Subject: [CODE4LIB] web standards, mediated culture and more at EdUI 2009

From: EdUI Conference <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:17:36 -0400

[http://www.virginiafoundation.org/enewsletter/edui/aug0906.html] Don't
See The Images? Click Here

[http://www.eduiconf.org]

Headliner Highlights!
There are so many [http://www.eduiconf.org/speakers/] great speakers you
can see at EdUi Sept. 21-22 in Charlottesville VA. We thought we'd take
this opportunity to hightlight two of them for you.

We know economic times are tight and travel budgets are scarce, but we
guarantee you won't find a better value for professional development than
EdUI!

[http://edui.eventbrite.com/] Register Now! 

Molly Holzschlag

Molly E. Holzschlag is a well-known Web standards advocate, instructor,
and author. She is the former Group Lead for the Web Standards Project
(WaSP) and an invited expert to the HTML and CSS working groups at the
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

Via each of these roles, Molly works to educate designers and developers
on using Web technologies in practical ways to create highly sustainable,
maintainable, accessible, interactive and beautiful Web sites for the
global community.

Among her thirty-plus books is the The Zen of CSS Design, co-authored
with Dave Shea. The book artfully showcases the most progressive
[http://www.csszengarden.com] csszengarden.com designs. A popular and
colorful individual, Molly has a particular passion for people, blogs, and
the use of technology for social progress.

Join Molly for an all day, six hour session,
[http://www.eduiconf.org/session/web-standards-holzschlag/] New Insights in
Web Standards, where she'll discuss how HTML5 and CSS3 will help us
integrate modern, multimodal  techniques in the web-based content we
develop and design.

Michael Wesch

Dubbed “the explainer” by
[http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/multimedia/2007/04/ss_raves?slide=14]
Wired magazine, Michael Wesch is a cultural anthropologist exploring the
impact of new media on society and culture. After two years studying the
impact of writing on a remote indigenous culture in the rain forest of
Papua New Guinea, he has turned his attention to the effects of social
media and digital technology on global society.

His [http://www.youtube.com/user/mwesch] videos on culture, technology,
education, and information have been viewed by millions, translated in over
15 languages, and are frequently featured at international film festivals
and major academic conferences worldwide.

Wesch has won several major awards for his work, including a Wired
Magazine Rave Award, the John Culkin Award for Outstanding Praxis in Media
Ecology, and he was recently named an Emerging Explorer by National
Geographic.

He has also won several teaching awards, including the 2008 CASE/Carnegie
U.S. Professor of the Year for Doctoral and Research Universities.

Some of Michael’s most circulated YouTube Videos include:
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLlGopyXT_g] The Machine is Using Us
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o] A Vision of Students Today

Using examples from anthropological fieldwork in Papua New Guinea,
YouTube, university classrooms, and “the future,” Michael's plenary
presentation, [http://www.eduiconf.org/session/mediated-culture-wesch/]
Mediated Culture, will demonstrate the profound yet often unnoticed ways in
which media  “mediate” our culture.

EdUI Partners
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities -
[http://www.VirginiaFoundation.org] http://www.VirginiaFoundation.org
University of Virginia - [http://www.Virginia.edu]
http://www.Virginia.edu
[http://www.eduiconf.org/] www.eduiconf.org

This message was sent by: Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, 145 Ednam Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22903

Email Marketing by iContact: http://freetrial.icontact.com

Manage your subscription:
http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=1050599734&l=2328&s=1VC7&m=5373354&c=37488

Forward to a friend: 
http://app.icontact.com/icp/sub/forward?m=5373354&s=1050599734&c=1VC7&cid=37488