Subject: [CODE4LIB] R?

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 18:23:44 -0400

Are any of you using R?

 	http://www.r-project.org/

 	Blog about R, info viz, etc.:
 	http://blog.revolution-computing.com/

I have something in mind I'm going to try fooling around with in R, but I 
wondered if anyone was using it for visualizing searches, usage, networks 
of information, that kind of thing.

Bill
-- 
William Denton, Toronto : miskatonic.org www.frbr.org openfrbr.org

---

From: "Cloutman, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:07:35 -0700

Ironically, the first, and only other time, I heard of R was in a job
description for the Democratic National Committee. 

I wonder if the Republicans will need D programmers.

---
David Cloutman <[email-masked]>
Electronic Services Librarian
Marin County Free Library 

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
William Denton
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] R?

Are any of you using R?

I have something in mind I'm going to try fooling around with in R, but
I 
wondered if anyone was using it for visualizing searches, usage,
networks 
of information, that kind of thing.

Bill

Email Disclaimer: http://www.co.marin.ca.us/nav/misc/EmailDisclaimer.cfm

---

From: John Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 20:40:07 -0400

I'm not using R personally here but I've gotten a number of requests for it
to be installed on library computers, so I think it's getting pretty
popular.

jf

-- 
http://libgrunt.blogspot.com -- library culture and technology.

---

From: Rich Ackerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:59:51 -0400

My son uses it at Biogen Idec doing statistical genetics programming. He
gave me a demo last weekend. It reminded me of my first programming
language, APL :) He loaded data and created very nice visualizations in
about five lines of code. Let us know how it works for you!

Rich Ackerman
Director, Electronic Resources and Web Services
Alvin Sherman Library
Nova Southeastern University
3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
[email-masked]
954-262-4536 

> Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 6:24 PM

---

From: Glen Newton - NRC/CNRC CISTI/ICIST Research <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:59:23 -0400

>>>>> "William" == William Denton <[email-masked]> writes:
    William> Are any of you using R?  http://www.r-project.org/

I use R for a number of things, including the multidimensional
scaling (512-->2) I do here:
 http://zzzoot.blogspot.com/2009/07/project-torngat-building-large-scale.html 

It is fast, backed by the stats braniacs, has a huge number of
domain-specific modules (biology, genomics, geology, engineering,
....).

It is great. Slices bread, juliennes fries, casts my votes, does my
taxes, feeds my dogs and submits my postings to code4lib.  ;-)

-glen

>>>>> "William" == William Denton <[email-masked]> writes:

    William> Are any of you using R?  http://www.r-project.org/

    William>  	Blog about R, info viz, etc.:
    William> http://blog.revolution-computing.com/

    William> I have something in mind I'm going to try fooling around
    William> with in R, but I wondered if anyone was using it for
    William> visualizing searches, usage, networks of information,
    William> that kind of thing.

    William> Bill -- William Denton, Toronto : miskatonic.org
    William> www.frbr.org openfrbr.org

-- 

Glen Newton | [email-masked]
Researcher, Information Science, CISTI Research
& NRC W3C Advisory Committee Representative
http://tinyurl.com/yvchmu
tel/tél: 613-990-9163 | facsimile/télécopieur 613-952-8246
Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI)
National Research Council Canada (NRC)| M-55, 1200 Montreal Road
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/
Institut canadien de l'information scientifique et technique (ICIST) 
Conseil national de recherches Canada | M-55, 1200 chemin Montréal
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0R6  
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada   
--

---

From: Cindy Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:01:59 -0400

I took some online courses in data mining last year at statistics.com, some
of which featured R.  I was pleased with it, although I haven't tried to
integrate it in any programming project, and I only scratched the surface.
I also would highly recommend the courses at statistics.com.  Now if I could
just work out the data collection to make use of the data mining techniques
on our library data.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Glen Newton - NRC/CNRC CISTI/ICIST Research
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> tel/tél <http://tinyurl.com/yvchmu%0Atel/t%C3%A9l>: 613-990-9163 |
> facsimile/télécopieur 613-952-8246

-- 
Cindy Harper, Systems Librarian
Colgate University Libraries
[email-masked]
315-228-7363

---

From: Grace Agnew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:11:46 -0400

At Rutgers, we use R for computing basic statistics (frequencies and 
cross-tabs) on our Eagleton Poll website: 
http://www.scc.rutgers.edu/eagleton/.  Eagleton Polls have been 
conducted for many years in New Jersey and solicit opinions on 
sociopolitical issues with a heavy New Jersey focus. .  So, for example, 
someone can see how a governor's popularity breaks down by gender or 
geography or how attitudes about illegal immigration vary by county.  We 
used to use SPSS server which was fairly expensive so the switch to R  
has worked well and saved money also.   If anyone would like more 
information, you can contact the Rutgers Digital Library Archtiect, Ron 
Jantz ([email-masked]) or the programmer who implemented R 
statistics, Jie Geng ([email-masked])

Grace Agnew

-- 

Grace Agnew

Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems

Rutgers University Libraries

47 Davidson Road

Piscataway, NJ 08854

Phone: 732-445-5908

Fax: 732-445-5888

---

From: Harvey Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:55:32 -0500

Rich Ackerman wrote:  
> William Denton wrote:
> > Are any of you using R?	(http://www.r-project.org/) 
> 
> My son uses it at Biogen Idec doing statistical genetics programming.
> He gave me a demo last weekend. It reminded me of my first programming
> language, APL :) He loaded data and created very nice visualizations
> in about five lines of code. Let us know how it works for you! 

You might also look into J.  Statistics is only one of its 
applications (I've used it for music, stock market analysis, and 
library statistical data; others use it for numerical analysis, 
actuarial uses, number theory, graphics, image processing, modeling 
and simulation, puzzle solving, time series, and many other fields of 
interest in both the arts and sciences).  J is a general (functional) 
programming language for array data, and I think it's far more 
powerful than R.  (However, that power comes at the price of a rather 
steep learning curve.)

Regarding the APL comment above: J is the advanced sibling/successor 
to APL <http://www.jsoftware.com/>.  Like APL in the 1960's, it was 
invented by Ken Iverson 20 years ago; the most visible difference is 
that it uses standard ASCII characters instead of the special APL 
characters.  The related array languages K and Q (developed by Arthur 
Whitney, a friend of Iverson) <http://kx.com/> are used by a number 
of major Wall Street firms to handle and analyze the billions of 
pieces of data generated daily.

Harvey

---

From: Harrison Dekker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 00:07:11 -0700

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:23 PM, William Denton <[email-masked]> wrote:

> wondered if anyone was using it for visualizing searches, usage, networks of
> information, that kind of thing.
>

Check out the NSF funded Bibliographic Knowledge Network project (
http://www.bibkn.org). Details are sparse now, but I suspect we'll be
hearing a lot more about this in the near future. I expect R will be put to
good use given what I know about the PI's and their other
projects/interests.

Harrison

-- 
Harrison Dekker -- Head of Library Data Lab -- UC Berkeley Libraries
Phone: 510-250-7901 :: Skype: ucbdekker :: Google Voice: 510-621-3282
IM: GTalk:vagrantscholar :: AIM:hdekker :: Yahoo!:hgdekker ::
Meebo:ucbdekker
Web: http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/wikis/datalab/
———————————————————————-
Q: Why is this email 5 sentences or less?
A: http://five.sentenc.es