Subject: [CODE4LIB] Job Posting: DLPS Applications Programmer/Analyst (Michigan)

From: John Weise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:37:18 -0400

http://www.umich.edu/~jobs/
Job ID: 29580

Digital Library Production Service, University Library, University of  
Michigan

Job Title: App Programmer/Analyst Inter
Job/Career Family: Information Technology

Position:   Applications Programmer/Analyst Intermediate or  
Applications Programmer/Analyst Associate; (final classification  
dependent upon qualifications)

FLSA:  Exempt
Hours:  40 hours/week
NOTE:  This is a 3 year term appointment; possible renewal
NOTE:  This position has a target salary range of $45,000-$60,000  
annually, dependent on qualifications and experience of the selected  
candidate.
NOTE:  A review of applications will begin on April 1, 2009.

The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS) seeks a programmer/ 
analyst, for a term appointment of three years with the possibility of  
renewal. This position will develop and maintain software applications  
in support of the Copyright Review Management System.

The University of Michigan Library has received a grant from the  
Institute of Museum and Library Services to create the Copyright  
Review Management System (CRMS) to increase the reliability of  
copyright status determinations of books published in the United  
States from 1923 to 1963, and to help create a point of collaboration  
for other institutions. The system will aid in the process of making  
vast numbers of these books available online to the general public. http://www.imls.gov/news/2008/091008a_list.shtm 
  - MI

The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS), a part of the  
University of Michigan University Library, is one of the nation's  
premier organizations for the creation and support of digital library  
resources and infrastructure, with production level support for  
electronic library collections.  Comprised of more than 20 staff  
members, including librarians, programmers, and skilled technical  
staff, DLPS is funded primarily with a base budget for both staff and  
equipment, and relies on significant grant and revenue funding for a  
variety of new and incremental initiatives. Staff members within DLPS  
have responsibility for creating online access mechanisms, and for  
significant digital conversion activities. DLPS provides these  
services to the University of Michigan as well as to other  
institutions.  DLPS staff members play a significant role in the  
University of Michigan Library's work on the HathiTrust digital  
library and conversion related to the Google Books digitization  
effort.  Most conversion activities are conducted through a unit  
within DLPS, the Digital Conversion Unit (DCU).  In addition to work  
related to HathiTrust, one of the world's largest digitized book and  
journal collections, DLPS staff support several hundred thousand rich  
images in visual resource collections, large collections of finding  
aids, and contribute to the Library's development efforts with many  
other formats.  DLPS is also the primary development organization for  
DLXS ( http://www.dlxs.org ), a leading-edge initiative for the  
development of a digital library access system.

DLPS is a department within the Library Information Technology (LIT)  
division, one of the major divisions of the University Library.  LIT  
is focused on the development and maintenance of digital resources and  
provides principal technology management services and support for the  
University Library system. More information about LIT is online at http://www.lib.umich.edu/lit/ 
  .

Duties:

1)  Design, develop, implement, and maintain tools and applications in  
support of the Copyright Review Management System (CRMS).

2)  Maintain a basic Drupal instance used for internal project  
management.

3)  Write documentation, attend project meetings; participate in  
relevant conference and meeting presentations.

Job Requirements: 	Requirements:

- Bachelor's degree in computer science, or an equivalent combination  
of education and experience;
- Knowledge of and experience with Perl software development;
- Demonstrated experience with JavaScript and applying concepts of AJAX;
- Demonstrated experience with database technology such as MySQL;
- Demonstrated experience programming CGI applications for accessing  
databases via the WWW;
- Facility with UNIX;
- Ability to work independently and in consultation with a team of  
developers in a diverse work environment;
- Excellent verbal and written skills;

Desired:

- Demonstrated experience developing APIs such as RESTful web services.
- Demonstrated experience implementing web applications that follow  
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience with SGML/XML and related technologies and  
standards;
- Demonstrated experience deploying and maintaining sites with content  
management systems such as Drupal;
- Knowledge and use of version control systems in software development.