Subject: [CODE4LIB] Two new sessions at EdUI : iPhone Dev and Web Apps Vs. Websites

From: John Loy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:14:59 -0400

=== LESS THAN A MONTH LEFT. TIME TO REGISTER! ===

It's only a matter of days to go until the EdUI Conference Sept. 21-22
in Charlottesville VA! So now is the time to register if you haven't
already.

http://edui.eventbrite.com

=== ABOUT EDUI ===

http://eduiconf.org

If you don't yet know what EdUI is all about, be sure to check out
http://eduiconf.org . In short, EdUI (the name is a marriage of "Edu"
and "UI") is a conference for web professionals, particularly those in
higher ed, that offers full-day workshops and peer presentations on
user experience and user interface issues like usability, design,
coding, rich media, and social media.

Our speaking lineup features some of the top experts in the web
industry, alongside your peers who are doing extraordinary things at
their institutions. We know training and travel budgets are tight
right now, but we guarantee this is one of the best values you'll find
for professional development! Other events featuring similar speaker
line-ups often cost $1000+ and require travel to expensive cities.
EdUI is held in beautiful, historic, and affordable Charlottesville
VA, home of Thomas Jefferson and a popular tourist destination
http://tinyurl.com/lfmpn3 .

=== SESSIONS FOR THE LIBRARY-MINDED ===

We're excited to feature two giants in library search an discovery
software, Bess Sadler and Eric

=== TWO NEW SESSIONS JUST ADDED! IPHONE DEV AND WEB APPS VS. WEBSITES ===

Steve VanBrackle presents "Web Development for the Apple iPhone"
http://www.eduiconf.org/session/iphone-vanbrackle/

This session will discuss and demonstrate the tools that Apple
provides for building web applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
An overview of the steps involved in laying out an interface,
customize controllers and adding handlers and code will be covered.

---

Nick Gould presents "What’s in a Name? Guidelines for Designing
Applications vs. Websites"
http://www.eduiconf.org/session/apps-vs-sites-gould/

Recent advances in rich user interface technologies such as DHTML,
AJAX, and Flash have blurred the already fuzzy distinction between
websites and web applications. In fact, many websites actually combine
application-like experiences with website-like experiences with no
ill-effects.

Of course, end users don’t know (or care) whether they are interacting
with a site or an application, they just want to accomplish their
goals–and they have high expectations of usability in all cases. But
does the distinction still matter for interaction designers? Can this
distinction help us to better leverage user expectations and behaviors
towards a more usable and successful experience? Can the
classification of an interface as an application or a website assist
in the speed or effectiveness of the design process? Perhaps…

In this talk, Nick will review the different user and task
characteristics of websites versus web applications and explore the
design guidelines that these characteristics imply. He might also tell
a joke.

---

View the full conference schedule at http://eduiconf.org/program/ .

=== REFER A FRIEND, WIN A DELL LAPTOP! ===

We know you're already planning to come to EdUI 2009 (aren't you) to
see some of the biggest names in web design and development. But what
about your friends and colleagues?

Well, now they can help you win a Dell Latitude 2100 Netbook when you
refer them to us! When they register, tell them to enter your name as
how they heard about the conference. We'll have a drawing during the
conference and announce the winner. Every registration you refer to
EdUI will increase your chances of winning.

See http://tinyurl.com/mr6koq to find out more (including a few
important restrictions).

=== SO YOU'RE REGISTERED. GOT EVERYTHING ELSE LINED UP? ===

-- Buffet Lunch --
Don't forget about our "Birds of a Feather" networking lunch. For just
$16 you get a buffet lunch and a great opportunity to network with
your peers. Sign up now at http://edui.eventbrite.com/ .

-- Hotel Rooms --
Coming from out of town?  We have a block of rooms available for a
special rate. Learn more at http://www.eduiconf.org/venue-and-travel/
.

------

EdUI is made possible by The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
http://www.VirginiaFoundation.org , in partnership with the University
of Virginia http://www.Virginia.edu and an array of corporate
sponsors.

------
Best wishes,
EdUI Conference Organizers