Subject: [CODE4LIB] CFP LITA Forum 2009, Salt Lake City

From: Thomas Dowling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:13:55 -0500

*Reminder*  CALL FOR PROPOSALS

The 2009 National Forum Committee seeks proposals for high quality
concurrent sessions and poster sessions for the 12th annual LITA
National Forum to be held at the Hilton Salt Lake City Center hotel in
Salt Lake City, Utah from October 1-4, 2009.

This year we have switched over to online submissions so it's quick and
easy (see the URL below).  Also, we've extended the deadline for
submitting proposals to February 20, 2009!

Theme: Open and Mobile

The Forum Committee is interested in presentations that highlight
specific technology implementations; just over-the-horizon technologies
that are almost ready for implementation; or information technology
research. We are interested in all types of libraries: public,
government, school, academic, special, and corporate. Proposals on any
aspect of library and information technology are welcome.

Some possible ideas for proposals might include:

   * Handheld Technologies: PDAs, Smartphones, Tablet PCS
   * E-learning: Effective e-learning and distance learning for
     the mobile-optimized Web
   * Mobile Devices and Accessibility
   * Library-specific open source software (OSS) and other OSS
     "in" Libraries, technology on a budget
   * Exposing Library Services via APIs (or APIs in general)
   * Anticipating Change: how libraries can be more
     mobile/flexible/responsive

   * Social Computing: social tools, collaborative software, etc.
   * User created content: Book reviews, tagging, etc.
   * Virtual worlds
   * Gaming in Education and Libraries
   * Federated and Meta-Searching: design and management,
     integrated access to resources, search engines
   * Digital Libraries/ Institutional Repositories: developments
     in resource linking, preservation, maintenance, web services
   * Authentication and Authorization: Digital Rights Management
     (DRM), authentication, privacy, services for remote patrons
   * Web design: information architecture, activity-centered design,
     user-centered design, usability testing
   * Technology Management: project management, geek management,
     budgeting, knowledge sharing applications
   * Internet Law: privacy, copyright, filtering
   * RFID in libraries

Presentations must have a technological focus and pertain to libraries
and/or be of interest to librarians. Concurrent sessions are
approximately 75 minutes in length and sessions of all varieties are
welcomed from traditional single- or multi-speaker formats to panel
discussions, case studies, and demonstrations of projects. Forum 2009
will also accept a limited number of poster session proposals.

For projects that will still be in preliminary development in October
2009, we recommend presentation at a lightning talk or other
un-conference-like activity for which time will be reserved at Forum. A
call for these types of presentations and discussions will be issued
after February 2009.

Presenters are required to submit draft presentation slides and/or
handouts three weeks in advance for inclusion on the Forum USB drive,
and are required to submit final presentation slides to be made
available on the Web site after the event.

Your proposals are welcome and much appreciated! To submit a proposal,
enter the following information online at
http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/lita2009/ :

*     Title
*     Summary (a one-sentence description of your presentation)
      (max. 200 characters)
*     Abstract and brief outline
*     Level indicator (basic, intermediate, or advanced)
*     Brief biographical information. Include experience as a
      presenter and expertise in the topic
*     Full contact information
*     Is this proposal for a concurrent session?
*     Is this proposal for a poster session?
*     If this proposal is for a concurrent session, might it be
      considered for a poster session?
*     If this proposal is for a concurrent session, might it be
      expanded into a half-day or full-day preconference?
*     How did you hear about the 2009 Forum call for proposals?

Submit proposals by February 20, 2009 online at:

http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/lita2009/

The 2009 Forum Planning Committee will review proposals starting in
February 2009. You will be contacted about the status of your proposal
by the end of March.