Subject: [CODE4LIB] NISO Institutional Identifiers Survey response period extended

From: "Grace J. Agnew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:30:37 -0400

Posted on behalf of the NISO I2 Library Workflows Scenario Group

This is a reposting soliciting participation in a survey on 
institutional identifiers to support library workflows in the digital 
information space.  We are extending the survey deadline to FRIDAY 
SEPTEMBER 25.  The responses received to date have been tremendously 
helpful and will defintely  inform and guide the work of this group. 
Thank to all of you who have already participated.  If you have not yet 
participated, I encourage you to do so.  The survey is 11 questions and 
takes no more than 15 minutes to complete. 

The survey link is: http://bit.ly/qyKaZ 

The original call for the survey, explaining its purpose, is below.

ORIGINAL CALL FOR SURVEY PARTICIPATION:

NISO has identified the need for an institutional identifier to enable 
information transactions among uniquely identified entities across the 
Web.  The NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) working group has been 
established to develop a robust, scalable and interoperable standard for 
identifying the institution--a core entity in any information transaction.

Institutions create, purchase, share and establish the provenance and 
authority of information for their users.  Libraries have been among the 
earliest adopters of institutional identifiers, from the published union 
catalog of library cards with NUC identifiers to interlibrary lending 
using the MARC code list for Organizations.  These identifiers have 
reached their limits in terms of extensibility, scale and uniqueness.  
As non-actionable identifiers, they lack the currency and functionality 
to support information management in the global web environment.

This identifier strategy must work in the global information space and 
support the business model and needs of all the 
stakeholders---commercial information and service providers, 
institutions, creators, rights holders and users. It must integrate 
smoothly with existing workflows and processes and enable future 
workflows within the information chain.

Libraries are major participants in global information sharing and have 
critical needs for institutional identifiers within their own 
organizations, for consortial activities and to share information with 
other institutions and their users worldwide.  Legacy identifiers are 
embedded in most core library workflows.  Understanding and supporting 
the needs of libraries is critical for the development of an 
institutional identifier strategy that is robust and useful for the long 
term.

Please assist us by taking part in a brief survey about the use of 
institutional identifiers in libraries.  More than individual can 
contribute from a library since the use of identifiers differs across 
library workflow areas.   The survey consists of 11 questions that are 
largely multiple choice and takes about 15 minutes to complete.

Thank  you for your assistance with this effort.  Your participation is 
important to us.

PLEASE ACCESS THE SURVEY HERE:  http://bit.ly/qyKaZ

Grace Agnew and Mark Needleman
Co-chairs, NISO I2 Library Workflows Scenario Group
-- 

________________________________________________________________

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
Library Technical Services Building
47 Davidson Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854-5603

[email-masked]
PH: (732) 445-5908
FAX: (732) 445-5888

-- 

________________________________________________________________

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
Library Technical Services Building
47 Davidson Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854-5603

[email-masked]
PH: (732) 445-5908
FAX: (732) 445-5888