Subject: [CODE4LIB] fedora-commons based article repository/publishing

From: Phil Cryer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:50:50 -0600

I'm working on an article repository to augment the Botanical Heritage
Library, using fedora-commons as the storage and services layer.  I'm
trying to find a publishing platform that includes user-roles for
things like article submission, peer review, editor, etc.  Currently I
really like Open Journal Systems (OJS ) [1], but I've only found a
loose way to couple that to fedora; exporting published articles to
METS-XML and then ingesting them into fedora - but this isn't a direct
way and wouldn't deal with editing very cleanly, you'd have to update
things in two places..  Other software options like Dpub, Fez,
Muradora are either not actively developed, or not focused on article
publishing.  Does anyone have experience with OJS, or any other
article publishing system that (this is the clincher) sits on top of,
or directly connects to fedora-commons?

Thanks

Phil

[1] http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs

---

From: MJ Suhonos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:28:49 -0500

Hi Phil,

I was just at a PKP workshop in Sydney in December, and the same  
developers from the Australian National University who developed the  
OJS METS export plugin unveiled a SWORD 1.2 deposit plugin that works  
with both Fedora and DSpace:

<http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3877>

Apparently there are some issues with the 1.2 implementation for  
DSpace in particular, but they did demo a live instance of exporting  
to both repositories directly from OJS and it was quite impressive.

I'm not sure if this matches the workflow requirements that you have,  
but I'd suggest having a look, and if it needs any further development/ 
refinement, let us and the ANU group know, and we'll see what needs to  
be done.

Hope this helps,
MJ

PS. If you're interested in the full presentation that Scott and Leo  
gave, it's available along with the others here, right at the bottom:   
<http://www.apsr.edu.au/open_access_publishing/presentations.html>