Subject: [CODE4LIB] APIs that an OPAC should provide ...

From: Matthias Einbrodt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:08:58 +0100

Hello,

I'm interested in your opinion regarding the question which (kind of)
APIs an OPAC should provide nowadays and in the near or maybe not so
near future!

Thanks in advance and best regards

Matthias Einbrodt

---

From: Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:19:24 -0500

I think the DLF Task Force answered this question admirably.

http://diglib.org/architectures/ilsdi/

Jonathan

---

From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:21:30 -0500

> APIs an OPAC should provide nowadays and in the near or maybe not so

"Should" is a strong word, but be that as it may, you might take a gander at
the things a DLF task force (ILS-DI Task Group) has been putting together in
this regard. [1] There are a number of suggestions there such as API's for:
search, scan, dissemination, get authority records, item look-up, etc. In
most cases the APIs are RESTful in nature and advocate existing protocols.

[1] http://www.diglib.org/architectures/ilsdi/

-- 
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department
Hesburgh Libraries, University of Notre Dame

(574) 631-8604

---

From: Ross Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:35:00 -0500

I am hardly impartial, but I think Jangle makes a worthy API.

http://jangle.org/

If you're attending the Code4lib conference next week, you can learn
all about it.

-Ross.

---

From: Matthias Einbrodt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:35:48 +0100

Eric and Jonathan, thank you very much for the lead!

Matthias

---

From: Andrew Nagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:38:22 -0500

OAI-PMH!

Andrew