

From: Will Sexton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:38:53 -0400

Please excuse cross-posting.

Position description is at http://library.duke.edu/jobs/aulit.html and 
below my sig.

Will
--
Will Sexton
Metadata Analyst / Programmer
Duke University Libraries

Associate University Librarian for Information Technology (Director IT)

The Associate University Librarian for Information Technology (AUL IT) 
or Director for Information Technology, depending on background and 
qualifications, provides leadership, vision and strategic direction for 
the Duke University Libraries (DUL) in the development, delivery and 
integration of new and existing systems and technology services across 
the Libraries. S/he oversees the management and operations of 
Information Technology Services, including its four departments/sections 
that provide application development, ILS support, end user services and 
web services to the Libraries. S/he also serves as the Libraries’ chief 
liaison with the University’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) and 
with other technology units on campus. S/he will actively seek 
partnerships and manage collaborations with departments of the Libraries 
and other organizations external to the Libraries to ensure that the 
resources are in place to support a wide array of user needs.

Responsibilities

• Participates in the development of a shared vision for DUL’s future 
that supports the mission of the University and responds to the changing 
information needs of the Duke community.
• Creates and articulates an evolving technology strategy to support 
that vision, with ongoing input from key stakeholders at all levels of 
the organization and throughout the University.
• Identifies the technical solutions and priorities to achieve this 
strategy.
• Leads cross-unit functional projects to ensure goals and projects are 
completed according to scope, timeline and budget.
• Coordinates and provides direction to a library-wide group of library 
technology leaders and users, developing long-term strategies, 
coordinating resources and work among these groups, and sharing 
information and ideas where appropriate.
• Ensures the development of IT policies and procedures, including 
service level agreements, and produces reports on resource and service 
metrics.
• Serves as Libraries’ liaison with OIT and other technology units on 
campus. Plans development and ensures the smooth operation of library 
systems and coordinates outsourced systems support provided by OIT.
• Works within the Libraries and with OIT to ensure appropriate planning 
and smooth operation of major server systems, mass storage solutions, 
and policies regarding data security and management.
• Assesses IT trends and innovations that will affect library 
directions; aligns services and standards to meet changing user needs.
• Seeks partnerships and represents the Libraries in collaborative 
technology initiatives across the University and in local, national and 
international efforts.
• Contributes to and is highly active in local, consortia, regional and 
national meetings to stay abreast of technology developments/trends and 
to represent Duke University Libraries.
• Enhances DUL’s reputation as a research library committed to 
innovation, expanded access and efficiency through the use of technology.
• Oversees the management and operations of the information technology 
division: directly or indirectly supervises division staff; plans, 
organizes, prioritizes, and reports on the work of the division; 
prepares or reviews annual budget and identifies resource requirements 
for short- and long-term to ensure adequate IT support across the Libraries.
• Performs other duties as assigned.

Supervisory Responsibilities

• Responsible for four direct reports and an overall division staff of 
27 FTE.

Qualifications

It is the expectation that all Duke University Library staff members 
will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of 
their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer 
focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and 
a commitment to diversity. In addition, managers and supervisors are 
expected to help develop a common vision by providing clear direction 
and priorities, clarifying roles and responsibilities, and promoting 
mutual understanding through effective communication. They are also 
expected to take the time to effectively plan and evaluate performance, 
provide feedback, recognition and coaching, and develop employees to 
achieve their personal and organizational goals.
Education

Required: Bachelor’s degree.

Preferred: Master's degree, such as an MLS or MIS from an ALA-accredited 
program, MS in computer science, or other relevant degree.
Experience

Required: Seven years of progressively responsible experience in 
information technology, including significant experience supervising, 
developing, and mentoring information technology professionals; a broad 
view of library and university technology issues and a flexible approach 
to problem-solving; demonstrated leadership style that promotes 
teamwork, multi-channel communications and consensus building; an 
excellent grasp of advanced information technologies and their 
application, including an awareness of technological capacities, current 
developments and trends; detailed knowledge of project management 
techniques and a demonstrated ability to estimate scope of a project and 
bring it to completion on time and budget; knowledge of and ability to 
plan for integration of IT systems and services (departmental and 
enterprise); ability to effectively communicate technical issues and 
solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders; ability to work 
independently and as a member of a team; demonstrated commitment to 
providing outstanding customer service to internal and external 
constituencies.

Preferred: Substantial (five or more years preferred) experience leading 
and managing information technology operations in a library, library 
consortium, or library services organization; proven understanding of 
technological trends and developments in academia and academic 
libraries; working knowledge of ExLibris applications (ie, ALEPH, SFX) 
or a comparable integrated library system.
Working Conditions

* Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials 
containing dust and mold is possible
* Normal office environment
* Occasional weekend shifts required
* Occasional travel required

These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level 
of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not 
intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, 
duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive 
benefits package includes 20 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick 
leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance, support for 
professional development and training and relocation assistance.
Environment

Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the 
most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical 
center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University 
Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, 
connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the William R. 
Perkins Library and its branches: Rare Book, Manuscript and Special 
Collections, Biological and Environmental Sciences, Lilly, and Music and 
the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library 
holdings of 5.1 million volumes are among the largest of private 
universities in the United States.

Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, 
medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and 
theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing 
metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide 
range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The 
Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and 
the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best 
places to live and to do business.

Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both 
traditional benefits such has health insurance, leave time and 
retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. 
Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/duke_benefits.html
Application

Send cover letter, detailed resume and the names, addresses (mailing and 
e-mail), and telephone numbers of three references to: Teresa Tillman, 
Library Human Resources, at [email-masked]. Please include AUL IT 
in the subject line. Review of applications will begin in mid-March and 
will continue until the position is filled.

Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will 
not be reviewed. An electronic resume should also be submitted at 
http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/main.html.

An electronic resume should also be submitted at: 
http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/main.html. Refer to Requisition # 400284917.