Subject: [NGC4LIB] Job Posting: Automation Librarian, University of Wisconsin Colleges

From: "Niesen, Yvonne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:30:55 -0600

Sent on behalf of Mary Rieder, Director of Library Support Services

Academic Librarian, Automation, University of Wisconsin Colleges Library Support Services
Position: Academic Librarian, Automation Librarian
This is an 83% academic staff position reporting to the Director of Library
Support Services (LSS).

Qualifications:
REQUIRED: Master of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA accredited
institution, two years of professional-level experience in higher
education (automation preferred), and strong organizational, coordination,
communication, and customer service skills. Knowledge of Web page
development, HTML, Microsoft Office, and writing Access reports.
DESIRED: Experience providing automation support in a multi-library institution.
Knowledge of basic Unix, SQL, Javascript, Perl, cascading style sheets, and/or
XML would be helpful.
Position Summary:
The Automation Librarian will be responsible for the overall installation,
operation, and maintenance of all automated library systems and services for the
thirteen University of Wisconsin Colleges libraries, including Voyager, ILLiad,
SFX and Metalib, and will assist the Director of Library Support Services with
proxy server maintenance and on-campus access to over 100 licensed electronic
databases. The UW Colleges is the two-year institution of the University of
Wisconsin System, with campuses located throughout the state. Some travel will
be required. The position is headquartered in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.
Responsibilities:
* Serve as System Administrator for the integrated library system (Ex Libris'
Voyager), interlibrary loan software (OCLC's ILLiad), and meta-searching/linking
software (Ex Libris' Metalib and SFX)
* Participate in the selection and installation of a University of Wisconsin System
resource discovery interface
* Maintain and troubleshoot a customized Web-based library catalog interface
* Open, maintain files on, and follow up with vendors on incident reports of
problems with the libraries' automated systems
* Answer technical questions from library staff members about, and troubleshoot
problems with, the integrated library system, ILL and metasearching and
OpenURL linking software
* Work with the LSS Director and central UW Colleges/UW Extension Information
Technology staff to maintain proxy server (EZProxy) access to licensed
electronic library resources and services
* Run pre-packaged and customized Voyager Access reports; create new
customized reports as needed
* Train LSS and library staff members in the usage of automated library systems
and services
* Develop installation instructions for new versions of all automated library systems
* Maintain effective communication with UW Colleges/UW Extension central IT
staff, campus-based IT staff, institutional automation partners, the UW System
OLIT Library Consultant, and other UW System library automation staff members
* Monitor the Council of UW Libraries (CUWL) wiki and UW System electronic
mailing lists related to library technologies
* Develop and maintain current awareness of new developments with the
Colleges' automated library systems, and in information technology and
electronic resources by monitoring print resources, electronic mailing lists, blogs,
and RSS feeds, and attending regional, state and national conferences
* Communicate appropriate technical information regarding automated library
systems to library staff members in understandable, non-technical terminology
* Serve as primary technical contact for all automated library systems and services
vendors
* Represent the UW Colleges on the Library Automation Managers group of UW
System
* Participate in UW Colleges governance bodies, the UW Colleges Library Council
and subcommittees, UW-Fond du Lac campus committees, UW System
committees, and statewide library organizations

Start Date: As soon as possible.
Salary: $42,797 minimum; 22 days vacation and an excellent benefits package.

Library Support Services, located on the campus of the University of Wisconsin -
Fond du Lac, is the centralized acquisitions, cataloging, and automated systems
support unit for the thirteen UW Colleges libraries. The city of Fond du Lac, with
a population of over 42,000, is located at the foot of Wisconsin's largest inland
lake, Lake Winnebago, and approximately an hour from Milwaukee, Madison,
and Green Bay.

The UW Colleges, with a total enrollment of over 9,100 FTE, are the thirteen two year
campuses of the University of Wisconsin System. Located throughout the
state, they provide freshman-sophomore, liberal arts, transfer credit instruction.

Applications:
E-mail letter of application, resume, transcripts, and contact information for three
professional references to:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

Questions regarding the application process may be directed to Pam Dollard at
608-890-1066. Questions regarding the position may be directed to Mary Rieder
at 920-929-1307.
Application Deadline:
February 15, 2010

Applications must be accompanied by a statement of whether the applicant wishes to
have the application held in confidence or made available to the public upon request.
A criminal background check will be conducted for the finalist(s).
The University of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.