Subject: [CODE4LIB] code4lib / elag2010

From: Nicolas Morin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:33:33 +0200

Hello,

A number of the code4lib community members are based in Europe : some
of us where at the code4lib conference in the US in February; some of
us where at the ELAG conference in Bratislava in Europe last April.
There has been some talks about a code4lib conference in Europe in the
past. At ELAG in April this idea came up again. But as Eric Lease
Morgan noted in this forum a while ago on this subject, it would not
be a good idea to duplicate efforts. ELAG itself is not as hands-on
and geeky as code4lib : Ross Singer, who was at ELAG this year, said
he found it more like Access. And while we don't want to duplicate
efforts, we feel there's a place for a more technically oriented
event.
So, after some discussion with the people from ELAG, here's what we
propose for 2010 : not a Code4lib Europe conference, but an addition
to the existing ELAG conference : a one-day, pre-conference seminar
for the code4lib community. Something hands-on, technical. Something
about Lucene/solr in it's many incarnations was suggested, but we're
very much open to other suggestions at this stage.

I want to make sure that the code4lib community finds it appropriate
that we use the code4lib "space" to setup something that's going to be
tied to another conference (ELAG). I don't think there's an issue
here, but I want to make sure no one feels the code4lib "brand" is
being inappropriately used.

I also want to make sure that those of you who are interested can
participate in the setting up of this pre-conference : I opened a
(more or less blank, at this stage) wiki page for this at
http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/Code4lib/elag2010

The code4lib community members who have expressed interest in setting
this up so far are : Jakob Voss, Etienne Posthumus, Peter VanBoheemen,
Till Kinstler and myself. If you're interested in this effort, feel
free to go edit the wiki page.

You can get more information about ELAG 2009 at http://indico.ulib.sk/elag2009
ELAG 2010 will be hosted by the Finnish national library in Helsinki,
in June 2010

Cheers,
Nicolas

-- 
Nicolas Morin
Mobile: +33(0)633 19 11 36
http://www.biblibre.com

---

From: "Frumkin, Jeremy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 08:51:25 -0700

Hi Nicolas - 

I think what you are planning to do is great, and I personally can't see any issues with what you've described. There is a code4lib NW event today in Oregon, and there have been a number of "regional" code4lib events put together by members of the community. 

To me, holding events like this are exactly what code4lib is all about.

-- jaf

==================================
Jeremy Frumkin
Assistant Dean / Chief Technology Strategist
University of Arizona Libraries

[email-masked]
+1 520.307.4548
==================================

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Nicolas Morin
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] code4lib / elag2010

Hello,

Cheers,
Nicolas

---

From: Roy Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:05:13 -0700

FWIW, I agree with Jeremy, and I just want to remind folks that the logo
assets are available from this page on the Code4Lib web site:

<http://code4lib.org/logo/>

For use in promoting your event, etc.
Roy

On 6/4/09 6/4/09 € 8:51 AM, "Frumkin, Jeremy"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Nicolas - 
> 
> I think what you are planning to do is great, and I personally can't see any
> issues with what you've described. There is a code4lib NW event today in
> Oregon, and there have been a number of "regional" code4lib events put
> together by members of the community.
> 

--

---

From: Peter Noerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:25:38 +0000

As a long time founder member of ELAG I think this is an excellent idea. In its early days (for maybe the first 10 years) ELAG was a very technical meeting (yes, you *can* be geeky about mainframe software - all we had back then), but it has moved from that over time for all the best of reasons. I can't speak about the meeting in Bratislava, as I wasn't there, but it has over the years become more edu-torial and less cutting edge. I think it would benefit from the addition of a whole day of decidedly technical content in addition to the review and descriptive papers and its own very strong workshop format.

Peter Noerr

> From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Frumkin, Jeremy
> Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 08:51
> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] code4lib / elag2010
> 
> Hi Nicolas -
> 
> I think what you are planning to do is great, and I personally can't see
> any issues with what you've described. There is a code4lib NW event today
> in Oregon, and there have been a number of "regional" code4lib events put

---

From: "Edward M. Corrado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:10:03 -0400

As someone that went to ELAG for the first time this year, I think this 
is a great idea. ELAG was an excellent conference and I think a one day 
code4lib pre-conference would supplement it nicely. Although I've only 
been to one Access and one ELAG, I think Ross is correct that it is more 
like Access (minus the hackfest) than any other North American 
library-related conference.

Edward

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:34:10 -0400

On Jun 4, 2009, at 11:33 AM, Nicolas Morin wrote:

> ...I want to make sure that the code4lib community finds it  
> appropriate
> being inappropriately used...

Because the Code4Lib community is pretty much egalitarian and there is  
no central authority, it is not really possible to get any "official"  
affirmation on what you would like to do. That being said, I would be  
surprised if very many people, or anybody for that matter, would mind  
if the Code4Lib "brand" were used in this way. In fact, I think most  
people would approve.  elag++  Just remember, remit all profits from  
the workshop to...  ;-)

-- 
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame