Subject: [CODE4LIB] iPRES 2009: Call for Abstracts

From: Perry Willett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:19:31 -0700

iPRES 2009: Call for Papers

http://www.cdlib.org/iPres/call_for_abstracts.html

Moving Into the Mainstream, Enabling Our Digital Future

Digital technology has become indispensible to modern

culture, commerce, science, education, and

entertainment. As our dependence on the digital

ecosystem increases, so does the need for effective and

sustainable digital preservation policies, strategies,

and practices so that the digital assets of our time

will remain viable and useful to future generations.

Digital preservation is considered broadly as a

continuum of intentions and activities leading to

long-lived digital assets that can be used, re-used, and

re-imagined in conventional and novel contexts now and

into the future. The theme of the iPRES 2009 conference

is "Moving into the mainstream, enabling our digital

future," which is intended to spark discussion of:

* Re-positioning preservation awareness and services

further upstream in the digital lifecycle so that

"born-archival" replaces "born-digital" as the norm

* Re-emphasizing that digital preservation problems and

solutions encompass legal, economic, and social as well

as technological dimensions

* Re-asserting the need for comprehensive integration of

preservation analysis and activities into the

organizational planning and operations of institutions

that produce, manage, or exploit digital resources

* Bringing preservation issues to the attention of the

broader public in order to change minds, policies, and

expectations

* Stressing the importance of seeing digital

preservation as an outcome resulting in usability

iPRES is a series of international conferences that

seeks to address issues and further the art and science

of digital preservation by bringing together experts and

practitioners from across the spectrum of preservation

disciplines. We invite you to submit papers and posters

that present new research findings or novel applications 

of digital preservation, particularly those that

demonstrate the mainstreaming of digital preservation

activities and practices.

A selection of the outstanding papers from the iPRES

2009 conference will be submitted for publication to the

International Journal of Digital Curation

<http://www.ijdc.net>, a leading peer-reviewed journal

of digital curation and preservation.

Important Dates

* June 5, 2009: Submission of paper and poster abstracts

* July 1, 2009: Notification of acceptance

* September 11, 2009: Submission of camera-ready papers

* October 5-6, 2009: iPRES 2009 conference

Format and Submission

Abstracts are due on June 5, 2009, and should be

submitted to [email-masked] in PDF format. Paper 

abstracts should be between 300 and 1,000 words; poster

abstracts should be between 200 and 500 words. All

abstracts should include the names, titles,

affiliations, and contact information for all authors.

Final papers can be up to eight pages in length

(including references) in the AAAI style. See

http://www.aaai.org/Publications/Author/author.php for

more information. Full papers, and poster and paper

abstracts, will be made available to conference

attendees in paper and electronic form.

Perry Willett

Digital Preservation Services Manager

California Digital Library

415 20th St., 4th Floor

Oakland CA 94612-2901

Ph: 510-987-0078

Fax: 510-893-5212

Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Perry Willett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:48:21 -0700

[cross-posted to dspace-general, eprints-tech, fedora-commons-users, code4lib]
Abstracts due June 5, 2009

iPRES 2009: Call for Abstracts

 
Digital technology has become indispensible to modern culture, commerce, science, education, and entertainment. As our dependence on the digital ecosystem increases, so does the need for effective and sustainable digital preservation policies, strategies, and practices so that the digital assets of our time will remain viable and useful to future generations.

Digital preservation is considered broadly as a continuum of intentions and activities leading to long-lived digital assets that can be used, re-used, and re-imagined in conventional and novel contexts now and into the future. The theme of the iPRES 2009 conference is "Moving into the mainstream, enabling our digital future," which is intended to spark discussion of:

* Re-positioning preservation awareness and services further upstream in the digital lifecycle so that "born-archival" replaces "born-digital" as the norm;
* Re-emphasizing that digital preservation problems and solutions encompass legal, economic, and social as well as technological dimensions;
* Re-asserting the need for comprehensive integration of preservation analysis and activities into the organizational planning and operations of institutions that produce, manage, or exploit digital resources;
* Bringing preservation issues to the attention of the broader public in order to change minds, policies, and expectations;
* Stressing the importance of seeing digital preservation as an outcome resulting in usability;

iPRES is a series of international conferences that seeks to address issues and further the art and science of digital preservation by bringing together experts and practitioners from across the spectrum of preservation disciplines. We invite you to submit proposals for panels, papers and posters that present new research findings or novel applications of digital preservation, particularly those that demonstrate the mainstreaming of digital preservation activities and practices.

A selection of the outstanding papers from the iPRES 2009 conference will be submitted for publication to the International Journal of Digital Curation <http://www.ijdc.net>, a leading peer-reviewed journal of digital curation and preservation.

Important Dates
 
Format and Submission
Abstracts are due on June 5, 2009, and should be submitted to [email-masked] in PDF format. Panel and paper abstracts should be between 300 and 1,000 words; poster abstracts should be between 200 and 500 words. All abstracts should include the names, titles, affiliations, and contact information for all authors.

Final papers can be up to eight pages in length (including references) in the AAAI style. See http://www.aaai.org/Publications/Author/author.php for more information. Full papers, and poster and paper abstracts, will be made available to conference attendees in paper and electronic form.

Perry Willett