Subject: [NGC4LIB] Looking for reading and resources on future of cataloging and integrated library systems

From: Abby Hanks-Danvers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:41:10 -0500

Good morning all,

This is my first post to the list, so I'm a bit out of my league, but I was
wondering if any of you can help.  I was just asked to research the future
of cataloging and integrated library systems by my Director of Technology
Systems.  Anyone have any suggestions on readings or resources related to
this topic?

Thanks in advance,

Abby Hanks-Danvers
IT and Technology Librarian
Private Industry
Cincinatti, Ohio

---

From: "Beacom, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:02:21 -0500

Abby, all,

One good starting point would be Karen Coyle's recent article "Understanding the Semantic Web: bibliographic data and metadata." It is about 30 p. and is the full content of _Library Technology Reports_ v. 46, issue 1, Jan. 2010. The first chapter (of two--a third part is just a references page) is available online at http://alatechsource.metapress.com/content/p3022442071g7655/fulltext.pdf

Karen is really clear and has a good understanding of cataloging past and present (none of know the future, right?) This article is not technical. It's a historical and conceptual piece, and that (and its brevity) is what makes it a good starting point. 

Matthew Beacom

-----Original Message-----
From: Next generation catalogs for libraries [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Abby Hanks-Danvers
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 10:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NGC4LIB] Looking for reading and resources on future of cataloging and integrated library systems

Good morning all,

Thanks in advance,

Abby Hanks-Danvers

---

From: "Diane I. Hillmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:14:06 -0500

Karen has a second report out as well: "RDA Vocabularies for a Twenty 
First Century Data Environment" 
(http://www.alatechsource.org/library-technology-reports/rda-vocabularies-for-a-twenty-first-century-data-environment).  
This one is issue 2 of Library Technology Reports, v. 46, and takes the 
ideas of the first report into the RDA sphere.

Both are well worth reading ...

Diane

---

From: Christine Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:49:29 -0500

Hi Abby,

I've been writing a blog for almost three years that focuses on the future
of cataloging and metadata called Cataloging Futures (
http://www.catalogingfutures.com). I mostly focus on cataloging and metadata
structures and standards, not integrated library systems. But you still may
find it helpful. I try to link to all the important papers and articles on
this topic.

Chris

Christine Schwartz
Metadata Librarian
Princeton Theological Seminary Library
[email-masked]

---

From: Laval Hunsucker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:00:54 -0800

Cincinatti, Ohio ? 

:-) 

( This is something only outsiders are supposed to do. )

 - Laval Hunsucker
   Breukelen, Nederland
  ( a proud former Cincinnatian )

________________________________
From: Abby Hanks-Danvers <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Fri, February 26, 2010 4:41:10 PM
Subject: [NGC4LIB] Looking for reading and resources on future of cataloging and integrated library systems

Good morning all,

Thanks in advance,

Abby Hanks-Danvers

---

From: Joe Orth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:09:19 -0500

You'd be surprised how often I see this, even here. Try searching 
Cincinatti in LC's catalog (over 150 hits) many of which I know for sure 
are incorrect as I've been sending them error reports.  It makes us look 
bad when we just pull DLC records that have this in them...   In OCLC, 
there are over 1600.  The fingers just seem to work that way.

Joe Orth
Circuit Systems Librarian                               513-564-7323 
(voice)
US Courts Library, Sixth Circuit        513-564-7329 (fax)
317 Potter Stewart U.S. Courthouse      [email-masked]
Cincinnati, Ohio  45202

From:
Laval Hunsucker <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked]
Date:
02/26/2010 04:02 PM
Subject:
Re: [NGC4LIB] Looking for reading and resources on future of cataloging 
and integrated library systems
Sent by:
Next generation catalogs for libraries <[email-masked]>

Cincinatti, Ohio ? 

:-) 

 - Laval Hunsucker
   Breukelen, Nederland
  ( a proud former Cincinnatian )
---------------------------------------

Abby Hanks-Danvers

---

From: Christine Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:39:48 -0500

Hi again, Abby,

I had another thought. Marshall Breeding is the real expert on where things
are at with integrated library systems. Check out his website:
http://www.librarytechnology.org/

<http://www.librarytechnology.org/>Good luck!

Chris

Christine Schwartz
Metadata Librarian