Subject: [CODE4LIB] SVN/Mercurial hosting

From: Yitzchak Schaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:22:32 -0500

Hello all,

As I was considering whether to migrate our SVN repositories to 
Mercurial (or possibly Bazaar) so as to allow for distributed control 
(like if I'm on the train or otherwise off the grid), I got word from 
our IT higher-ups that they want us to stop hosting our code on our 
domain and server.

Before I start trekking around looking for hosting, does anyone in the 
crowd here have a server set up, and is potentially willing to host 
Trac+SVN or Trac+HG for our open-source projects?  We currently have two.

Alternately, I'd love to hear suggestions on regular hosting providers - 
particularly for Trac+Mercurial.

Many thanks,

-- 
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager
Touro College Libraries
33 West 23rd Street
New York, NY  10010
Tel (212) 463-0400 x5230
Fax (212) 627-3197
Email [email-masked]

Access Problems? Contact [email-masked]

---

From: "Mark A. Matienzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:39:54 -0500

Hi Yitzchak,

I've been pretty happy with using BitBucket [1] to host Mercurial
repositories. It doesn't have Trac, but it does have it's own decently
featured issue tracker, commit log viewer, and wiki system. The free
plan is generous enough for you to get started.

[1] http://bitbucket.org/

Mark A. Matienzo
Applications Developer, Strategic Planning
The New York Public Library

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Yitzchak Schaffer
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As I was considering whether to migrate our SVN repositories to Mercurial
> (or possibly Bazaar) so as to allow for distributed control (like if I'm on
> the train or otherwise off the grid), I got word from our IT higher-ups that
> they want us to stop hosting our code on our domain and server.
>
> Before I start trekking around looking for hosting, does anyone in the crowd
> here have a server set up, and is potentially willing to host Trac+SVN or
> Trac+HG for our open-source projects?  We currently have two.
>

---

From: Ross Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:50:07 -0500

Also, Google Code offers both HG and SVN support.

http://code.google.com/projecthosting/

I have several projects there (although haven't used Mercurial) and
certainly find it a lot less frustrating than admin'ing Trac.

-Ross.

---

From: Nate Vack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:21:44 -0600

> Trac+HG for our open-source projects?  We currently have two.

If you're not married to Mercurial or bzr for your distributed source
control, and would be willing to play git, github is positively lovely
and free for open-source projects.

http://github.com/

Cheers,
-Nate

---

From: Gabriel Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:05:54 -0500

I use Google Code with Mercurial.  It took a little while to adjust to
an issue-tracking system other than Trac, but I'm generally happy with
it.

Gabriel