Subject: [CODE4LIB] XC's OAI Toolkit on Google Code

From: "Vakil, Shreyansh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:25:57 -0400

Hello

Good Afternoon!! 

The eXtensible Catalog (XC) OAI Toolkit repository is now available to
the public for download at http://code.google.com/p/xcoaitoolkit. This
project page, hosted by Google Code, is home to all the up-to-date
information about the OAI Toolkit, it's downloads, documentation, bug
reports, feature requests, most updated under-development code etc. of
the XC OAI Toolkit. You will just need a Google account to access the
project's code, bug tracking system and other features. 

The OAI Toolkit is used to make data stored in an institution's ILS or
other repository available for harvesting via OAI-PMH, including other
eXtensible Catalog applications. For an ILS, this is accomplished by
exporting ILS metadata, converting it from MARC to MARCXML, and loading
it into an OAI-PMH compliant repository. The repository (embedded in the
OAI Toolkit) makes the data available for harvesting by other XC
components.

The OAI Toolkit can be used as part of the XC system, or on its own to
enable OAI-PMH harvestability of an existing repository. It is a server
application written in Java and is only needed for ILS's and other
repositories that do not already have the ability to be act as OAI-PMH
Repositories (OAI Servers).

Documentation for the OAI Toolkit can be found at the links below:

*	OAI Toolkit Manual:
http://xcoaitoolkit.googlecode.com/files/OAIToolkitManual_v25.pdf
*	Release Notes:
http://xcoaitoolkit.googlecode.com/files/OAIToolkitReleaseNotes_v9.pdf

You can download the OAI importer and OAI server zip files from the
Downloads tab at http://code.google.com/p/xcoaitoolkit/downloads/list.
The OAI Toolkit Manual would be a good help in installing the OAI
Toolkit and then you would be ready to run the OAI Toolkit. 

The software code repository for the OAI Toolkit could be checked out
from SVN at https://xcoaitoolkit.googlecode.com/svn/tags
<https://xcoaitoolkit.googlecode.com/svn/tags> . 

OAI Toolkit is in a good stable condition at the moment, but still it is
under development solving the bug fixes and catering to the feature
requests to make it more efficient and stable. The Google bug tracking
system of the OAI Toolkit currently contains the outstanding bugs and
the feature requests
(http://code.google.com/p/xcoaitoolkit/issues/list). If you have any
suggestions, feature requests, or bugs reports we invite you to submit
them to the Google bug tracker system. 

For those interested in up-to the minute development, you could checkout
the most current OAI Toolkit code under development from SVN at
https://xcoaitoolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
<https://xcoaitoolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk> . 

More information about downloading the Google code and SVN, you can go
under the Source tab at
http://code.google.com/p/xcoaitoolkit/source/checkout

I am one of the developers working on the OAI Toolkit in the eXtensible
Catalog(XC) project. Please feel free to contact me with any questions
or concerns. 

Thanks and regards

Shrey Vakil

Software Developer

eXtensible Catalog Project

University of Rochester

(585) 273-1979

[email-masked]