Subject: [CODE4LIB] job posting: interface programmer, University of Michigan

From: "Morse, Jeremy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 00:18:32 -0400

Please forward to anyone who may be interested in this position.  This
position is also listed in U-M jobs site ( http://www.umich.edu/~jobs/ )
under posting #30698.

###

Scholarly Publishing Office
University of Michigan University Library
Interface Programmer

The Scholarly Publishing Office (SPO) of the University of Michigan
University Library is seeking an Interface Programmer for a full-time
two-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal.

The SPO Interface Programmer works in a team environment for online
publishing of scholarly literature and is primarily responsible for
implementing interfaces for a broad variety of scholarly publications,
making contributions to interface design and usability testing, using
open standards and open-source software.  The Interface Programmer will
also contribute to the design and development of online publishing
tools, including content management systems.

Work will primarily focus on coding publication-specific interface
customizations for SPO's locally developed publishing platform, DLXS
(see http://www.dlxs.org). Other projects may include: system-wide
improvements to the DLXS interface; implementation of content management
system for digitalculturebooks (an online book series); interface
support for collaborative publishing projects with the University of
Michigan Press; interface specification for a database of 20
disciplinarily related journals; assessment and implementation of
strategies to increase the discoverability of SPO publications;
participation in a review of electronic publishing platforms.

DUTIES:
*       Implement interface customizations for DLXS publications, fulfilling
requests by the editors (40%)
*       Maintain and develop CMS-based publishing tools and services (35%)
*       Evaluate, recommend, and implement DLXS-wide interface improvements (15%)
*       Assist in research and evaluation of publishing software solutions (5%)
*       Document interface features for end users and other digital library
developers (5%)

QUALIFICATIONS:
REQUIRED: Bachelor's degree plus three years of relevant experience as a
programmer, plus one year of experience with Web or other interface
design. Thorough knowledge of XHTML, XML, CSS, and at least one
high-level programming language (Perl or PHP preferred), and experience
with UNIX-like OS. Excellent written and oral skills. Ability to work in
a team environment. Attention to detail.

DESIRED: Experience with XSLT. Experience in graphic design for
electronic media. Knowledge of and experience with digital libraries or
electronic publishing. Proficiency with content management system
development and design (particularly Drupal). Experience with relational
databases and SQL. Experience using online scholarly resources.
Experience with theory and practice of usability testing and information
architecture.  ALA-accredited masters degree in library or information
studies or equivalent advanced degree and experience.

ABOUT SPO:
The services of SPO are part of the Library's service to the University
of Michigan, and are developed in keeping with the Library's concern
about issues of intellectual property, long-term retention and archiving
of content, and its support of scholarship in all forms. SPO is
currently responsible for the online publication of a range of scholarly
literature, including significant text-based journal collections,
scholarly monographs, conference proceedings, scholarly bibliographies,
and image collections.

SPO is a highly collaborative work environment in which staff engage in
both the daily work of publishing and in broader discussions of
scholarly communication and the transformational potential of digital
communication technology. All staff are involved in direction-setting,
in articulating a vision of the library as scholarly publisher, and in
putting that vision into practice. We have an inclination toward open
source software and balanced, pragmatic approaches to problems. We work
to embrace emerging technology standards and best practices of the
digital library community.

Rank is anticipated at the level of Programmer Analyst Intermediate, or
Assistant or Associate Librarian. Positions receive 24 days of vacation
a year; 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended
benefits, as well as opportunities for travel and professional
development. Retirement: TIAA-CREF or Fidelity Investments

To apply, please send cover letter and copy of resume to:

Library Human Resources
404 Hatcher Library North
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1205

Contact [email-masked] or 734-764-2546 for further information