Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting: Developer Network Product Manager

From: Don Hamparian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:50:10 -0500

OCLC is looking for a *Product Manager, Developer Network* to make an impact
on libraries around the world.

Consistently named one of IDG's *Computerworld* 100 Best Places to Work in
IT, OCLC is a nonprofit library service and research organization that has
provided computer-based cataloging, reference, resource sharing, eContent,
preservation, library management and Web services to 60,000 libraries in 112
countries and territories. OCLC and its member libraries worldwide have
created and maintain WorldCat, the world's richest online resource for
finding library materials.

*Responsibilities:*

The Product Manager is responsible for all aspects of product planning and
development. This role also provides critical input to the product marketing
team in product release and promotional efforts. *The Product Manager is
responsible for the following deliverables:*

·       *Produces:* Product strategy, roadmaps, annual product plans,
business cases, and monthly product reviews, launch plans, white papers,
product presentations, market messaging, event support, competitive write-up
and user personas.

·       *Contributes to the production of: * Portfolio business plans,
strategies, roadmaps, metrics, and operational plans; portfolio progress
plans and reviews; user requirements and functional specs.

·       Specifically the Product Manager is responsible for managing the
OCLC Developer’s Network which includes establishing and maintaining
relationships with prominent library / cultural institution software
developers in the United States, Europe and Australia; promoting the usage
of our network (web) services via conferences, training meetings, blogging
and building a repository of software code examples.

·       As part of strategic planning for the Developer’s Network, establish
a roadmap for the Developer’s Network including planning for software
developer community support for discovery web services, WMS network
services, and WorldCat Local circulation interop services.

·       Establish a plan to build a development community for promotion of
the network (web) service layer of WMS including working to build community
contributed software for data import and export, and application extension
components.

 *Product Strategy and Planning:*

·       Oversees market analysis and develops product strategy and business
case. Defines strategic product goals.

·       Produces product roadmap

·       Collaborates on release plans with Development

·       Collaborates with finance in the production of product budgets and
forecasts

·       Develops pricing strategies and product positioning plans which
contribute to maximizing product profitability

·       Perform these tasks relative to the developer’s network.

*Leadership and Management: *

·       Provides leadership to cross-functional product workgroups. Leads
Product management meetings. Resolves conflicts and drives consensus.

·       Facilitates collaboration and communication and secures commitment
between Development and Product Management and other divisional workgroups
towards achievement of common goals.

·       Develops and monitors progress on product roadmap

*Product Marketing Oversight and Consultation:*

·       Assists in the development of strategies for customer acquisition
and retention; manages relationships with user groups and assists sales team
in generation of marketing and awareness plans.

·       Understands how and when to commission market research in order to
develop and maintain expertise in markets served, alternative services, new
technology, and related standards.

·       Can generate appropriate information for market sizes by sector /
territory and can generate market penetration statistics.

·       Provides training and support to the sales and support team; may
assist in significant sales calls.

·       Analyses reasons for OCLC product wins and losses against
competition and can provide meaningful information to aid product planning.

·       Will work to define and rationalize user persona.

·       Will produce market/sector white papers

*Consultation on Portfolio Planning:*

·       Provides input into portfolio business plans, roadmaps, strategies,
metrics, and progress reports and reviews

*Qualifications:*

·       Bachelor's Degree

·       2 to 4 years' experience in library services or library management
systems

·       2 to 4 years' experience in product, project or program management

·       2 to 4 years' experience in supporting online/database services,
preferably in the library field

·       Well developed communication and presentation skills

·       Extensive understanding of technical capabilities and market
requirements needed to develop innovative market plans

·       Candidate must be able to travel – significant travel is required
(45-50% of the time)

·       Strong customer relationship skills; preferably within the
Development Community

·       Relative to the Developer Network:

o   2-4 years developing library or cultural heritage institution-related
web application

o   Knowledge and experience  of web 2.0 principles including web service
development and mashups

o   Involvement / leadership in the library technical (software development)
community

To apply for this opening, please go to:
http://www.oclc.org/us/en/careers/default.htm  Click on Job ID # 1801

-- 
Don Hamparian
Manager OCLC Grid Portfolio
OCLC
mailto:[email-masked]
614.764.6017 (voice)
614.975.5750 (mobile)
IM, IP Phone (Skype) donhamp2
ICQ: 412-913-446
http://worldcat.org/devnet