Subject: [CODE4LIB] adding FastVectorHighlighter to solr

From: Bess Sadler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:08:16 -0400

One of the feature requests we get pretty often with Blacklight is  
search term highlighting. The main reason we don't have it yet is  
because it's a performance drag. We have attempted to add it a couple  
of times, but it kills performance so much for large collections or  
large text fields that we had to remove it again.

I just had an interesting chat with Erik Hatcher, and he pointed me at  
this: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/a4deefd915f706d4/highlighting_performance

It seems Lucene 2.9 has a faster highlighting solution available now,  
FastVectorHighlighter. However, it hasn't yet worked its way into  
solr. If you are one of the people who would like to see search term  
highlighting (or, maybe just faster search term highlighting) in  
blacklight, vufind, Fac-Back-OPAC, helios, or any of the many other  
library apps that use solr, you might want to go vote for the jira  
issue at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1268

You'll need to register for a jira account at the apache software  
foundation, but it only takes a minute.

Cheers,
Bess

Elizabeth (Bess) Sadler
Chief Architect for the Online Library Environment
Box 400129
Alderman Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904

[email-masked]
(434) 243-2305

---

From: Gabriel Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:22:35 -0400

Voted.  Thanks for the heads up, Bess!

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 10:08:16AM -0400, Bess Sadler wrote:
> because it's a performance drag. We have attempted to add it a
> couple of times, but it kills performance so much for large
> collections or large text fields that we had to remove it again.
> 
> I just had an interesting chat with Erik Hatcher, and he pointed me
> at this: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/a4deefd915f706d4/highlighting_performance
> 
> It seems Lucene 2.9 has a faster highlighting solution available
> now, FastVectorHighlighter. However, it hasn't yet worked its way
> into solr. If you are one of the people who would like to see search
> term highlighting (or, maybe just faster search term highlighting)
> in blacklight, vufind, Fac-Back-OPAC, helios, or any of the many
> other library apps that use solr, you might want to go vote for the
> jira issue at:
>