Subject: [NGC4LIB] Mobile Catalog Interfaces, ALCTS Catalog Form and Function Interest Group

From: "Guajardo, Richard R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:41:55 -0500

Catalog Form & Function Interest Group

Mobile Catalog Interfaces
ALA Annual Program, Washington, DC
Saturday 6/26/10  10:30 am-12:00 noon
HILTON WASHINGTON, Columbia 5

----

Design Strategies for a Freeform Mobile Catalog: Building From Scratch
Chad Haefele, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Abstract: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill launched a mobile
version of our library catalog in the summer of 2009.  Our local catalog has
been III/Millennium for many years, but in summer 2008 we added Endeca as a
discovery layer on top of the existing catalog.  Endeca provides new ways to
access our catalog data, including XML feeds, which make a homegrown mobile
interface possible.  Because the interface is homegrown we have very
granular control over how the data is displayed.  This presentation will
briefly outline the considerations we took into account when building the
interface, the technical means which made it possible, and informal user
feedback about the mobile catalog.

Shrinking the OPAC at Illinois: Opportunities for an Enhanced Mobile
Experience
Josh Bishoff, University of Illinois

Abstract: The University of Illinois Libraries launched a mobile catalog in
April 2010; currently the service includes a homegrown mobile interface to
our VuFind OPAC implementation. Our current interface allows patrons to
browse the local and CARLI consortium catalogs, to request books for
delivery, and to access account information for renewal & checking hold
status.  We will examine the process of 'disassembling' a full OPAC display
and re-imagining its presentation to a mobile user, and note where we found
challenges and opportunities for new services in the mobile use context
(such as adding mapping features to the OPAC item display).  We'll address
the benefits and drawbacks of developing locally rather than purchasing a
vendor solution. We'll also discuss preliminary findings from mobile
transaction log analysis, which may reveal some differences between
traditional & mobile OPAC use patterns.

A Custom Mobile Catalog: What to do When You Don't Like Your Options
Laurie M. Bridges, Oregon State University

Abstract: When Oregon State University Libraries¹ MobileLib team couldn¹t
find a mobile catalog interface that met their patron¹s needs, they created
one.  The MobileLib team, comprised of two subject librarians and a computer
programmer, created a custom mobile catalog interface for III, to
incorporate all their desired features.  These features include the ability
to search by keyword, title, subject, ISBN, as well as a course reserves
search.  The search can be filtered by location, and results can be limited
to 1, 5, or 10 results. Results include call numbers and the availability of
one-click access to the most pertinent data. The item records include title,
author, a description or table of contents, and a link to the shelf-view of
the item.  Patrons can also email or text the call-numbers to their mobile
phones.  At no time in their search do patrons need to leave the mobile
catalog interface to view the record.  The interactive features combined
with design specifications appropriate for mobile phones make this library
catalog compatible for all types of mobile devices and truly unique.

Mobile Discovery: Apps in the Wild
Andrew Nagy, Serials Solutions

Abstract: There¹s an app for that!  The Millennial generation carries a
smart phone in their pocket just like a set of car keys or a wallet.  It¹s
an essential every day item.  They use them for talking and texting, finding
the location of friends and doing homework in between class.  Imagine a
college student searching the library¹s collections while walking to their
next class  it¹s happening now.  This talk will demonstrate some live
examples from Discovery solutions such as AquaBrowser as well as the
Web-scale Discovery solution Summon to see how users can search their
library¹s collections.  I will also demonstrate some examples of university
wide mobile applications that involve the library¹s resources.

We will also be electing a new Vice-Chair/Chair Elect.  If you are
interested in running for this position, please send your bio to Richard
Guajardo, Chair, CFFIG ([email-masked]) by Monday, June 21st.

-- Richard Guajardo
Head, Integrated Library System
University of Houston
114 University Libraries
Houston, TX  77204-2000
713-743-9984
[email-masked]