Subject: [CODE4LIB] OR09 Workshop / "Tools for Repositories - Microsoft Research & the Scholarly Information Ecosystem"

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:22:10 -0400

[Forwarded upon request --ELM]

(apologies for cross-postings)

Colleagues, Microsoft Research will be hosting a workshop at the Open  
Repositories '09 meeting in Atlanta, GA on from 1-6pm on Thursday, May  
21st (https://or09.library.gatech.edu/workshops.php). A preliminary  
description below, with a more detailed agenda to be made available  
shortly.

Registration is open now (email us at [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked] 
 >); we are able to accommodate up to 50 attendees. We hope you will  
join us!

"Tools for Repositories - Microsoft Research & the Scholarly  
Information Ecosystem"

Microsoft External Research strongly supports the process of research  
and its role in the innovation ecosystem, including developing and  
supporting efforts in open access, open tools, open technology, and  
interoperability.  We partner with universities, national libraries,  
publishers, and governmental organizations to help develop tools and  
services to evolve the scholarly information lifecycle.  These  
projects demonstrate our ongoing work towards producing next- 
generation documents that increase productivity and empower authors to  
increase the discoverability and appropriate re-use of their work.   
This workshop will provide a deep dive into several freely available  
and open source tools from Microsoft External Research, and will  
demonstrate how these can help supplement and enhance current  
repository offerings.

Come learn more about how the Microsoft Research tools can help extend  
the reach and utility of your repository efforts.  Each session during  
the half-day workshop will include a hands-on component so that  
attendees can gain a deeper technical understanding of the available  
tool-set, which includes the following resources:

   * Article Authoring Add-in for Word 2007
      o Structured document authoring (based on
        the NLM-DTD)
      o Ontology integration and markup
      o Repository search integration
      o ORE Resource Map authoring
      o Article repository submission workflow
        (via REST and SWORD interfaces)
   * Microsoft eJournal Service - a hosted
     peer-review workflow system
   * Zentity - Our v1.0 research-output
     repository platform
   * Research Information Centre - a
     collaboration space for researchers
   * Windows Live Machine Translation Service
   * Document Conversion Service

More information on each of these tools can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/scholarlycomm

To register, please email us at [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked] 

We look forward to having you join us!

-- 
Lee Dirks
Director, Education & Scholarly Communication
Microsoft Corporation - External Research
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
(425) 703-6866
http://microsoft.com/scholarlycomm