Subject: [NGC4LIB] A "blitz" celebrating 2010 as the year of cataloging research

From: Jane Greenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:59:36 -0400

Greetings all -- sharing news here of UNC's April blitz celebrating
2010 as the year of cataloging research.  We are planning 2 more before
2010 ends.

A press release w/a colorful photograph of participants is @:
http://sils.unc.edu/news/releases/2010/04_blitz.htm; and a text version 
follows below in this message.

The blitz was truly a blast, and a really enjoyable way to highlight 
cataloging/metadata R&D taking place in our community.

We'd be thrilled to learn if other folks might hold their own cataloging 
research blitz, and list news of your event @ the SILS-MRC (Metadata Research 
Center).

best regards,

jane

~~~~~~~~~~~

PRESS RELEASE

A Cataloging Research Blitz: Celebrating 2010 as the Year of Cataloging
Research!

April 21, 2010 - Library of Congress guests, School of Information and
Library Science (SILS) students and faculty, University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries staff and visitors from the Research
Triangle Park and surrounding libraries came together April 19, 2010 in
the Davis Library on the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
campus for a celebration that featured a blitz on cataloging research.

This was the first "blitz" of three (3), to be sponsored by the SILS
Metadata Research Center <http://ils.unc.edu/mrc/> and the UNC
Libraries, to celebrate 2010 as the year of cataloging research. Among
the topics covered were the Semantic Web, FRBR, faceted searching,
censorship and cataloging and authority control.

The event also featured a social, meet and greet activity, where
participants and guests discussed cataloging research and interacted
with presenters and guests.

Dr. Jane Greenberg, SILS professor and director of the Metadata
Research Center, and Margaretta J. Yarborough, head of Resource
Description and Management, UNC Libraries, welcomed the group and
provided an overview of the afternoon celebration (see the
presentation, "A Cataloging Research Blitz!!!" at:
http://ils.unc.edu/mrc/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/slidesfromblitzapril19.pdf).
SILS students and UNC library staff *blitzed* through their
cataloging/metadata research, providing highlights with four minute
presentations. A list of the blitzers and their topics of research can
be found here. Distinguished guests from the Library of Congress (LOC)
attending the event, included:

* Barbara B. Tillett, chief, Policy and Standards Division

* Libby Dechman, senior policy specialist

* Ed Summers, software developer/librarian

Earlier in the afternoon, LOC guests participated in a "Seminar on
Knowledge Organization" that Greenberg teaches annually. Tillett gave a
presentation entitled, "Building Blocks for the Future: Making
Controlled Vocabularies Available for the Semantic Web,"
<http://ils.unc.edu/mrc/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/tilllett_building_blocks.pdf>. 
Summers spoke about linked data and Dechman followed Summers' presentation 
demonstrating the LOC Authorities and Vocabularies service moving towards 
linked data. Greenberg opened her class to members of the UNC library
community.

As members of the Helping Interdisciplinary Vocabulary Engineering
(HIVE)<http://ils.unc.edu/mrc/hive/> Advisory Board, Library of
Congress guests also spent the morning with members of the SILS
Metadata Research Center and the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center
discussing progress on the HIVE project.

The next "blitz" will take place in late August, 2010 with the final
blitz scheduled for December.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane Greenberg, Professor and
Director of the Metadata Research Center <MRC>
School of Information and Library Science
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
CB #3360, 205 Manning Hall
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3360

Email: [email-masked]
Tel.:  919-962-8066/Fax.: 919-962-8071
Web:   http://ils.unc.edu/~janeg
<MRC>  http://ils.unc.edu/mrc