Subject: [CODE4LIB] Supervisory Systems Librarian Vacancy at West Point

From: "Bailey, D. MS LIB" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:22:28 -0500

The United States Military Academy seeks a creative, resourceful, and
imaginative leader to serve as Systems Librarian. The incumbent leads
the library in determining the feasibility, usefulness, and
appropriateness of myriad technologies in meeting the research needs of
faculty and students, as well as the work of library staff. The
incumbent oversees automation projects and systems, and works with
contractors, system vendors, customer support personnel, system
designers, analysts, programmers, and commercial automation specialists
to evaluate, implement, and support these systems. The incumbent leads
in long-range planning, particularly in moving technological systems and
services away from those designed to support a mostly print collection
to those supporting an increasingly digital collection. He or she will
establish priorities, implement projects, develop standards and
appraisals, and recruit staff. Candidates should possess detailed
knowledge of academic libraries, as well as the theory and operation of
computer networks, hardware, and software. Extensive knowledge of
integrated library systems, common programming scripts, and network
design is required. The successful candidate will have experience
leading projects, building teams, and motivating staff. A commitment to
the liberal arts and sciences, curiosity about the work of multiple
academic disciplines, and a love of students is essential.

The United States Military Academy was established in 1802. Recently
ranked #14 in U.S. News and World Report's list of national liberal-arts
colleges, it provides exceptionally bright, earnest, and motivated
students with a broad and rigorous liberal-arts education. It is the
only college specifically charged with preparing young men and women for
service as officers in the United States Army. As such, it has a
singular educational philosophy of graduating enlightened military
leaders of strong moral courage whose minds are creative, critical, and
resourceful. Located just 50 miles north of New York City, this
prestigious institution is nestled in the beautiful Hudson River Valley.
For more information on the Military Academy visit our website at
www.usma.edu.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: 

Master's Degree in Library or Information Service 

Minimum of three (3) years related experience and/or training 

Experience with Library Automation 

Experience with an integrated library system a plus 

Experience as Librarian a plus 

Experience as a Supervisor a plus

SALARY & BENEFITS: 

SALARY: $72,210.00-$94,564.00 annually

PAY GRADE: YC-2; Permanent; NSPS Retirement System

WORK SCHEDULE: 12 months, flexible

HOW TO APPLY:

The application process can be somewhat daunting. Please feel free to
contact me if you have any questions or need assistance. Interested
persons should submit a resume online using the Army's resumix system.
You must first enter your resume in the resumix system, then
self-nominate before the closing date of 30 Jan 2009.  

The job announcement (NEBR08781865RR) and access to the resumix system
is at:
http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=78175571&brd=3876&AVSDM=20
08%2D12%2D18+00%3A03%3A01&sort=rv&vw=d&q=librarian&Logo=0&ss=0&customapp
licant=15513%2C15514%2C15515%2C15669%2C15523%2C15512%2C15516%2C45575&Tab
Num=1&rc=3
<http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=78175571&brd=3876&AVSDM=2
008%2D12%2D18+00%3A03%3A01&sort=rv&vw=d&q=librarian&Logo=0&ss=0&customap
plicant=15513%2C15514%2C15515%2C15669%2C15523%2C15512%2C15516%2C45575&Ta
bNum=1&rc=3>  

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Donna L Bailey

Associate Director for Materials Processing

USMA Library

Jefferson Hall

758 Cullum Road

West Point, NY 10996

845.938.2659

Donna L Bailey

Associate Director for Materials Processing Division

USMA Library

Jefferson Hall

759 Cullum Road

West Point, NY 10996

845 938-2659