Subject: [CODE4LIB] Dublin Core to tab delimited text

From: Edward Iglesias <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:05:01 -0400

Hello there.  Does anyone have an xslt stylesheet or know of a tool
that can transform dublin core xml into tab delimited text?

Thanks,

Edward Iglesias

---

From: Ethan Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:09:39 -0400

Hi Edward,

The probability of transforming Dublin Core or any other XML standard into
tab delimited text is dependent upon how "database-like" the source XML is.
If your Dublin Core files have a lot of hierarchical/nested content, you're
going to have some problems migrating it into a simple tab delimited text
file.  Are you attempting to migrate Dublin Core into a database or
something?

Ethan Gruber
University of Virginia Library

---

From: Edward Iglesias <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:13:56 -0400

Trying to move from eprints to ContentDM.  I was able to export the
metadata easily enough but now have a file that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<eprintsdata xmlns="http://eprints.org/ep2/data">
  <record>
    <field name="eprintid">1</field>
    <field name="userid">1</field>
    <field name="dir">disk0/00/00/00/01</field>
    <field name="datestamp">2003-02-07</field>
    <field name="type">thesis</field>
    <field name="succeeds"></field>
    <field name="commentary"></field>
    <field name="replacedby"></field>
    <field name="abstract">Alcohol affects individuals physically,
mentally, and emotionally. Little work has been done to investigate a
possible link between alcoholism and anger.&#xD;
     The purpose of this research study was an attempt to determine if
alcohol dependence had an effect on the amount of anger an individual
reported and&#xD;
     the ways an individual expresses his or her anger. The researched
was gathered from 20 alcohol dependent individuals at Alliance
Treatment Center&#xD;
     (ATC). Anger was measured in alcohol dependent individuals using
one survey containing two separate instruments; (a) The State-Trait
Anger&#xD;
     Expression Inventory-2 (STAXI-2), and (b) the Anger Disorder
Scale. All participants completed the anger survey upon admission
(pre-detoxification)&#xD;
     and again, 4-6 days later, upon discharge (post-detoxification).
This research study examined subscales, comparing pre-detoxification
to&#xD;
     post-detoxification anger scores for each participant. The mean
scores were compared among 20 participants, both male and female. Data
collected&#xD;
     from ATC revealed only one significant finding; this was found in
a subscale of the STAXI-2 measure. This provides information to
conclude alcohol&#xD;
     dependence may have an effect on how individuals control their
expression of angry feelings. There were no significant differences
detected on any of&#xD;
     the other STAXI-2 scales. This means that there was little to no
difference in how an individual perceives the intensity of current
feelings, and the&#xD;
     perceived verbal and physical expression of anger, following
detoxification. The ADS was the second measure used in this research
study. In&#xD;
     comparing the pre to post detoxification scores, this measure
provided no significant findings. Therefore, there were little to no
differences in how&#xD;
     participants viewed their problems with or without the influence
of alcohol. This study was breaking new ground, a repetition of this
study, with minor&#xD;
     modifications, could provide valuable results for those studying
alcohol dependence and anger. </field>
    <field name="altloc">http://wilson.ccsu.edu/theses/etd-2002-4/etd-2002-4.html</field>
    <field name="altloc">http://wilson.ccsu.edu/theses/etd-2002-4/etd-2002-4.pdf</field>
    <field name="authors" id=""><part name="given">Sarah
J.</part><part name="family">Colella</part></field>
    <field name="chapter"></field>
    <field name="commref"></field>
    <field name="confdates"></field>
    <field name="conference"></field>
    <field name="confloc"></field>
    <field name="department">Department of Criminology and Criminal
Justice</field>
    <field name="institution">Central Connecticut State University</field>
    <field name="ispublished">unpub</field>
    <field name="keywords">CCSU Thesis</field>
    <field name="month">jul</field>
    <field name="note">The author grants to Central Connecticut State
University or its agents the right to archive and display their thesis
or dissertation in whole or in part in&#xD;
     the University Libraries in all forms of media, now or hereafter
known. The author retains all proprietary rights, such as patent
rights. The author also&#xD;
     retains the right to use in future works (such as articles or
books) all or part of this thesis or dissertation. &#xD;
&#xD;
     Use or inclusion of any portion of this ETD in a work intended
for commercial use will require clearance by the copyright owner.
</field>
    <field name="number"></field>
    <field name="pages"></field>
    <field name="pubdom">FALSE</field>
    <field name="publication"></field>
    <field name="publisher"></field>
    <field name="refereed">FALSE</field>
    <field name="referencetext"></field>
    <field name="reportno"></field>
    <field name="series"></field>
    <field name="subjects">HM</field>
    <field name="subjects">HV</field>
    <field name="subjects">HN</field>
    <field name="subjects">HQ</field>
    <field name="thesistype">Masters Thesis</field>
    <field name="title">The Relationship Between Alcoholism and Anger</field>
    <field name="volume"></field>
    <field name="year">2002</field>
    <field name="suggestions"></field>
  </record>

Edward Iglesias

---

From: Ethan Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:21:18 -0400

Hi Edward,

That should be easy enough.  The XML is more or less flat.  A simple XSLT
stylesheet should suffice in this case.  A tricky part might be with
repeatable elements.  You may have to concatenate repeatable elements like
<subjects> into a single string separated by a pipe '|' or something.  I'm
not familiar enough with ContentDM's import methods to know for certain.

Ethan

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Edward Iglesias
<[email-masked]>wrote:

>    <field name="altloc">
> http://wilson.ccsu.edu/theses/etd-2002-4/etd-2002-4.html</field>
>    <field name="altloc">
> http://wilson.ccsu.edu/theses/etd-2002-4/etd-2002-4.pdf</field>