Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting: EResources Content Manager (George Washington University, DC, USA)

From: Karim Boughida <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:41:09 -0400

Hi All,
We have an opening.
If you have questions let me know.
Karim Boughida
kboughida at gelman.gwu.edu 

http://www.gelman.gwu.edu/about/organization/jobs/staff/electronic-resources-content-manager

Electronic Resources Content Manager 

THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
THE GELMAN LIBRARY SYSTEM ANNOUNCES A SEARCH FOR AN
Electronic Resources Content Manager

Library Assignment:  Gelman Library System
Primary Location:  Gelman Library

The Gelman Library System seeks applications for the position of
Electronic Resources Content Manager.  The Gelman Library System is
looking for an enthusiastic, detail oriented and creative-thinking
individual to provide technical development and support for the
Library’s electronic content discovery and delivery systems. Gelman
Library uses SFX for openURL resolution, MetaLib for federated
searching, Serials Solutions 360 Resource Manager for electronic
resource management, 360 Counter for electronic resource usage tracking,
and  Medialab Solutions’ AquaBrowser discovery tool.

The Gelman Library System has responsibility for The George Washington
University’s collection of print and electronic resources, consisting
of more than two million books and serial publications.  It serves as a
vital and dynamic resource for University’s campus community. As a
member of the Association of Research Libraries, Gelman is among the
nation's top-tier academic libraries. By developing and managing
first-rate print and electronic collections, implementing
forward-looking digitization initiatives, and making major discovery
interface improvements, we are leading the way in addressing the
changing information needs of a world-class university. 

As one of the primary academic resources in the Nation’s capital, The
Gelman Library System serves an additional role that is unique among
university libraries. The State Department, the White House, and the
World Bank are among the institutions located within blocks of Gelman
Library. Numerous agencies and organizations rely on Gelman Library for
ready access to both historical and contemporary documents. 
Gelman Library System is a member of the Washington Research Library
Consortium (WRLC), a group of nine academic libraries in the greater
Washington DC area. Gelman Library takes a major role in steering the
activities of the consortium.

Responsibilities:

This position is responsible for the technical content management of
all library electronic resources, i.e., electronic books, journals, and
databases.  The Electronic Resources Content Manager will be the primary
contact for members of Collection Development and Content Management in
the support of and access to licensed, purchased, and open access
electronic resources.  He or she will be expected to liaise heavily with
Library Public Services, other users, stakeholders and the Library
Information Technology team.   

Specific duties include, but are not limited to, participating in the
planning, development, and management of a broad range of library
electronic services such as electronic journals, aggregator databases
and other electronic data; participating as a member of a team charged
with evaluating and developing user interfaces; maintaining remote
access server (EZproxy); managing access to individual electronic
serials subscriptions and periodical packages; overall management of the
Gelman Library System electronic resources management system (360
Resource Manager), assisting in the design and maintenance of the
library web presence; supervising one fulltime staff member, and
assisting/supervising other library personnel or student assistants. 
This position reports to the Director of Content Management.

Basic Qualifications:

1. Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited library
program, or a Master’s degree in a related information technology
field, such as Computer Science (CS), Management of Information Systems
(MIS), or Master of Information Management (MIM).

Two years of professional-level library experience beyond the
Master’s degree; 

OR

BS/BA degree in an information management related field plus three
years experience working with electronic resources in libraries such as
link resolver software, federated searching tools, electronic resource
management systems, digitization projects  

2. Demonstrated mastery (through job experience or advanced coursework)
of Information Technology concepts related to electronic resources and
digital content management

3. Coursework and/or experience working with XHTML, XML, XSLT, CSS and
metadata standards (MARCXXI, MODS, EAD, DC)

Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:

Evidence of experience with:

new alternatives for managing and accessing electronic resources
usage statistics for electronic resources
integrated library systems (Voyager preferred)
web editing tools like Dreamweaver, and XML tools like XMLSpy  or
oXygen XML Editor
UNIX/Linux and scripting/programming languages, preferably PHP, Perl
and JavaScript
SFX, MetaLib, AquaBrowser, 360 Resource Manager and 360 Counter

Knowledge of current trends in library management systems

Knowledge of web-based publishing

Familiarity with the mission of memory institutions (Libraries,
Archives, Museums) including business processes and policy issues
related to digital content 

Additional Selection Criteria:

Service orientation and the ability to work in a team environment
Demonstrated ability to anticipate customer needs
Demonstrated skills in critical thinking and decision-making
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Strong problem solving and organizational skills 
Flexibility and eagerness to work in a changing environment
Willingness to represent the Library in national, regional and campus
organizations and initiatives

Salary and Rank:  Commensurate with education and experience.

Review Date: Review of applications will begin on October 23, 2009 and
will continue until the position is filled.

Application Procedure:

Only complete applications will be considered.  Please send a letter
containing a brief statement of interest and an assessment of skills
related to the basic qualification, a curriculum vita, and complete
contact information for at least 3 references to:

Emma Mosby
Director, Gelman Library System Administrative Services
The Gelman Library, Room 201
The George Washington University
2130 H Street, NW, Room 201
Washington, DC 20052
[email-masked] 

The University and department have a strong commitment to achieving
diversity among librarians and staff. We are particularly interested in
receiving applications from members of underrepresented groups and
strongly encourage women and persons of color to apply for this
position.

The George Washington University is an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer.