Subject: [CODE4LIB] OR09 proposals due Feb. 6, 2009

From: Larry Hansard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:37:19 -0500

Open repositories 2009 - The Premier Venue for Implementers and 
Managers of Repository Infrastructure and Services
Proposals deadline extended until Friday Feb. 6, 2009: 
<http://conferences.library.gatech.edu/or/or09>http://conferences.library.gatech.edu/or/or09

Call for Papers, Posters and Workshops

Repositories are being deployed in a variety of environments 
(education, research, science, cultural heritage) and contexts 
(national, regional, institutional, project, lab, personal). 
Regardless of setting, context or scale, repositories are 
increasingly expected to operate across administrative and 
disciplinary boundaries and to interact with distributed 
computational services and social communities. It is the aim of the 
Open Repositories Conference to bring together individuals and 
organizations responsible for the conception, development, 
implementation and management of digital repositories, as well as 
stakeholders who interact with them, to address theoretical, 
practical, and strategic issues.

A program of papers, panel discussions, poster presentations, user 
groups, and workshops or tutorials will bring together all the key 
stakeholders in the field. Open source software community meetings 
for the major platforms (EPrints, DSpace and Fedora) will also 
provide opportunities to advance and coordinate the development of 
repository installations across the world. The conference will 
include a keynote address by John Wilbanks, who runs the Science 
Commons project at Creative Commons.

Submission Instructions

Conference Proposals: We welcome two- to four-page proposals for 
presentations or panels that discuss theoretical, practical, or 
administrative issues of digital repositories that focus on areas 
represented by the conference themes. Abstracts of accepted proposals 
will be made available through the conference's OCS site; all 
presentations and related materials used in the program sessions will 
be deposited in the upcoming Open Repositories 2009 community in 
Georgia Tech's institutional repository, SMARTech 
(<http://smartech.gatech.edu/>http://SMARTech.gatech.edu).

User Group Presentations: Two- to four-page proposals for 
presentations or panels that focus on use of one of the major 
repository platforms (EPrints, DSpace and Fedora) are invited from 
developers, researchers, repository managers, administrators and 
practitioners describing novel experiences or developments in the 
construction and use of repositories.

Posters: We also invite developers, researchers, repository managers, 
administrators and practitioners to submit one-page proposals for posters.

Workshops: Proposals for workshops for repository managers and 
developers can be accommodated on day four (May 21, 2009) of the 
conference. Please contact the local arrangements team for inquiries 
about workshop facilities at 
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked].

Please submit your proposal through the OCS system administered by 
Georgia Tech. The OCS system will be linked from the conference web 
site 
(<http://conferences.library.gatech.edu/or/or09>http://conferences.library.gatech.edu/or/or09) 
and will be available for submissions as of December 1, 2008.

Important Dates and Contact Info

2009-02-06: Submission deadline for Conference proposals 
(presentations or panels), Extended
2009-03-06: Notification of acceptance, Conference proposals

2009-02-02: Submission deadline for Workshops
2009-03-06: Notification of acceptance, Workshops

2009-03-06: Submission of User Group Proposals
2009-04-03: Notification of acceptance, User Group proposals

2009-03-19: Submission of Poster Proposals
2009-04-10: Notification of acceptance, Poster proposals

2009-05-18 Conference

Inquiries to:

DSpace User Group meeting Chair <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
Fedora User Group meeting Chair 
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
EPrints User Group meeting Chair 
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
Program Committee Chair <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
Host Organizing Committee 
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]

Conference Themes

DATA, REPOSITORIES, AND INFRASTRUCTURE

     * Repositories and scientific workflows
     * Managing the lifecycle for scientific data
     * Repositories for qualitative data, the humanities, social 
sciences, virtual organizations, grid/cloud computing, etc.
     * Integrating with publishing and publishing platforms
     * Repositories and HPC applications (models and simulations; 
visualization)
     * Integrating with other infrastructure platforms (e.g., SRB, iRODS)
     * Scaling repositories to the demands of e-science

REPOSITORIES IN THE ORGANIZATION

     * Organizational and financial sustainability, business models
     * Organizational and strategic context of repositories 
(libraries, archives, institutes, etc.)
     * Challenges in staffing digital repository and 
cyberinfrastructure services: recruitment; professional education; 
professional development; defining the roles and expertise of data 
curators and data scientists; training the next generation of 
repository managers
     * Organizational synergies and collaboration
     * Sustaining content over time: preservation; audit; 
certification; assessment; demonstrating value
     * Repository policies and governance
     * Embedding repositories in business processes and workflows
     * Repository services and organizational culture
     * Strategies for engaging with science and social science communities
     * Making the case for organizational investment in repository services

INTEROPERABILITY AND DATA NETWORKS

     * Integration and interoperability issues among repository platforms
     * Collaboration among repository
     * Integration of repositories with software tools and workflows
     * Building federated repositories
     * Developing computational services and interfaces across 
distributed repositories
     * Achieving interoperability across administrative and 
disciplinary domains: technical and cultural challenges
     * Middleware topics (integration with access management 
frameworks, workflow management systems, etc.)
     * Content standards - discipline-specific vs general
     * Metadata standards and application profiles
     * Quality standards and quality control processes

SERVICES, INTERFACES, SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATIONS

     * Virtual organizations
     * OAI services
     * Social networking, annotation / tagging, personalization
     * Searching / information discovery
     * Multi-stakeholder value: preservation, open access, research, 
management, administration
     * Multi-agenda, multi-function, multi-purpose repositories
     * Usefulness and usability
     * Interfaces between repositories and scholarly publications or 
publishing platforms
     * Reference, reuse, reanalysis, re-interpretation, and 
repurposing of content
     * Citation of data / learning objects
     * Repository metrics
     * Bibliometrics: usage and impact

REPOSITORY USE CASES AND CASE STUDIES

     * E- research/E-science (e.g., data and publication; 
collaborative services)
     * E-scholarship
     * Discipline-oriented repositories
     * Scholarly Publishing
     * Digital Library
     * Cultural Heritage
     * Scientific repositories / data repositories
     * Repositories that operate across multiple disciplines, 
organizations, and sectors (private/public; higher education/government; etc.)

---

Larry Hansard
Technical Project Director
Library & Information Center
Georgia Institute of Technology
404-894-4585