Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Library Website Redesign Info and Project Plans

From: Jason Stirnaman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:36:35 -0500

I just came across this yesterday:
http://johncrenshaw.net/blog/web-development-project-process-workflow/
Very high-level and usual systems design approach, but with some good
web-specific tips thrown in.

>>> Sean Hannan <[email-masked]> 09/16/09 10:20 AM >>>
We're currently in the middle of a library website redesign as well.   
For the most part, we have framed our project using Jesse James  
Garrett's The Elements of User Experience
(https://wiki.library.jhu.edu/download/attachments/30737/elements.pdf 
).  It has been immensely helpful in plotting out our work from the  
User Experience touchy-feely end to the Information Architecture to  
the visual design and implementation.

-Sean

---
Sean Hannan
Web Developer
Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University

On Sep 16, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Rosalyn Metz wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm about to embark on a library website redesign.  I've started
> thinking about creating a project plan, but I honestly don't know
> where to start.
>
> I saw this website redesign presentation Lorcan Dempsey tweeted about:
> http://www.ucd.ie/library/guides/powerpoint/rpan_ppt2/index.swf  And
> started thinking, I wonder if anyone else has similar slides or
> project plans or advice.  I of course asked the Google but I didn't
> really find any project plans.  (If you're curious what I did find,
> take a look here:
> http://delicious.com/rosy1280/library+website-redesign)
>
> I do of course realize that every library is different, but I'm hoping
> that any information you all might be able to provide could help get
> the juices flowing.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> Rosalyn
>
> Rosalyn

---

From: "Walker, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:54:44 -0700

My wife really likes "Web Redesign: Workflow that Works", by Kelly Goto & Emily Cotler.  

The second edition is called Web Redesign 2.0.

  http://www.web-redesign.com/
  http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/57641137

--Dave

==================
David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University
http://xerxes.calstate.edu
________________________________________
From: Code for Libraries [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jason Stirnaman [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Library Website Redesign Info and Project Plans

-Sean

---
Sean Hannan
Web Developer
Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University

---

From: susan teague rector <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:32:25 -0400

I second David's book choice - I've done 3 redesigns at my library 
(we're on the 3rd right now) and i have referred to the process in this 
book countless times.
I typically follow an iterative approach to writing and executing my 
project plans; however, it's difficult to get away from traditional 
waterfall methodology and our plans sometimes fall back into that mold - 
I can send you a copy of a proj. plan if you're interested

Cheers,
Susan
VCU Libraries
http://www.library.vcu.edu | http://www.library.vcu.edu/redesign

---

From: Rosalyn Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:27:17 -0400

Susan and Beth,

I'd love to see a project plan and/or write up if you have one.  I'm
really curious how people handle the gathering information piece and
balance staff v. user perspectives.  And I'm sure as I begin actually
writing a plan I'll be curious about many of the other things people
did.

Rosalyn

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM, susan teague rector <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I second David's book choice - I've done 3 redesigns at my library (we're on
> the 3rd right now) and i have referred to the process in this book countless
> times.
> I typically follow an iterative approach to writing and executing my project
> plans; however, it's difficult to get away from traditional waterfall
> methodology and our plans sometimes fall back into that mold - I can send
> you a copy of a proj. plan if you're interested
>
> Cheers,
> Susan
> VCU Libraries

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:32:34 -0400

On Sep 17, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Rosalyn Metz wrote:

> ...staff v. user perspectives...

Boy, if staff versus user perspectives is not an issue, then I don't  
know what is!

-- 
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame

---

From: Susan Teague Rector <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:33:32 -0400

Great - will email you separately as I'm not sure I can send attachments 
to the listserv(?)

cheers,
susan

---

From: Susan Teague Rector <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:37:38 -0400

Oh, I forgot to mention (Eric's post just reminded me of this) that I've 
found user testing to be the best way to balance that staff v. user 
perspective issue. You probably already know this, but I thought I'd at 
least throw it out there. Even if you do "guerilla" user testing, at 
least you have some data to use when you meet with staff, who often have 
a different perspective on what should be on the homepage :D

- susan

---

From: "Max L. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:19:18 +0100

Hey, I'd like to recommend this assessment tool (here's a 3 pager  
about it):

http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/17585/1/jcdl09_lightweighteval_mwilson.pdf

It allows you to analyse re-designs from a series of different user  
perspectives. The paper is from a lightweight eval workshop at the  
digital libraries conference this year.

I'd be more than happy to talk to you more about it if you have any  
questions. I should say it's a little in progress still, so I'm here  
to help. Further, I'm keen to work on some case studies of people  
using it to see how they find it. So perhaps there can be a 2 way flow  
of benefit :)

all the best

Max Wilson

----------------------------------
n - max wilson
e - [email-masked]
w - www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csmax/
t - +44 (0) 1792 602611
----------------------------------

On 17 Sep 2009, at 14:37, Susan Teague Rector wrote:

> Oh, I forgot to mention (Eric's post just reminded me of this) that  
> I've found user testing to be the best way to balance that staff v.  
> user perspective issue. You probably already know this, but I  
> thought I'd at least throw it out there. Even if you do "guerilla"  
> user testing, at least you have some data to use when you meet with  
> staff, who often have a different perspective on what should be on  
> the homepage :D
>
> - susan
>
> Rosalyn Metz wrote:
>> Susan and Beth,
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM, susan teague rector <[email-masked] 
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> (we're on
>>>> My wife really likes "Web Redesign: Workflow that Works", by  
>>>> Kelly Goto &
>>>> Emily Cotler.
>>>> From: Code for Libraries [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of  
>>>> Jason
>>>> Stirnaman [[email-masked]]

---

From: Beth Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:57:36 -0400

I second Susan's point that user testing is the way to balance the staff v.
user perspective. We had tests(or methods of providing input, like surveys)
with BOTH groups, sometimes the same one but had people identify to which
group they belonged. This way we had data to back up our assertions that
library staff want different things from a library website than the other
user groups.

