Subject: [CODE4LIB] Fwd: Job Posting - Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian - University of Vermont

From: Winona Salesky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:52:29 -0400

*Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian /Library Assistant Professor -
University of Vermont Libraries*

The University of Vermont Libraries' Center for Digital Initiatives
(CDI, http://cdi.uvm.edu/) seeks a detail-oriented, innovative, and
energetic librarian for the position of Digital Initiatives Metadata
Librarian.  The Institute for Museum and Library Services has recently
awarded the University of Vermont a 24-month grant to continue
development of the Libraries' digital initiatives.  The main goal of
this grant is to build a user community for the CDI that will engage as
active participants in the development of the CDI and the content and
services it provides.  The Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian will
provide expertise and leadership in the creation and maintenance of
metadata for digital content acquired or created by the CDI.  The
Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian will help to develop, refine, and
implement policies, procedures, workflows, and metadata standards for
the CDI; manage digitization projects; and participate in the overall
management of the CDI.*
*

*RESPONSIBILITIES:* Provides expertise and leadership in the creation
and maintenance of metadata for digital content acquired or created by
the CDI; provides descriptive, technical, and structural metadata for
digital content; evaluates and maintains quality control of metadata
operations; trains and supports metadata staff; maintains documentation
on metadata best practices; analyzes metadata needs and provides
estimated metadata costs and timeline for proposed projects; designs,
implements, and manages project workflows;collaborates with CDI and
Libraries staff in selection of digital projects and content;
participates in the management of the CDI; promotes and reports on CDI
activities to local, regional, and national communities; represents the
CDI in professional and campus organizations and initiatives.

*REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:* Master's degree from an ALA-accredited
program or foreign equivalent; experience with metadata work on digital
projects; experience with XML.; experience with standards-based non-MARC
metadata schemas, such as Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD and TEI;
knowledge of MARC; familiarity with controlled vocabularies, such as
LCSH, AAT, LCTGM, GNIS, and TGN; demonstrated project management
experience; excellent attention to detail; ability to work independently
and in a team environment; excellent interpersonal and communication
skills; commitment to professional achievement and growth; commitment to
diversity and inclusion.

*PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS*: Working knowledge of digital asset
management systems; demonstrated understanding of preservation metadata,
such as PREMIS; experience in crosswalking, normalizing, and
transforming xml metadata; working knowledge of XSLT.

*SALARY AND APPLICATION INFORMATION:* Qualifications should merit
appointment at the rank of library assistant professor (non-tenure
track).  Salary is commensurate with experience, not less than $49,191
for this position.  Benefit package includes TIAA/CREF or alternate
plan, managed health care plan, and 22 days of annual paid vacation.
Review of applications will begin on May 8, 2009 and will continue until
position is filled.  Anticipated start date is August 15, 2009.  Apply
on line at http://www.uvmjobs.com <http://www.uvmjobs.com/> with letter
of application, vita, and names and contact information for three
professional references.  Job Requisition Number = 032645.  Questions
about the position may be directed to the chair of the search committee
at <[email-masked]>  The University of Vermont is an AA/EO employer.

----- End forwarded message -----

----- End forwarded message -----

*Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian /Library Assistant Professor - 
University of Vermont Libraries*

The University of Vermont Libraries' Center for Digital Initiatives 
(CDI, http://cdi.uvm.edu/) seeks a detail-oriented, innovative, and 
energetic librarian for the position of Digital Initiatives Metadata 
Librarian.  The Institute for Museum and Library Services has recently 
awarded the University of Vermont a 24-month grant to continue 
development of the Libraries' digital initiatives.  The main goal of 
this grant is to build a user community for the CDI that will engage as 
active participants in the development of the CDI and the content and 
services it provides.  The Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian will 
provide expertise and leadership in the creation and maintenance of 
metadata for digital content acquired or created by the CDI.  The 
Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian will help to develop, refine, and 
implement policies, procedures, workflows, and metadata standards for 
the CDI; manage digitization projects; and participate in the overall 
management of the CDI.*
*

*RESPONSIBILITIES:* Provides expertise and leadership in the creation 
and maintenance of metadata for digital content acquired or created by 
the CDI; provides descriptive, technical, and structural metadata for 
digital content; evaluates and maintains quality control of metadata 
operations; trains and supports metadata staff; maintains documentation 
on metadata best practices; analyzes metadata needs and provides 
estimated metadata costs and timeline for proposed projects; designs, 
implements, and manages project workflows;collaborates with CDI and 
Libraries staff in selection of digital projects and content; 
participates in the management of the CDI; promotes and reports on CDI 
activities to local, regional, and national communities; represents the 
CDI in professional and campus organizations and initiatives.

*REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:* Master's degree from an ALA-accredited 
program or foreign equivalent; experience with metadata work on digital 
projects; experience with XML.; experience with standards-based non-MARC 
metadata schemas, such as Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD and TEI; 
knowledge of MARC; familiarity with controlled vocabularies, such as 
LCSH, AAT, LCTGM, GNIS, and TGN; demonstrated project management 
experience; excellent attention to detail; ability to work independently 
and in a team environment; excellent interpersonal and communication 
skills; commitment to professional achievement and growth; commitment to 
diversity and inclusion.

*PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS*: Working knowledge of digital asset 
management systems; demonstrated understanding of preservation metadata, 
such as PREMIS; experience in crosswalking, normalizing, and 
transforming xml metadata; working knowledge of XSLT.

*SALARY AND APPLICATION INFORMATION:* Qualifications should merit 
appointment at the rank of library assistant professor (non-tenure 
track).  Salary is commensurate with experience, not less than $49,191 
for this position.  Benefit package includes TIAA/CREF or alternate 
plan, managed health care plan, and 22 days of annual paid vacation.  
Review of applications will begin on May 8, 2009 and will continue until 
position is filled.  Anticipated start date is August 15, 2009.  Apply 
on line at http://www.uvmjobs.com <http://www.uvmjobs.com/> with letter 
of application, vita, and names and contact information for three 
professional references.  Job Requisition Number = 032645.  Questions 
about the position may be directed to the chair of the search committee 
at <[email-masked]>  The University of Vermont is an AA/EO employer.

Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset=ISO-8859-1;
	format="flowed"
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

*Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian /Library Assistant Professor - 
University of Vermont Libraries*

The University of Vermont Libraries' Center for Digital Initiatives 
(CDI, http://cdi.uvm.edu/) seeks a detail-oriented, innovative, and 
energetic librarian for the position of Digital Initiatives Metadata 
Librarian.  The Institute for Museum and Library Services has recently 
awarded the University of Vermont a 24-month grant to continue 
development of the Libraries' digital initiatives.  The main goal of 
this grant is to build a user community for the CDI that will engage as 
active participants in the development of the CDI and the content and 
services it provides.  The Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian will 
provide expertise and leadership in the creation and maintenance of 
metadata for digital content acquired or created by the CDI.  The 
Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian will help to develop, refine, and 
implement policies, procedures, workflows, and metadata standards for 
the CDI; manage digitization projects; and participate in the overall 
management of the CDI.*
*

*RESPONSIBILITIES:* Provides expertise and leadership in the creation 
and maintenance of metadata for digital content acquired or created by 
the CDI; provides descriptive, technical, and structural metadata for 
digital content; evaluates and maintains quality control of metadata 
operations; trains and supports metadata staff; maintains documentation 
on metadata best practices; analyzes metadata needs and provides 
estimated metadata costs and timeline for proposed projects; designs, 
implements, and manages project workflows;collaborates with CDI and 
Libraries staff in selection of digital projects and content; 
participates in the management of the CDI; promotes and reports on CDI 
activities to local, regional, and national communities; represents the 
CDI in professional and campus organizations and initiatives.

*REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:* Master's degree from an ALA-accredited 
program or foreign equivalent; experience with metadata work on digital 
projects; experience with XML.; experience with standards-based non-MARC 
metadata schemas, such as Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD and TEI; 
knowledge of MARC; familiarity with controlled vocabularies, such as 
LCSH, AAT, LCTGM, GNIS, and TGN; demonstrated project management 
experience; excellent attention to detail; ability to work independently 
and in a team environment; excellent interpersonal and communication 
skills; commitment to professional achievement and growth; commitment to 
diversity and inclusion.

*PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS*: Working knowledge of digital asset 
management systems; demonstrated understanding of preservation metadata, 
such as PREMIS; experience in crosswalking, normalizing, and 
transforming xml metadata; working knowledge of XSLT.

*SALARY AND APPLICATION INFORMATION:* Qualifications should merit 
appointment at the rank of library assistant professor (non-tenure 
track).  Salary is commensurate with experience, not less than $49,191 
for this position.  Benefit package includes TIAA/CREF or alternate 
plan, managed health care plan, and 22 days of annual paid vacation.  
Review of applications will begin on May 8, 2009 and will continue until 
position is filled.  Anticipated start date is August 15, 2009.  Apply 
on line at http://www.uvmjobs.com <http://www.uvmjobs.com/> with letter 
of application, vita, and names and contact information for three 
professional references.  Job Requisition Number = 032645.  Questions 
about the position may be directed to the chair of the search committee 
at <[email-masked]>  The University of Vermont is an AA/EO employer.