Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] PHP Frameworks: An informal survey.

From: "Cloutman, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:55:35 -0800

Interesting link.

I've played with Symfony, and like what I see. I even own the Apress
book. I'm certainly not saying Zend is better than framework X. My
question is, will knowing it give you an edge in an interview for a PHP
job v. something else? That I'm not so certain about. What is pretty
clear is the PHP developers will use frameworks more extensively in the
future to stay competitive with other languages used in Web development.
What they use will is unknown. What they are using is observable. I
would be happy, though, to see the market pick a definitive winner.

---
David Cloutman <[email-masked]>
Electronic Services Librarian
Marin County Free Library 

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Yitzchak Schaffer
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] PHP Frameworks: An informal survey.

Cloutman, David wrote:
> This morning I was curious to see how the battle for domination
between
> PHP frameworks was shaping up, and which one was most economically
> sensible for a developer with limited time to learn. I thought I'd
share
> my results with the list, as this may be of interest to some of you.

I found this post and comments to be of value:

http://www.plentyofcode.com/2008/04/symfony-vs-zend-framework-vs-cakephp
-vs.html

FWIW I have been working with symfony (to the exclusion of other 
framewords) for... about a year now, I think?  I'm very pleased, 
particularly with the amount of new functionality that's come with each 
of the major new releases (1.1 and 1.2)

Cheers,

-- 
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Librarian
Touro College Libraries
33 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10010
Tel (212) 463-0400 x5230
Fax (212) 627-3197
[email-masked]

Email Disclaimer: http://www.co.marin.ca.us/nav/misc/EmailDisclaimer.cfm