Subject: [NGC4LIB] ALA annual program: Linked Library Data Un-Meeting

From: Corey A Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:07:09 -0400

** With apologies for cross-posting **

Linked Library Data Un-Meeting @ ALA Annual
Friday, June 25, 2010, 9am-12pm
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, Regency A room

This informal gathering, co-sponsored by LITA Next Generation Catalogs
IG and ALCTS CC:DA, will be focused on discovering possible upcoming
activities in the emerging Linked Library Data landscape. The goal is to
surface a handful of particularly challenging issues in modeling library
data for inclusion in the Linked Data ecosystem  that can become the
focus of future formal and informal activities.

The meeting will begin with brief introductory presentations by Karen
Coyle on the DC-RDA data modeling project, and Corey Harper on current
state and emerging needs for RDF descriptions personal and corporate
names, including use of FoaF vocabularies and OCLC's VIAF-linking work.

Following these presentations will be breakout sessions on topics
identified by the attendees. Come prepared to participate,
barcamp-style, in some intense brainstorming. Lead a discussion on a
topic of your choice.

If you are interested in giving a brief "lightening talk", time can be
made for additional short presentations before or after the discussions.
These can be signed up for in advance by contacting Corey Harper, or
proposed at the start of the meeting via a sign-up sheet.

Hopefully the meeting will also serve as a good follow-on for attendees
of Thursday's Linked Data Pre-Conference.

The organizers are working on a follow-up meeting to continue these
conversations at DC2010, which will be held in Pittsburgh, PA, October
20-22, 2010.

-- 
Corey A Harper
Metadata Services Librarian
New York University Libraries
20 Cooper Square, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10003-7112
212.998.2479
[email-masked]