Beth

Beth Black 
Systems Librarian and Assistant Professor 
Head, Web Implementation Team 
Ohio State University Libraries 
610 Ackerman Rd, Room 5855 
Columbus, Ohio 43202-4500 
(614) 688-5428 
[email-masked] 

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Susan Teague Rector
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Library Website Redesign Info and Project Plans

- susan

>> I typically follow an iterative approach to writing and executing my
project
>>> My wife really likes "Web Redesign: Workflow that Works", by Kelly Goto
&

-- 
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
------------------------------------------------------

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 935350128) is spam:
Spam:        https://antispam.osu.edu/b.php?i=935350128&m=d1bb102b87ff&c=s
Not spam:    https://antispam.osu.edu/b.php?i=935350128&m=d1bb102b87ff&c=n
Forget vote: https://antispam.osu.edu/b.php?i=935350128&m=d1bb102b87ff&c=f
------------------------------------------------------
END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

---

From: Debra A Kurtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:33:13 -0400

we have similar issues at duke. for redesigns that i've led i remind them 
often that user-centered design means that we serve the patron (faculty, 
students, and staff beyond the libraries).  i point out that there are 
resources like intranet and aleph for staff to find work-related 
information and conduct more advanced catalog searches (can't search call 
numbers in our endeca interface).  staff are more supportive of this than 
they were when i got here three years ago but they still ask for things 
like more prominent links to the duke homepage and to the staff directory. 

one way to generate buy-in is to ask them for help writing questions, 
conducting testing, and analyzing feedback from assessment activities. 
admittedly, i tend to get the same four (wonderful) people but i remain 
hopeful about eventually engaging others.  :-)

we've also diffused some dissatifisfaction with the u/i to our 
implementation of endeca a couple of summers ago by conducting focus 
groups for staff.  i find this a more efficient way to get staff feedback. 
 we found that most of the concerns were valid and because they were 
largely cosmetic we were able to make changes to the css to address those 
issues quickly.

finally (sorry i get chatty on fridays) we have recently upgraded our 
mobile usability testing hardware and created an on-site lab.  we have 
several activities planned for the fall and next spring having to do with 
our search interfaces.  we'll post notes on activitites and findings if 
anyone's interested.  i'd also be interested in sharing info with 
libraries who've already conducted studies on their faceted searching user 
interfaces and/or have explored implementing a single search feature.

have a great weekend-

debra

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Debra Hanken Kurtz
Head, Digital Projects Department
Perkins Library
919.660.5888
POB 90198
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0198
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Beth Black <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: Code for Libraries <[email-masked]>
09/18/09 08:57 AM
Please respond to
Code for Libraries <[email-masked]>

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
Re: [CODE4LIB] Library Website Redesign Info and Project Plans

I second Susan's point that user testing is the way to balance the staff 
v.
user perspective. We had tests(or methods of providing input, like 
surveys)
with BOTH groups, sometimes the same one but had people identify to which
group they belonged. This way we had data to back up our assertions that
library staff want different things from a library website than the other
user groups.

Beth

Beth Black 

-----Original Message-----

- susan

>> I second David's book choice - I've done 3 redesigns at my library 
(we're
on
project
&

---

From: Susan Teague Rector <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:58:46 -0400

Hi Debra,
I'd be interested in the mobile lab results - I've been toying with that 
idea as well.
Would love to see what results you get in terms of how users react to 
different search interfaces.
We've written a couple of papers/done presentations on on this very 
topic; we've been
especially been interested in how the tabbed approach to hiding our 
silos of information works for end users.
 From my research, end users are still having problems distinguishing 
between the catalog and articles tab.
Best,
Susan

Debra A Kurtz wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM, susan teague rector <[email-masked]>
>>     
> wrote:
>   
>>> the 3rd right now) and i have referred to the process in this book
>>>       
> countless
>   
>>> times.
>>> methodology and our plans sometimes fall back into that mold - I can 
>>>       
> send
>   
>>>> My wife really likes "Web Redesign: Workflow that Works", by Kelly 
>>>>         
> Goto
> &
>   
>>>> Emily Cotler.
>>>> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Library Website Redesign Info and Project 
>>>>         
> Plans
>   
>>>>> I saw this website redesign presentation Lorcan Dempsey tweeted 
>>>>>           
> about:
>   
>>>>> I do of course realize that every library is different, but I'm 
>>>>>           
> hoping
>

---

From: MJ Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:18:21 +0100

>   http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/57641137

I'm sure it's a fine book, but does it worry anyone else that
the book's website doesn't meet the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines 1.0?  In particular, the chapter selector only works
with javascript execution permission.

Then again, it looks like WorldCat also fails, so they're in
good company.

Regards,
-- 
MJ Ray, member of www.software.coop Experts in web and GNU/Linux
(TTLLP # in subject emails = copy to all workers unless asked.)
Turo Technology LLP, reg'd in England+Wales, number OC303457
Reg. Office: 36 Orchard Cl., Kewstoke, Somerset, GB-BS22 9XY