Subject: [CODE4LIB] audio/video citations in an OpenURL

From: Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:33:39 -0500

[ The [email-masked] listserv seems to be down, so I'll send this here 
instead for some feedback, ignore if you know nothing about or don't 
care about OpenURL. :) ]

There doesn't seem to be any good way to specify an audio or video
'genre' for a SAP1/2 OpenURL.

The "book" format has all the metadata I'd need in it for audio or video
work specified, but just doesn't let me say audio or video (which I
guess makes sense because it's called "book").

But in using my link resolver as a general purpose item-finder, I really
want to be able to send citations to it for audio or video materials
(like a CD or DVD), and them identified as audio or video materials, so
the link resolver can respond accordingly.

Is there anything I can do at all?

Hmm, I could send a DC KEV OpenURL (ie info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:dc ; there
is no format for an XML DC? Kind of odd), and use the "type" element. 
"The nature or genre of the content of the resource. Type includes terms 
describing general categories, functions, genres, or aggregation levels 
for content. Recommended best practice is to select a value from a 
controlled vocabulary (for example, the DCMI Type Vocabulary)." I'm 
having trouble finding 'the DCMI Type Vocabulary' for sure (anyone know 
where I find that?), but it looks like it might include terms "Sound" 
and "MovingImage".

There's no way to actually specify which controlled vocabulary I am 
using in a DC KEV OpenURL 'type' element, is there?

If anyone thinks this makes sense and there's a way to do this, can you
give me an example of a DC KEV OpenURL with a type in it specifying
something like 'audio' or 'video'?

Jonathan
**

-- 
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer
The Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
410.516.8886
rochkind (at) jhu.edu

---

From: Jonathan Brinley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:51:30 -0500

Jonathan,

I can't help with most of your problem, but I can point you to the
DCMI Type Vocabulary:
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

Have a nice day,
Jonathan

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]> wrote:
> instead for some feedback, ignore if you know nothing about or don't care
> about OpenURL. :) ]
>
> is no format for an XML DC? Kind of odd), and use the "type" element. "The
> nature or genre of the content of the resource. Type includes terms
> describing general categories, functions, genres, or aggregation levels for
> content. Recommended best practice is to select a value from a controlled
> vocabulary (for example, the DCMI Type Vocabulary)." I'm having trouble
> finding 'the DCMI Type Vocabulary' for sure (anyone know where I find
> that?), but it looks like it might include terms "Sound" and "MovingImage".
>
> There's no way to actually specify which controlled vocabulary I am using in
> a DC KEV OpenURL 'type' element, is there?
>

-- 
Jonathan M. Brinley

[email-masked]
http://xplus3.net/

---

From: "Stephens, Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:55:00 -0000

If it helps, the OAI_DC
http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadata
Prefix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:oai_dc

Includes dc:format and dc:type, so this might fill the need of an XML DC
structure.

You could use the MARCXML structure I guess, but much more complicated.
Could you pass the metadata by context rather than by value to give you
more flexibility? What format is the metadata in natively?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Assistant Director: eStrategy and Information Resources
Central Library
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
London
SW7 2AZ
 
t: +44 (0)20 7594 8829
e: [email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Jonathan Rochkind
> Sent: 07 January 2009 16:34
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [CODE4LIB] audio/video citations in an OpenURL
>

---

From: Ross Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:01:10 -0500

> is no format for an XML DC? Kind of odd), and use the "type" element.

http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:oai_dc

Other possibilities here would be:

http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:MARC21

and

http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:mods

The latter is in trial use, but it would be odd for it not to be
approved at some point in the not too distant future.

-Ross.

---

From: Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:40:19 -0500

Would it be a legal OpenURL to use any of those in an OpenURL? They 
aren't approved for OpenURL use, right?

But if I have to do something non-standard with OpenURL, might as well 
use a non-OpenURL standard, sure.

In general, the lack of easy extensibility of OpenURL is a flaw that 
hopefully we will learn from in subsequent standards.

Jonathan

---

From: "Young,Jeff (OR)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:57:50 -0500

The sap2-2004 Community Profile
(http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadat
aPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/pro:sap2-2004) only recognizes oai_dc
and MARC21. 

The mods metadata format was registered to support the rtm-2007 profile
(http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadat
aPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/pro:rtm-2007).

It's possible that a SAP2-2004 resolver *could* recognize the mods
metadata format, but it would be non-standard behavior.

Jeff

Of
> Ross Singer
> Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:01 PM
> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] audio/video citations in an OpenURL
> 
Pr
> efix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:oai_dc
> 
Pr
> efix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:MARC21
> 
> and
> 
>
Pr
> efix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:mods
>

---

From: "Stephens, Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 19:12:23 +0000

Legal? Yes, as far as I know. How well resolvers will handle them may  
be another question.

I think the openurl is designed to be extensible in terms of metadata  
by use of community profiles. In theory this seems fine, but I'm not  
sure how easy it has been to get new profiles accepted in practice.

Owen

On 7 Jan 2009, at 17:40, "Jonathan Rochkind" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> But if I have to do something non-standard with OpenURL, might as  
> well use a non-OpenURL standard, sure.
>
> 410.516.8886 rochkind (at) jhu.edu

---

From: Jeff Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:44:37 -0500

Jonathan,

Don't confuse the SAP community for OpenURL in general. It is the
community profiles and their implied consensus that are the limiting
factors in this case. 

In contrast, I can imagine other OpenURL profiles that are open-ended
and dynamic, although I would agree this is somewhat problematic given
the current community profile schema.

Jeff

Of
> Jonathan Rochkind
> Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:40 PM
> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Jonathan Rochkind
<[email-masked]>
> wrote: