Subject: [CODE4LIB] Public Knowlege Project Conference 2009 - Early Bird Registration Ends June 8

From: Mark Jordan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:19:39 -0700

Forwarded on behalf of the PKP Conference organizers...

PKP Conference 2009 - Early Bird Registration Ends June 8

Planning to attend the Second International PKP Conference in  
Vancouver from July 8 - 10, 2009? If so, you should register soon, as  
the Early Bird rates will be ending June 8!

If not, you might want to take a closer look at our outstanding  
program with over 50 sessions by a truly international caste of  
speakers from 6 continents, including experienced library and open  
access publishers, and leaders in academic publishing technologies  
and initiatives.

Our prestigious international speakers include:

- John Willinsky, PKP Director and Professor at both the Stanford  
University School of Education and the Department of Language and  
Literacy Education at the University of British Columbia;
- Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Internationally renowned author and  
Distinguished Professor of English and Comparative Literature as well  
as the Director of the International Center for Writing and  
Translation at the University of California, Irvine;
- Ana Maria Cetto, Investigator, Physics Institute of the National  
Autonomous University of Mexico and Technical Cooperation Leader and  
Subdirector of the International Atomic Energy Agency;
- Gregg Gordon, Social Science Research Network President and CEO;
- and many more:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2009/pkp2009/schedConf/
presentations

This year's conference combines a stimulating mixture of both the  
theoretical and practical, with several pre-conference and post-
conference workshops on Open Journal Systems, Lemon8-XML, Creating  
Open Access Journals, Networkshops for Editors, Librarians, and  
Software Developers, and Walking the Talking with the CLA Open Access  
Interest Group:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2009/pkp2009/schedConf/workshops

Additional conference highlights include:

- An early look at the latest PKP software application, the Open  
Monograph Press;
- Opportunities for face to face meetings with the PKP Team;
- A hackfest for developers to get together, experiment,   and innovate;
- A special focus on graduate students and scholarly publishing;
- And, of course, the beauty of Vancouver in the summer!

http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2009/pkp2009/schedConf/travel

We very much hope to see you in July!