Subject: [CODE4LIB] Linux tools for making PDFs

From: "Han, Yan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 16:52:14 -0700

Hello, 

Do you know a tool running under Linux to make PDFs from images?  I use
Adobe Acrobat professional in Windows to create PDFs from image files.
However, Acrobat does not handle image files with east Asian characters.

Yan

---

From: "Posthumus, Etienne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:21:08 +0100

Yan,

I am curious what kind of image files you mean that contain east Asian
characters, surely an image has no characters in it but just pixels? Or
do you mean the filenames?

This:   http://www.swftools.org/about.html
Is the best thing since sliced bread for me. Among other things it can
convert images to SWF.

In making the front-end to our academic repository I was looking for a
nice way to display the thousands of PDFs. The service at
http://scribd.com/ seemed like just the ticket, you could think of it
like a 'Youtube of documents'.

There were some concerns in out group that authors might not like us
publishing 'their' content somewhere else. To use the scribd service you
also have to upload your documents to their servers and it is then
hosted there. So even though all our content is Open Access, their might
be a subtle distinction raising the ire of some users.

I then later stumbled across SWFTools (the link above) and discovered
that it was actually one of the core technologies powering Scribd. My
plan is now to publish the repository assets as Flash SWF files in our
repository for easy viewing, all still within our own control.

If anyone on this list have ever made some pretty SWF viewers for
SWFTools, or would like to collaborate on some Actionscript hacking to
make a simple next/prev/zoom one that looks a little better than the
default one, please let me know.

Etienne Posthumus
TU Delft Library   -  Digital Product Development
t: +31 (0) 15 27 81 949
m: [email-masked]
skype:  eposthumus
Twitter: epoz
http://www.library.tudelft.nl/
Prometheusplein 1, 2628 ZC, Delft, Netherlands

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Han, Yan
Sent: woensdag 4 februari 2009 00:52
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Linux tools for making PDFs

Hello, 

 

Yan