Subject: [NGC4LIB] It hurts....

From: Dan Matei <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:20:22 +0300

... (especially) when said by a Princeton professor.

<quote from="Peter Singer">
Today, if you have an Internet connection, you have at your fingertips an amount of information previously available only 
to those with access to the world’s greatest libraries – indeed, in most respects what is available through the Internet 
dwarfs those libraries, and it is incomparably easier to find what you need.
</quote>

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/singer61/English

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan Matei, director
Institutul de Memorie Culturală - CIMEC
Piata Presei Libere nr. 1, CP 33-90
013701 București [Bucharest], Romania, www.cimec.ro
tel. (+4)021 317 90 72; fax (+4)021 317 90 64
www.cimec.ro

---

From: Ed Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:47:12 -0700

Libraries have always been around.  It's hard to imagine a world without libraries.  In this sense, the same thing is preserving libraries--at least for now--that is undermining their timely reform: institutional inertia.
________________________________________
From: Next generation catalogs for libraries [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dan Matei [[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NGC4LIB] It hurts....

---

From: Naomi Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:08:04 -0400

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Dan Matei <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Today, if you have an Internet connection, you have at your fingertips an
> amount of information previously available only
> to those with access to the world’s greatest libraries – indeed, in most
> respects what is available through the Internet

My reasons are quite off-topic for this list, so I'll say no more about
Peter Singer than this: I have so little regard for him, not to say so great
a contempt, that being insulted by him, even obliquely, is a great honor.

NKY

-- 
Naomi Young [email-masked]

"My strength returns to me with my morning cup of coffee and reading of the
Psalms." -- Dorothy Day