Subject: [CODE4LIB] oclc data sharing policy survey

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:49:02 -0400

[Posted on behalf of Jennifer Younger, this is an additional  
announcement regarding the OCLC data sharing policy survey. Please  
consider completing the survey (http://tinyurl.com/ctptuy). --ELM]

Dear Colleague:

As chair of the OCLC Review Board on Shared Data Creation and  
Stewardship, I invite you to participate in a Web-based survey among  
librarians and other interested constituents. The primary goal of this  
survey is to gather input from both OCLC members and non-members about  
a proposed OCLC policy, Policy for Use and Transfer of WorldCat®  
Records.

The Review Board will consider the results of this survey in its  
recommendations to OCLC.

Please review the existing guidelines and proposed policy if you have  
not already done so:

   * Guidelines [1]
   * Proposed Policy [2]

The OCLC Review Board is an independent committee convened by the OCLC  
Board of Trustees and the OCLC Members Council. If you wish to find  
out more about the Review Board, please visit these links:

   * OCLC Review Board [3]
   * Press release - formation of Review Board [4]
   * Press release - Review Board members [5]

The survey is available online at the following site, where you will  
find specific instructions on completing the survey. [6]

I invite you to complete this survey yourself or forward it to a  
colleague with an interest in this issue. Your opinions and comments  
are vital to our evaluation, regardless of your current level of usage  
of OCLC services or your relationship to OCLC.

Please complete the questionnaire online by April 8, 2009. To protect  
the confidentiality of your responses, all data will be collected,  
tabulated, and analyzed by Linray, an independent market research  
consultant. We will receive data in aggregate form only; your answers  
will not be associated in any way with you or your organization.

If you have questions about the content of the survey, please send an  
e-mail to [email-masked]. As an alternative to the survey, we  
welcome your feedback by sending an e-mail to [email-masked] or  
posting comments. [7] Please feel free to provide input in the  
language of your choice.

Thank you for your participation in this survey.

[1] http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/records/guidelines/default.htm
[2] http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/recordusepolicy.pdf
[3] http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/board/default.htm
[4] http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/20092.htm
[5] http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/200910.htm
[6] https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=c0hILWPafv97EDbNiRXXjg_3d_3d
[7] http://community.oclc.org/reviewboard/

Sincerely,

Jennifer A. Younger
Chair, OCLC Review Board of Shared Data Creation and Stewardship
Edward H. Arnold Director, Hesburgh Libraries
University of Notre Dame