Subject: [CODE4LIB] Dublin Core Metadata Initiative Science and Metadata Community (SAM)

From: Sarah Carrier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:44:19 -0500

Apologies for any duplication:

We are pleased to introduce the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative Science and
Metadata
Community, and welcome participation from individuals and organizations
interested in all
aspects of metadata relating to scientific data.

Funders of scientific research are increasingly attentive to the management
of scientific
data so that the full value of research investments can be realized and
preserved.  Doing
so requires attention to the description and structure of datasets and
vocabularies to
support data preservation, reuse, and repurposing.

The DCMI Science and Metadata Community is a forum for individuals and
organizations to
exchange information and knowledge about metadata describing scientific
data.  The
Community focuses on metadata challenges specific to scientific data
curation, and
solutions that will benefit from the architecture and global reach of the
Dublin Core
Metadata Initiative.

These challenges include:
- Canonical identification of datasets, critical for establishing
provenance, auditing
value and use, and attracting social-networking attention that will enhance
their value.
- Better description of data and vocabularies, such that potential users may
more easily
determine suitability for use and repurposing, as well as ancillary
applications such as
rendering and interpretation.
- Design and declaration of schemas to support reuse.

An initial deliverable of the group includes a survey of existing standards
and metadata
elements used to describe datasets, which will form the basis for community
discussion
and a work agenda to be initiated at DC-2009.

The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) is an open organization engaged
in the
development of interoperable online metadata standards that support a broad
range of
purposes and business models.  To learn more, see: http://dublincore.org/.

To learn more about the Science and Metadata community, or to become
involved:
- visit the community website at:  http://dublincore.org/groups/sam/
- join the community electronic mailing list at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=dc-science&A=1

An open workshop and meeting will be held at the 2009 International
Conference on Dublin
Core and Metadata Applications, "Semantic Interoperability of Linked Data,"
which will
be held in Seoul, Korea (http://www.dc2009.kr/), 12-16, October, 2009.  We
encourage
community participation online via the mailing list for those who cannot
attend.

Please feel free to forward this announcement.

Sincerely, Jane Greenberg and Stu Weibel, Moderators
Sarah Carrier, Documentation Coordinator
DCMI Science and Metadata Community