Subject: [CODE4LIB] Seeking Software Lead for Digital Antiquity, A National Digital Repository for Archaeology

From: Matt Cordial <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:49:14 -0700

Digital Antiquity seeks a software engineer to lead the technical
development of a national digital repository for archaeological
documents and data. This well-funded cyberinfrastructure initiative has
the potential to be transformative for the discipline of archaeology and
provides an excellent career opportunity in informatics at a major
research university.

Digital Antiquity is a national initiative that has been generously
funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. The repository's conceptual
design - focusing on preservation and access, with user-initiated ingest
of data, documents, and associated metadata - has been developed through
planning grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the
Mellon Foundation. Key components have been prototyped with substantial
funding from NSF. Digital Antiquity's software lead will guide the
transition from the prototype to the trusted repository implementation
recently funded by the Mellon Foundation.

The software lead will be responsible for managing both the software
development and user support staff. We seek an individual committed to
the success of the project who has the expertise in informatics and
experience in project management to lead the technical development of a
state-of-the-art and sustainable digital repository. We also seek
someone with the communications skills to work effectively with domain
experts in archaeology to ensure that the repository is highly
responsive to user needs. The individual will also assist the Executive
Director in the coordination of Digital Antiquity's efforts with
independently funded, affiliated projects that build on or enhance the
repository's capabilities.

The position minimally requires a Masters degree in informatics,
information science, computer science or a closely related field. It
also requires demonstrated software development expertise with an
emphasis on data management, web application development, and
object-oriented programming. In consultation with the Executive
Director, the software lead will hire one or more additional software
engineers to build a team that has the collective expertise to
effectively implement the conceptual model for the repository.
Experience in science informatics, digital repository development, and
the management of moderate scale software development to support
workflow and systems integration efforts are all highly desirable.
Candidates should be familiar with principles guiding design and
implementation of trusted data repositories and have an appreciation for
the design of sustainable technical infrastructures. The prototype
currently utilizes an open-source JEE software stack (Spring, Hibernate,
Struts 2) and the Fedora digital repository platform; direct experience
with these technologies is also desirable.

This multi-institutional effort is based at Arizona State University in
Tempe, Arizona. The software lead would hold the title of Research
Professional (an Academic Professional position) at ASU and would report
to Digital Antiquity's Executive Director. This is a 12 month,
renewable, grant-funded appointment with excellent benefits. Salary will
be $75,000 per year, negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and
experience. The position requires relocation to the Phoenix area of
central Arizona.

Review of applications will begin on November 16, 2009 and continue
until the search is closed. Interested individuals should submit, in
electronic form, a letter of application, a resumé or curriculum vitae,
and names and email contact information for three references to
Executive Director, Digital Antiquity, SHESC, Arizona State University,
Tempe, Arizona ([email-masked]). For more information please
see Digital Antiquity.

A background check is required for employment. ASU is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through
diversity.

-- 
Matt Cordial
Digital Library Software Engineer
Arizona State University Library
480-965-9094