Subject: [CODE4LIB] EdUI Conference speaker highlights. Regist. discount ends tomorrow.

From: John Loy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:07:18 -0400

There are so many great speakers to hear at the EdUI Conference Sept.
21-22 in Charlottesville VA. You can find our full program at
http://eduiconf.org/program , but we thought we'd take this
opportunity to highlight two, Molly Holzschlag and Michael Wesch. Read
on to learn more about these remarkable individuals you'll find at
EdUI.

If this is the first you've heard of EdUI, learn all about it at
http://eduiconf.org . In short, EdUI (the name is a marriage of "Edu"
and "UI") is a conference for web professionals, particularly those in
higher ed, that offers full-day workshops and peer presentations on
user experience and user interface issues like usability,
accessibility, design, coding, rich media, and social media.

We know training and travel budgets are tight right now, but we
guarantee this is one of the best values you'll find for professional
development! Other events featuring similar speaker line-ups often
cost $1000+ and require travel to expensive cities. EdUI is held in
beautiful, historic, and affordable Charlottesville VA, home of Thomas
Jefferson and a popular tourist destination http://tinyurl.com/lfmpn3
.

=== REGISTER NOW (DISCOUNT UNTIL AUG. 7) ===

If EdUI sounds right for you, register now at
http://edui.eventbrite.com .  We're offering a $75 registration
discount until midnight August 7 when you use the promotion code
"early_bird" (without the quotes). So be sure to register before then!

=== MOLLY HOLZSCHLAG ===

Presents "New Insights in Web Standards" about HTML5 and CSS3
http://www.eduiconf.org/session/web-standards-holzschlag/

Molly Holzschlag is a well-known Web standards advocate, instructor,
and author. She is the former Group Lead for the Web Standards Project
(WaSP) and an invited expert to the HTML and CSS working groups at the
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

Via each of these roles, Molly works to educate designers and
developers on using Web technologies in practical ways to create
highly sustainable, maintainable, accessible, interactive and
beautiful Web sites for the global community.

Among her thirty-plus books is the The Zen of CSS Design, co-authored
with Dave Shea. The book artfully showcases the most progressive
csszengarden.com designs. A popular and colorful individual, Molly has
a particular passion for people, blogs, and the use of technology for
social progress.

Join Molly for an all day, six hour session, New Insights in Web
Standards, where she'll discuss how HTML5 and CSS3 will help us
integrate modern, multimodal techniques in the web-based content we
develop and design.

=== MICHAEL WESCH ===

Presents "Mediated Culture" about Social Media
http://www.eduiconf.org/session/mediated-culture-wesch/

Dubbed "the explainer" by Wired magazine, Michael Wesch is a cultural
anthropologist exploring the impact of new media on society and
culture. After two years studying the impact of writing on a remote
indigenous culture in the rain forest of Papua New Guinea, he has
turned his attention to the effects of social media and digital
technology on global society.

His videos on culture, technology, education, and information have
been viewed by millions, translated in over 15 languages, and are
frequently featured at international film festivals and major academic
conferences worldwide.

Wesch has won several major awards for his work, including a Wired
Magazine Rave Award, the John Culkin Award for Outstanding Praxis in
Media Ecology, and he was recently named an Emerging Explorer by
National Geographic.

He has also won several teaching awards, including the 2008
CASE/Carnegie U.S. Professor of the Year for Doctoral and Research
Universities.

Some of Michael's most circulated YouTube Videos include:
The Machine is Using Us - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLlGopyXT_g
A Vision of Students Today - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o

Using examples from anthropological fieldwork in Papua New Guinea,
YouTube, university classrooms, and "the future", Michael's plenary
presentation, Mediated Culture, will demonstrate the profound yet
often unnoticed ways in which media “mediate” our culture.

------

EdUI is made possible by The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
<http://www.VirginiaFoundation.org>, in partnership with the
University of Virginia <http://www.Virginia.edu> and an array of
corporate sponsors.

-----
Best wishes,
EdUI Conference Organizers