Subject: [CODE4LIB] open position: Large-scale Data Conversion/Validation Programmer, Univ of Mich LIbrary IT

From: Cory Snavely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:46:26 -0500

(Please forward as appropriate.)

University of Michigan Library IT Core Services is looking for a
talented, resourceful systems programmer to develop and maintain
software systems. A principal activity within LIT Core Services is the
development of a massive digital archiving infrastructure to support our
scanning partnership with Google; the archive currently contains over 5
million items (200 TB) and is projected to grow to over 10 million items
(400 TB) over the duration of the project. Programming projects will
initially consist of developing systems to process and validate incoming
data, diagnosing data problems, and large-scale transformation of
textual and image data.

Background:  The Library Information Technology (LIT) division provides
comprehensive technology support and guidance for the University of
Michigan Library system, including hosting digital library collections,
coordinating electronic publishing initiatives, and supporting
traditional library services (circulation of materials and management of
metadata).

The Core Services unit of LIT concentrates on server infrastructure,
systems integration, and automation of workflows for the library system.
Core Services undertakes projects in a number of technology areas,
including (for example) server deployment and administration,
automation, access control systems used daily by the University
community, and distributed systems that manage the flow of millions of
scanned page images per week.

Core Services operates a growing server infrastructure based primarily
on Linux, but partially on Solaris, consisting of approximately 70
servers and over 800 TB of storage spread across three data centers.

Job Requirements:

Required:  Bachelors degree in computer science or an equivalent
combination of education and experience; demonstrated programming
abilities in any applicable language; strong analytical and
troubleshooting skills; excellent verbal and written communication
skills.

Desired: Expertise with DAS, NAS, and SAN storage systems; experience in
Linux/Solaris administration; experience in database administration;
experience with developing XSLT transformations. 

FLSA: exempt 
Hours: 40 hours/week
Target Salary Range: dependent on education & relevant experience
Note:  This is a two year term appointment

For additional information, please contact csnavely at umich dot edu.