Subject: [CODE4LIB] JOB POSTING: Information Systems Librarian (Queen's University Library - Kingston, Ontario)

From: Wendy Huot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:34:10 -0400

Hi all,

Please bring this job posting to the attention of any individuals who 
may be interested...

QUEEN’S UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
Information Systems Librarian
Continuing-track Appointment
Available September 2009

Online job listing: http://library.queensu.ca/library/jobs/librarian

ABOUT THE LIBRARY:

Queen’s University is one of Canada’s leading universities, with an 
international reputation for scholarship, research, social purpose, 
spirit and diversity. Consistently highly ranked, Queen’s Library has 
five physical locations and a strong virtual library serving a community 
of over 21,000 students and 2,400 faculty and researchers in Applied 
Science, Arts & Science, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Law, 
Policy Studies, Theological Studies and Urban & Regional Planning. The 
Library’s team-based organization based on the goals of the learning 
organization encourages innovation and flexibility in meeting the needs 
of its user community. The Library is a member of the Association of 
Research Libraries (ARL) and the Canadian Association of Research 
Libraries (CARL).

The Library Systems unit provides information technology and web 
development leadership for the Library. This includes support for the 
Voyager integrated library system and related applications, the 
Library’s web presence and web applications, all Library databases, 
imaging and print servers, and more than 750 patron and staff computers 
and printers. Platforms currently in use at Queen’s Library for 
delivering services include Solaris, Windows and (to a small extent) 
Linux. All Systems staff (3 librarians and 9 technicians) work closely 
with other Library units and teams, as well as with Queen’s ITServices 
staff. The librarians collaborate with the Ontario Council of University 
Libraries (OCUL) Scholars Portal Operations Team which hosts electronic 
resources using Mark Logic, an interlibrary loan service using VDX, 
OpenURL linking using SFX and citation management using RefWorks.

ABOUT THE POSITION:

The Library is seeking applications for the position of Information 
Systems Librarian, a new position in the Systems unit.

The Information Systems Librarian furthers the development, delivery, 
assessment and support of information systems and data stores for which 
the Library is responsible. This position reports to the Head of Library 
Systems and works under the guidance of an Associate University 
Librarian in a team-based environment. Key elements of the position include:

** Responsibility for the administration, operation and ongoing 
assessment of the Library’s integrated library system and related 
interfaces and processes, and emerging data and metadata repositories.

** Facilitating the integration of Library information systems with 
other relevant learning, research and administrative systems at Queen’s 
and on the open web, working closely and collaboratively with Queen’s 
ITServices, consortial partners, vendors and open source developers on 
issues of access, authentication and data management.

** Providing support and technical expertise to Library staff and 
clients designing and maintaining database and networked applications, 
and advice for Systems staff as appropriate.

** Participating in the planning, administration and ongoing assessment 
of the Library’s suite of information management systems (e.g. link 
resolver, electronic resource management system, institutional 
repository, database management system, etc.).

** Consulting and collaborating with all staff across the Library 
system, promoting the vision of a team-based learning organization.

The Library continually adapts its services to its evolving environment, 
therefore change in the responsibilities of this position should be 
expected.

QUALIFICATIONS:

REQUIRED:
An ALA accredited MLIS or equivalent degree, completed or nearing 
completion. A keen interest in information and communications 
technologies and demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement and 
manage system installations and projects. Evidence of analytic skills to 
effectively manage data in relational database form. Proven technical 
abilities and demonstrated knowledge of current applications and utility 
tools for managing and transferring data between different systems. 
Working experience with both server and PC-based operating systems and 
software (Unix and Windows). Knowledge of database technologies and 
standards with working experience using products such as MS Access, 
MySQL and Oracle. Experience in application development with one or more 
programming languages (e.g. PHP, C, Java). Experience developing and 
administering web-based solutions using a variety of technologies (e.g. 
Perl, Java, JavaScript, CSS, HTML, XML/XSL). Familiarity with metadata 
standards and formats for library systems (e.g. MARC 21, Dublin Core, 
METS, MODS), authentication (e.g. LDAP, Shibboleth) and protocols for 
search and retrieval, messaging and networking (e.g. Z39.50, EDI, 
OpenURL, OAI, FTP). Supervisory skills and the ability to train, mentor 
and motivate staff in an environment that supports the goals of a 
learning organization. Strong communication, collaborative and 
interpersonal skills and a strong service orientation. Knowledge of 
current and emerging technology trends, and awareness of opportunities 
and challenges for library services and collections. Creativity, 
flexibility and initiative. Ability to work both independently and as a 
member of a team. Ability to shift responsibilities and priorities in a 
demanding and rapidly changing environment, and a willingness to take 
advantage of training and development opportunities.

PREFERRED:
Post-secondary education in computer science or related field. At least 
two years of relevant work experience. Experience trouble-shooting 
hardware, software or web technologies. Experience with the Voyager ILS. 
Familiarity with Linux server environment.

SALARY AND BENEFITS:

Librarians are members of the Faculty Association and terms and 
conditions of work are governed by the collective agreement between the 
Association and the University, which is posted at http://www.qufa.ca. 
Salary and rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. 
This is a continuing-track appointment.

The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. 
Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace 
and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal 
people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation 
or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; 
however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.

For a complete position guide: 
http://library.queensu.ca/library/jobs/librarian

To learn about Queen’s University: http://www.queensu.ca

Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis beginning July 3, 
2009, and will continue until the position is filled. The desired start 
date is September 1, 2009, but this is open to negotiation.

A letter of application outlining your suitability for this position, 
accompanied by curriculum vitae and the names of three referees, one of 
whom is a current or recent supervisor, should be sent to:

Martha Whitehead, Associate University Librarian
Queen’s University Library
101 Union Street
Kingston, Ontario K7L 5C4
FAX: (613) 533-6362

Email: [email-masked]

-- 
Wendy Huot
Web Development Librarian
Queen's University Library
Kingston, Ontario Canada K7L 5C4

Phone: (613) 533-6000 ext 75250
Email: [email-masked]