Subject: [CODE4LIB] [Fwd: Vocabulary Mapping Framework]

From: Corey A Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:56:42 -0400

code4libbers,

Interesting stuff afoot.  The press release linked below is well worth a 
read.  Apologies if you've already seen this

Cheers,
-Corey

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Vocabulary Mapping Framework
Date: 	Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:26:15 +0200
From: 	Frodl, Christine
Reply-To: 	DCMI Libraries Community <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

Dear list members,

I want to draw your attention on this information, sent out by Norman
Paskin today:

List members may be interested to know of the Vocabulary Mapping Framework.
The press release is available at
<_http://www.doi.org/news/VMF_project_announcement_090615.pdf_>.

Summary: A new initiative, the Vocabulary Mapping Framework (VMF), has
been announced by a consortium of partners. This will create an
extensive and authoritative mapping of vocabularies from nine major
content metadata standards, creating a downloadable tool to support
interoperability across communities. The mapping will also be extensible
to other standards. The work builds on the principles of
interoperability established in the indecs Content Model, and is an
expansion of the existing RDA/ONIX Framework into a comprehensive
vocabulary of resource relators and categories, which will be a superset
of those used in major standards from the publisher/producer, education
and bibliographic/heritage communities.

The International DOI Foundation, which fully endorses this work, will
provide a web hosting facility for the Framework as part of its
commitment to promoting the wider use of interoperable metadata, and
will use the vocabulary mapping wherever possible to support the
association of metadata with DOI names.

The IDF is organising an event in conjunction with the iPres2009 Digital
Preservation meeting (San Francisco, October) which will consider this
and wider issues:

<_http://www.doi.org/doi_presentations/members_meeting_2009/index.html_>.

Please pass on information or these links.

Dr. Norman Paskin
5, Linkside Avenue
Oxford
OX2 8HY
UK

Tel: (+44) 1865 559070
Mobile: (+44) 7710 327569
skype: npaskin
_www.tertius.ltd.uk_ <file://www.tertius.ltd.uk>
_www.linkedin.com/in/normanpaskin_
<file://www.linkedin.com/in/normanpaskin>

-- 
Christine Frodl
German National Library
Office for Library Standards
Adickesallee 1
D-60322 Frankfurt am Main
Telefon: +49-69-1525-1404
Telefax: +49-69-1525-1010
_mailto:[email-masked]
_http://www.d-nb.de_

-- 
Corey A Harper
Metadata Services Librarian
Bobst Library, B42-LL1
New York University
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY  10012
212.998.2479
[email-masked]