Subject: [CODE4LIB] deadline for preconference proposals

From: "Kevin S. Clarke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:52:21 -0500

Someone asked a good question about deadlines for preconference
proposals.  I didn't set one because I don't expect we'll reach the
max number of spaces.  We will have to have all the proposals a week
or so before registration though.  If we start pushing up against the
amount of space that we have, I'll call for any last proposals (so
that if we need to vote we can... I'm not expecting us to get that
many though).

Kevin

---

From: Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:06:31 -0500

As a practical matter, I need to get my travel approvals and make my 
travel plans quite in advance. I can only get approval for a pre-conf I 
know about, so if a pre-conf comes too late, it won't be something I can 
possibly attend.

I expect I am not alone here.

I would suggest that you should plan to have the pre-confs _set_ (not 
just proposals received) by the time registration opens. Realistically I 
usually register first, and _then_ get my approval to go, figuring if I 
don't get approval I can always give up my spot.

Perhaps this is what you were already planning? As long as the pre-confs 
are actually determined by registration open, I think it's reasonable.  
Ideally they'd be determined in advance of registration though.

Jonathan

---

From: "Kevin S. Clarke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:58:18 -0500

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Jonathan Rochkind <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would suggest that you should plan to have the pre-confs _set_ (not just
> proposals received) by the time registration opens. Realistically I usually
> register first, and _then_ get my approval to go, figuring if I don't get
> approval I can always give up my spot.
>
> Perhaps this is what you were already planning?

Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear.  The preconferences would be set by
registration time (also because you'd have to sign up for them at that
point).

Kevin