Subject: [CODE4LIB] Position Announcement: Assistant Director at MITH

From: Aimee Babcock-Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 08:05:48 -0400

I am just the messenger.

ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (position #115754)

Made possible by a major Challenge Grant from the National Endowment  
for the Humanities, the Maryland Institute for Technology in the  
Humanities (MITH) is a collaboration of the University of Maryland's  
College of Arts and Humanities, Libraries, and Office of Information  
Technology. In the ten years since its founding, MITH has become  
internationally recognized as one of the leading digital humanities  
centers in the world. As the host of the 2009 Digital Humanities  
conference and the co-organizer of centerNet (an international network  
of similar centers), MITH is one of the centers at the heart of the  
now burgeoning international field of digital humanities.

MITH is generously supported by the University administration and  
enjoys productive collaborations with allied campus units, including  
the University Libraries, the College of Information Science, and the  
Human Computer Interaction Lab. Geographically situated within the  
Washington DC Beltway, MITH is perfectly positioned for its frequent  
collaborations with the world-class libraries, museums, and cultural  
institutions in the metropolitan area, but our partnerships have also  
extended around the world. Recent projects include a collaboration  
with several major libraries in the U.K. and the United States to  
create an online archive of all extant pre-1642 quartos of  
Shakespeare’s plays and participation on a national research team  
charged by the Library of Congress with the preservation of virtual  
worlds (e.g. Adventure, DOOM, and Second Life). This latter project is  
part of MITH’s larger focus on the preservation of born digital  
creative work, also represented by our hosting of the Electronic  
Literature Organization and the Deena Larsen Collection--one of the  
world’s largest publicly held collections of electronic literature.

The Assistant Director will bear primary responsibility for project  
management and oversight of all MITH projects, including creation of  
deadlines for all deliverables and project tracking; the supervision  
of MITH’s development team, that includes programmers, web designers,  
graduate assistants, and interns; and computer programming services,  
data, and application architecture design and modeling for MITH  
projects. We are therefore seeking a web programmer experienced with  
web scripting languages (JavaScript, PHP, Ruby) and with some  
knowledge of compiled languages (Java, C++). Ability to work with Unix/ 
Linux based applications is required, and preference will be given to  
candidates with database and XML expertise. Strong organizational and  
project management skills are also mandatory, as are excellent  
communication skills. A humanities background is especially desirable.  
Bachelor’s degree required; MA, MLS, or Ph.D. preferred.

The Assistant Director is a full-time, 12-month staff position at the  
University. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from  
$51,304-$64,131. The University also offers a competitive benefits  
package. To apply, please send a letter of application, CV, and  
contact information for three references to Doug Reside, Search Chair,  
via email: [email-masked]. For best consideration, apply by close of  
business on October 9, 2009. The University of Maryland actively  
subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity and will not  
discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age,  
gender, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability,  
religion, national origin, or political affiliation. Women and  
Minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.

_______________________________________________
Questions about HCIL or this list, contact [email-masked].
https://mailman.cs.umd.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcil

Aimee Babcock-Ellis
Graduate Assistant
Nonprint Media Services
301.405.9236
[email-masked]
www.lib.umd.edu/nonprint