Subject: [CODE4LIB] Fwd: Job Opportunities at the Harvard Law Library: Digital Lab Manager and Web Developer

From: Jay Luker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 11:05:13 -0500

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rebecca Tabasky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM
Subject: Job Opportunities at the Harvard Law Library: Digital Lab
Manager and Web Developer
To: [email-masked]

Hi all,

The Harvard Law Library is in the midst of a reorganization, and in
the process they're developing a Digital Lab to serve as a hub for the
library's digital initiatives.  They're now looking to hire both a
manager and a web developer for the Digital Lab, and you can find
information about and links to the positions below.

The Berkman Center is not a part of the hiring process, so please be
submit application materials directly through the Harvard Human
Resources systems and be in touch with them directly if you have
questions.

More information about the library's reorganization is outlined by
John Palfrey, Vice Dean of Library and Information Resources at
Harvard Law and Berkman Center faculty co-director, at
http://etseq.law.harvard.edu/index.php/site/reorganizing_the_harvard_law_school_library/.

All best,
Becca

----

Digital Lab Manager - http://www.jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=42473

Duties And Responsibilities: The Harvard Law Library is seeking a
creative and experienced innovator to provide strategic and
operational leadership as the Manager of our Digital Lab. The Digital
Lab is the Library's focal point for a wide range of activities,
including developing internet tools to promote and enhance access to
legal information and coordinating the library's digitization efforts.
Reporting to the Associate Director for Collection Development and
Digitization, the Manager of the Digital Lab leads the design,
creation, and distribution of technological tools for delivering
content and services in support of learning and research at the
Harvard Law School and beyond; manages the Library's digitization
projects, including those produced onsite and those outsourced to the
University's Digital Imaging Group or other external entities;
develops and implements division policies, plans, goals, and
procedures; ensures appropriate staffing levels, staff skills, and
output. The Manager will supervise a current full time staff of five;
two Development Programmers, a Web Development Librarian, a Digital
Preservation Librarian, and a Digital Projects Assistant, as well as
project fellows.

Basic Qualifications: Master's degree or relevant specialized
technical training, required.

Additional Qualifications: A minimum of 5 years of relevant, in-depth
technical experience, preferably in an academic setting. Strong
administrative background with experience supervising/directly
managing complex projects, fiscal, operational issues and multiple
staff members. Solid understanding of the role and potential of
technology for the design and delivery of information resources and
services. Familiarity with extending digital resources into social
networks. Strong project management skills and experience, including
ability to plan assignments and monitor performance for collaborative
projects that cut across organizational boundaries, Excellent
organizational and communication (oral and written) skills.
Demonstrated analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with a
track record as a leader, manager, and strategist in a complex
organizational environment.

----

Digital Lab Web Developer -
http://www.jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=42559

Duties And Responsibilities: The Harvard Law Library is seeking an
energetic and creative web developer to join our newly created Digital
Lab team. The Digital Lab is the Library's focal point for a wide
range of activities including developing internet tools to promote and
enhance access to legal information. The Web Developer manages the
full life cycle of development projects. Reporting to the Manager of
the Digital Lab, the Web Developer will design, develop, test and
deploy new applications and extensions to existing applications;
research coding and infrastructure technologies in connection with
application design and implementation; identify integration
requirements between applications; review and modify systems programs
as needed to correct utility or application programs; install or
customize modules and features for open source and proprietary
software packages; develop and maintain documentation, participate in
third party tool and product evaluations as needed, and take on other
related duties as assigned. Works closely with librarian, unit
director and other programmers.

Basic Qualifications: B.A. or B.S. in an appropriate area of
specialization such as Computer Science or Informatics; at least 2
years of professional experience designing, implementing, testing and
documenting web and other application projects.

Additional Qualifications: Preferred: MCS (Master of Computer
Science), MIS (Master of Information Systems), MLIS (Master of Library
and Information Science) Expertise in several programming languages
including PHP, PERL, JavaScript; as well as combinations of languages
such as AJAX. Experience using relational databases, in the design of
database schemas, use of SQL, and installation and management of
databases, especially MYSQL; strong understanding of HTTP, XHTML,
LDAP, XML, and CSS; ability and comfort with working in a variety of
operating systems, technical architectures and programming languages.
Experience working within teams and using collaboration and management
tools; ability to work with non-technical clients; strong written and
verbal communication abilities; solid organizational skills including
time management and prioritization; commitment to customer service.
Background in object oriented programming language (C++, JAVA, etc.);
project management, web design and experience with library systems
experience, a plus.

****
To change your Berkman Center subscriptions, visit the following url:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/signup