Subject: [CODE4LIB] opportunity to work on Harvard's open access repository

From: Amy Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:06:52 -0500

Apply for this job at http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/search_req  
(requisition #36190)
POSITION: Digital Library Software Engineer, Harvard University Library

Duties and responsibilities. Harvard University’s Library seeks  
programmer/analyst for development of a digital scholarship  
repository. This is a unique opportunity to serve as the technical  
lead on a project to collect and share the university’s research with  
the world. Responsibilities include development of web applications,  
tools, interfaces, and databases. The hire will assume ongoing  
configuration, customization, and integration of our open-source  
DSpace repository, with the aim of rapidly deploying production code  
for user-friendly deposit, management, and reporting processes.

The position requires the ability to multi-task and to help grasp  
requirements from discussions with stakeholders, recommend solutions,  
and translate these into specifications, prototypes, and production  
code with accompanying documentation. The ideal candidate will work  
efficiently, creatively, and independently as requirements evolve, and  
also enjoy collaborative problem solving (locally as well as more  
broadly, in regular communication with other repository developers).

Required education, experience, and skills: BA/BS or higher degree in  
computer/information science with a minimum of five years Java  
development experience and demonstrated communication skills. Track  
record of success designing, developing, deploying, and managing both  
stand-alone and Internet applications utilizing Unix, Java, and World  
Wide Web technologies. Background in IT and library systems in  
academic settings, especially DSpace, desirable. The hire will  
customize DSpace with Manakin, utilizing XML, XSL, SQL, and JDBC  
technologies. The preferred candidate will have experience with these  
technologies, as well as open source development environments and  
protocols. Familiarity with library metadata standards and  
bibliographic information structure also a plus.

Additional information. One-year term appointment with possibility of  
renewal. Reports to the Manager of Systems Development in the Office  
for Information and the Program Manager of the Office for Scholarly  
Communication. For more information, see the following web sites: http://hul.harvard.edu/ois 
  and http://osc.hul.harvard.edu.

Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background  
screening.

Harvard University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.

Apply for this job at http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/search_req  
(requisition #36190)