Subject: [CODE4LIB] Programming contractor sought

From: Kyle Banerjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:50:07 -0800

Feel free to forward.

Programming Contractor sought:

Contractor is responsible for implementing a prototype system that
aggregates access to existing digital content stored in digital
archives among the 48 members of the Orbis Cascade Alliance and the
Northwest Digital Archives. The successful prototype will be used as a
basis for securing a large scale grant to build sustainable digital
programs.

Tasks:

* Communicate with administrators of member repositories
* Design and test software
* Define and implement interfaces with member repositories
* Evaluate potential commercial and open-source solutions for
repository applications
* Maintain/create relevant documentation,
* Attend project meetings as needed,

Contractor may be required to represent the Alliance at
technically-oriented conferences and meetings.

The total value of the contract is estimated at $16,500, based on grant funds.

We will expect the contractor to commit to half-time from March 1 –
August 31, 2009. Attendance at meetings will be mandatory; meetings
possibly held in the Portland, OR area. Travel expenses up to $750
will be reimbursed based on applicable University of Oregon policies.

Skills required:

* Demonstrated facility with UNIX/Linux, including shell scripting
* Proven ability to follow programming specifications, including prioritization
* A proven track record with finishing projects on time and at budget
* Demonstrated experience with database technology, including MySQL
* Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
* Creativity in problem solving to independently resolve technical issues
* Two or more years of software development experience
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science,
Information Science, Library Science, or related field

Preferred skills:

* Knowledge of library systems, particularly OPACs
* Knowledge of library standards, particularly MARC
* Experience with IT in a higher education environment
* Experience with repository software (such as DSpace, Greenstone, or Fedora).
* Knowledge of PHP, Python, SQL, JavaScript, CSS, XML, XPATH, and XSLT
* Experience working with version control software
* Experience writing and maintaining technical documentation
* Demonstrable experience in OAI-PMH, SRU, and OpenURL,
* Familiarity with metadata standards, preferably Dublin
Core,MARC,EAD, METS, and MODS

Review of Contractor materials will begin on February 28; materials
received by that time will receive preference.

To Apply:

Please send Word or pdf attachments via e-mail to [email-masked]
and include the following:

* Cover letter addressing relevant qualifications for the position
* Resume
* Names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------
Kyle Banerjee
Digital Services Program Manager
Orbis Cascade Alliance
[email-masked] / 541.359.9599