Subject: [CODE4LIB] David Walker Wins Third OCLC Research Software Contest

From: Roy Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:01:20 -0700

DUBLIN, Ohio, USA, 22 July 2009

David Walker Wins Third OCLC Research Software Contest

David Walker has won the Third OCLC Research Software Contest with Bridge, a
set of services to provide a configurable and customizable full record
display made up of WorldCat services.  These services provide the ability
for an individual library to customize the full record display of WorldCat
records to their particular situation.

The contest judges were impressed with how Mr. Walker was able to provide a
set of very useful methods to enhance WorldCat services from the perspective
of individual libraries. The software architecture, code, and documentation
also were impressive. As the contest winner, Mr. Walker will receive a check
for $2,500 and a visit with OCLC researchers and others in Dublin, Ohio
(USA).

David Walker is Library Web Services Manager at California State University.
More information about Bridge is linked below.

The Third OCLC Research Software Contest ran from mid-April through the end
of June.  Its goal was to encourage innovation in the use of OCLC web-based
services for libraries.

Entries were judged by a panel of expert practitioners and academicians from
OCLC and the library/information community:

Kevin Clarke 
Coordinator of Web Services
Belk Library and Information Commons
Appalachian State University

Thom Hickey 
Chief Scientist
OCLC 

Tod Matola 
Software Architect 
OCLC 

Ross Singer 
Interoperability and Open Standards Champion
Talis 
and winner of the Second OCLC Research Software Contest

Roy Tennant 
Senior Program Officer
OCLC Research 

More information:

David Walker's Bridge
http://library.calstate.edu/bridge/

Contest Overview 
http://www.oclc.org/research/researchworks/contest/

Contest judges
http://www.oclc.org/research/researchworks/contest/judges.htm

Contacts:

Roy Tennant
Senior Program Officer
OCLC Research
[email-masked]
+1-707-287-5580

Robert Bolander
Senior Communications Officer
OCLC Research
[email-masked]
+1-614-761-5207

---

From: Andrew Nagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:19:03 -0400

david_walker++

Just watched the video - great job David!