Subject: [CODE4LIB] Serials Solutions joins eXtensible Catalog Project

From: Jennifer Bowen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:45:08 -0400

Serials Solutions Joins eXtensible Catalog Project

The University of Rochester River Campus Libraries announce that Serials
Solutions, a leader in providing technology solutions for libraries, has
joined the eXtensible Catalog (XC) Project -- an Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
funded project currently underway at the University’s River Campus
Libraries.  Serials Solutions’ involvement is both technical and financial.
 The additional funding for the eXtensible Catalog Project by Serials
Solutions reflects the company’s commitment to supporting the development of
a common open-source framework for enhancing and enriching metadata for
libraries and other cultural institutions.  Serials Solutions believes that
the XC software holds much potential for providing a standard platform for
metadata enrichment across a variety of products and applications, both
open-source and commercial. 

About Serials Solutions
Founded in 2000 by a librarian for librarians, Serials Solutions is the
global leader in E-Resource Access and Management Services (ERAMS) that
serves more than 2,000 libraries of all sizes and types. Serials Solutions®
KnowledgeWorks, the authoritative e-resource knowledgebase, is the
foundation for Serials Solutions® 360, the only complete and integrated
e-resource access and management solution. 

About the eXtensible Catalog
The XC system currently in development will provide libraries with
open-source tools and software that will allow libraries to expand their
current roles.  Library content, both traditional and digital, can easily be
integrated in other systems, including Content and Learning Management
Systems.  The XC system will empower libraries to create customized
discovery systems and solutions for their users needs.  XC is being created
through a collaborative design and development process with a team of
developers at the University of Rochester and at partner institutions.  XC
will be compatible with a range of integrated library systems and
centralized authentication services, will support multiple metadata formats
and will deliver a customizable next-generation user interface.  The
University of Rochester is in the process of forming a not-for-profit
organization to support the XC software and its users.  More information
about the eXtensible Catalog is available at www.extensiblecatalog.org. 

About the University of Rochester
The University of Rochester (www.rochester.edu) is one of the nation's
leading private universities. Located in Rochester, N.Y., the University
gives students exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary study and
close collaboration with faculty through its unique cluster-based
curriculum.  Its College of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering is complemented
by the Eastman School of Music, Simon School of Business, Warner School of
Education, Laboratory for Laser Energetics, Schools of Medicine and Nursing,
and the Memorial Art Gallery.