Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Serials Solutions Summon

From: Laurence Lockton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:08:26 +0100

> ------------------------------
> Date:    Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:36:30 -0400
> From:    "Diane I. Hillmann" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Serials Solutions Summon
>
...
> 3. Because they also have data on what journals any particular library
> customer has subscribed to, they can customize the product for each
> library, ensuring that the library's users aren't served a bunch of
> results that they ultimately can't access.

This is one of the great advantages of a local aggregated index, being able 
to flag which documents are actually available to your users, and giving 
them the choice of searching only for these. Lund University's ELIN does 
this and it's really popular. (See a picture 
<http://people.bath.ac.uk/lislgl/elin.png>)

Is this being offered in Summon and WorldCat Local?

-- 
Laurence Lockton
University of Bath
UK

---

From: Andrew Nagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:15:47 -0400

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM, Laurence Lockton <[email-masked]>wrote:

> this and it's really popular. (See a picture <
> http://people.bath.ac.uk/lislgl/elin.png>)
>

Laurence - Summon does have fulltext access as well as "scholary or
peer-reviewed" as available facets in Summon to allow users to narrow their
search results by these two facets.  And it is great that you point this out
- this is one of the great benefits of having a single unified index.  You
get to pull all sorts of gems out of the boulders of content.  I am
personnally getting really excited for what our community (code4lib) will be
able to invent on top of services such as Summon.  I think we are going to
be able to find many more gems as well as mashups that allow for some
fanatastic tools.

Andrew