Subject: [CODE4LIB] UNIX/LINUX noob looking for UWIN help

From: Matt Amory <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:20:16 -0500

I'm trying to get UNIX/LINUX to run on my Windows laptop.  Is UWIN the best
and easiest option?

---

From: John Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:26:22 -0500

How about WUBI? Installs Ubuntu like a windows program - easy in, easy
out. http://wubi-installer.org/

jf

-- 
Sent from my mobile device

http://libgrunt.blogspot.com -- library culture and technology.

---

From: Ethan Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:26:41 -0500

I'd say VirtualBox.  VMWare has also has a free client, but I'd just go with
VirtualBox.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:29:15 +1100

Depends what you are trying to do.

If you are just after a more linux like shell for windows and some
scripting then something like UWIN or cygwin would suit.

If however, you want linux in all its gloriousness then a virtual
environment such as virtualbox is a good option (if your laptop has enough
memory).

Another option is to create a live CD that you can boot from your CD drive
(something like Damn Small Linux or SLAX isn't too big to download).

Have fun.

Peter

--
Peter Neish
Systems Officer
Victorian Parliamentary Library
[email-masked]

             Matt Amory                                                    
             <matt.amory@GMAIL                                             
             .COM>                                                      To 
             Sent by: Code for         [email-masked]            
             Libraries                                                  cc 
             <CODE4LIB@LISTSER                                             
             V.ND.EDU>                                             Subject 
                                       [CODE4LIB] UNIX/LINUX noob looking  
                                       for UWIN help                       
             14/12/2009 03:20                                              
             PM                                                            

             Please respond to                                             
                 Code for                                                  
                 Libraries                                                 
             <CODE4LIB@LISTSER                                             
                 V.ND.EDU>                                                 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Parliament of Victoria
Important Disclaimer Notice:

The information contained in this email  including any attachments, may be 
confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please 
notify the sender and delete it from  your system. Any unauthorised 
disclosure, copying or dissemination of all or part of this email, including 
any attachments, is not permitted. This email, including any attachments, should 
be dealt with in accordance with copyright and  privacy legislation. 
Except where otherwise stated, views expressed are those of the individual sender.

---

From: Matt Amory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:08:07 -0500

Thanks all!

-- 
Matt Amory
(917) 771-4157
[email-masked]

---

From: "Cloutman, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:08:27 -0800

Cygwin++ / Wubi++ / Virtual box - heard good things from people who know

Those three solutions give you respectively the choice between partial emulation / dual boot / and virtualization. Like others have, or are likely to say, it depends on what you're trying to do (and why you're trying to do it that way).

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt Amory
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] UNIX/LINUX noob looking for UWIN help

Email Disclaimer: http://www.co.marin.ca.us/nav/misc/EmailDisclaimer.cfm

---

From: stuart yeates <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:07:48 +1300

> I'm trying to get UNIX/LINUX to run on my Windows laptop.  Is UWIN the best

While lots of other people have answered this question already, I'd like 
to point out that without information on what it is you want to use 
Linux for, it's almost impossible to give a sensible answer to this 
question.

Are you planning on using it to offer services to third parties? to do 
network diagnostics? to try out new software? (which software?) to 
improve your skills? to be able to test stuff on your laptop in the same 
environment as your servers? to improve your commandline-foo? Annoy your 
fellow Windows users? as part of a prolonged programme of masochism? 
Each of these lead (potentially) to different recommendations.

BTW: 'UNIX' is a trademark which is basically no longer used. You 
probably mean POSIX (AKA  IEEE Std 1002.1-1989 AKA ISO/IEC 9945).

cheers
stuart
-- 
Stuart Yeates
http://www.nzetc.org/       New Zealand Electronic Text Centre
http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/     Institutional Repository