Subject: [CODE4LIB] CALL FOR TUTORIAL PROPOSALS: DC-2009 Conference

From: Myung-Ja Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:24:07 -0500

Dear all,

Apologies for cross-posting.

Dublin Core-2009 Conference invites proposals for the Tutorial to be held in
Seoul, Korea from 12 to 16 October 2009. We wish to include both
Introductory and Advanced tutorials in the program, and would welcome
proposals in both categories as described below.

Thank you,
mj

---------------------------------------------------

*Introductory Tutorials*

A half-day introductory tutorial stream is envisaged for the Monday before
the main conference

(12 October 2009). It is expected that this will be comprised of two
sessions of two hours. The

purpose of this stream is to give new participants a thorough grounding in
the Dublin Core

Metadata Initiative. In particular, the tutorials should cover:

• the development and focus of DCMI

• the Dublin Core Metadata Element Set

• the Dublin Core Abstract Model, its role and key concepts

• the Singapore Framework, and the development and use of Dublin Core
Application

---------------------------------------------------

*Profiles*

Support for attendance will be provided to presenters of introductory
tutorials. Proposals are

invited from individuals, indicating the topics they would cover, relevant
experience, and the

learning approach. Joint proposals covering the all the desired material are
particularly

encouraged.

---------------------------------------------------

*Advanced Tutorials*

DC-2009 will focus on linked data and the enabling of the Semantic Web.
Conference

participants will explore the conceptual and practical issues in breaking
the constraints of data

silos and connecting pieces of data, information, and knowledge. Proposals
for advanced

tutorials are invited that would explore practice issues related to this
theme. It is envisaged that

advanced tutorials would be offered twice, on the Monday (12 October 2009)
and Friday (16

October 2009), and proposals for both half and full day tutorials are
welcome. No direct support

will be provided to advanced tutorial presenters, but revenue will be split
between the

Conference and the presenters. (Registration for half day tutorials will be
US$100, for full day

tutorials US$200).

---------------------------------------------------

*Submission and selection process*

The language for all tutorials will be English. Proposals should be
submitted by 15 May 2009 to

the Tutorial Chairs, John Roberts ([email-masked]) and Heesop
Kim

([email-masked]). Please feel free to contact us with any queries
regarding this call.

Successful proposals will be advised by 22 June 2009, in line with
notification of paper

acceptance for the main conference. It is expected that tutorial presenters
will provide handout

materials by 11 September 2009 in time for copying and inclusion in
conference material for

delegates. Authors of tutorial materials need to agree to grant DCMI a
perpetual, non-exclusive

licence to use, copy and distribute the material and/or create adaptations
or derivatives from the

material in any medium for any purpose and without fee or royalty.

---------------------------------------------------

*The full Call for Proposals - DC 2009 Conference Tutorials is available at:
*

http://dublincore.org/workshops/dc2009/dc-2009-cftut.shtm<http://dublincore.org/workshops/dc2009/dc-2009-cftut.shtml>

---------------------------------------------------

Myung-Ja "MJ" Han
Metadata Librarian
220 Main Library
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
1408 W. Gregory Dr. (MC-522)
Urbana, IL 61801
217-333-9515 (Main Library)
217-244-7809 (Grainger)