Subject: [CODE4LIB] World Usability Day at Simmons - 11/12

From: Linnea Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:20:16 -0400

Dear all,

Apologies for the cross posting, but I wanted to share information  
about  a fantastic and free upcoming event
at Simmons College in Boston.

November 12, 2009 is the World Usability Day. Simmons GSLIS (Graduate  
School
of Library and Information Science) Usability Lab
(http://gslis.simmons.edu/usability/), in partnering with the Student
Chapters of American Society of Information Science and Technology
(http://gslis.simmons.edu/blogs/asist/) and Special Library Association
(http://gslis.simmons.edu/wikis/sla/Main_Page), will host an event in  
the
morning of November 12th at Linda Paresky Conference Center (3rd floor  
of
Main College Building), Simmons College. The event is open to the  
public,
and the registration is free.

Below are the details of the event:

9:00-9:15 Welcome
9:15-10:00 Keynote: The Top Ten Myths About Usability. Tom Tullis, Vice
President of Usability at Fidelity Investments
10:00-11:00 Usability Lab as a Collaborative Platform for Applied  
Research,
Experiential Learning, and Community Services. Rong Tang (Director,  
Simmons
GSLIS Usability Lab) and Linnea Johnson (Manager, Simmons GSLIS  
Usability
Lab)
11:00-12:00 Poster session and tours of Simmons GSLIS Usability Lab

The keynote speaker Thomas S. (Tom) Tullis is Vice President of  
Usability at
Fidelity Investments and Adjunct Professor at Bentley University in the
Human Factors in Information Design program. He joined Fidelity in  
1993 and
was instrumental in the development of the company's usability  
department.
Its facilities include a state-of-the-art Usability Lab. Prior to  
joining
Fidelity, he held positions at Canon Information Systems, McDonnell  
Douglas,
Unisys Corporation, and Bell Laboratories. He and Fidelity's usability  
team
have been featured in a number of publications, including Newsweek,  
Business
2.0, Money, The Boston Globe, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York
Times. Tullis received a B.A. from Rice University, an M.A. in  
experimental
psychology from New Mexico State University, and a Ph.D. in engineering
psychology from Rice University. During his 30 years of experience in
human-computer interface studies, he has published more than 50 papers  
in
numerous technical journals and has been an invited speaker at  
national and
international conferences. He also holds eight U.S. patents. He is co- 
author
(with Bill Albert) of the book "Measuring the User Experience:  
Collecting,
Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics" (Morgan Kaufman, March  
2008)
and co-author (with Bill Albert and Donna Tedesco) of the forthcoming  
book,
"Beyond the Usability Lab: Conducting Large-Scale User Experience
Studies"(Morgan Kaufman, Jan. 2010).

The poster session will feature following GSLIS student usability  
projects:

.	Borden, Daniel. Usability Testing: The Boston Redevelopment
Authority Zoning Webpage
.	Chu, Ellen. Child's Usability Test: A Comparison Between the ICDL
and Brooklyn Public Library Search Interfaces
.	Gulyamov, Otabek. UCLA Library Web Usability
.	Lee, Kyoung sun. Running a Usability Test: Searching in SIRIS
.	McMahon, Mark. Usability Testing: Faceted Browsing
.	Rodzvilla, John. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: Testing
the Usability of Online Research Guides in Academic Libraries

Registration is required to attend the event. The deadline for  
registration
is: November 9, 2009.

To register, please click on the following link:

http://gsliswud.eventbrite.com/

For directions and maps of Simmons College, please click on the  
following
link:

http://www.simmons.edu/overview/directions/

We hope to see you there!

Rong Tang and Linnea Johnson

----

Linnea Johnson '04LS
Assistant Manager of Information Technology
GSLIS Adjunct Faculty
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
GSLIS Technology Group
Simmons College
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115
617-521-2834
[email-masked]
http://gslislab.simmons.edu