Subject: [NGC4LIB] job opening: Database Analyst and Web Services Developer, Houston, Texas

From: Dean James <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:57:18 -0600

My library has an opening. Though the ad focuses on the IT side, we are
also interested in librarians with the requisite IT skills. Here's the
ad:

 Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library 

Database Analyst and Web Services Developer 

The Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center (HAM-TMC Library)
is a major research library serving Texas Medical Center researchers,
clinicians and students, including two major medical schools and over 20
member institutions. The Library is also the Regional Medical Library
for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine South Central Region,
with responsibility for providing health information to health
professionals and consumers in the five state region of Arkansas,
Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. 

The HAM-TMC Library seeks an innovative and energetic technology
professional to provide support for our database and web environment.
The Database and Web Services Developer reports to the Associate
Director of Information Technology and has the following academic
computing functions: 1) management of the Library's web presence, 2)
management and development of the Library's local databases, 3) creation
and integration of web-based personalization tools including Web 2.0
applet development (iPhone Apps, Google Gadgets, Microsoft Widgets). The
Developer is an integral member of a work team that guarantees the
effective delivery and analysis of electronic information to the
scholars, students, and researchers that make up the diverse community
in the Texas Medical Center. 

Responsibilities include: 

                        General design and editorial oversight of the
Library's transactional systems identify, implement and maintain
interactive, dynamic, and general content management applications.
Prepare documentation on developed databases, including integration
strategies, procedures, and user's guides. Design and create new
databases as required 

                        General design and editorial oversight of the
Library's web presence; identify and implement interactive, dynamic, and
general content management applications 

                        Create and integrate web-based personalization
tools for library users and staff 

                        Maintain professional interests and knowledge of
database design, web design and usability 

Technical Skills: 

                        Experience with relational database design,
especially Microsoft Development (ASP.Net VB.Net, or C#.Net)
Environments, MS-SQL 2005 or newer, MS Integration Services, MS
Reporting Services, XML Services, 

                        Familiarity with internet network technologies
and protocols, network servers (Microsoft NT/2000/2003, Linux, *nix),
web servers (IIS, apache) 

                        Understanding HTML, XHTML, XML, JavaScript, AJAX

                        Advanced analytical and problem solving skills 

                        Advanced oral and written communication 

                        Intermediate dynamic web content programming
experience, including ColdFusion and SharePoint 

                        Intermediate Multi-platform knowledge and
experience (Windows XP/2003/2008/Win7, Linux, *nix) 

                        Intermediate web development tools 

                        Project management and team building experience 

                        Internet multimedia technologies (Flash,
Silverlight, streaming media) 

                        Human-computer interaction application and
design experience 

Qualifications: 

Required: BS in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related
field; three or more years developing databases; integrating web and
Internet applications in a business or educational environment; strong
oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills;
excellent technical writing and documentation skills; Must be able to
perform most programming and analysis tasks independently and without
supervision; 

Recommended: Microsoft Certified Professional in MS-SQL, .Net, Library
experience, including knowledge of electronic information standards. 

The HAM-TMC Library offers a complete benefits package which includes
health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance. In additional
to a comprehensive benefits package, the Library provides paid holidays,
vacation accrual, an exceptional retirement plan and a monthly
transportation subsidy. 

The HAM-TMC Library is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative
action institution, providing access to employment without regard to
age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation,
veteran's status, political affiliation, or disability. 

Starting Salary: $55,000 minimum, commensurate with experience 

Please fax, mail or email CV or Resume to: 

Andrea Thomas, Human Resources Specialist 

Houston Academy of Medicine - Texas Medical Center Library 

1133 John Freeman Boulevard 

Houston TX 77030 

Fax #: 713. 799.7816 

Email: [email-masked]

Dean James, Ph.D., M.S.L.S.

Associate Director, Collection Development

Houston Academy of Medicine-

Texas Medical Center Library

1133 John Freeman Blvd.

Houston, TX  77030

(P) 713-799-7122; (F) 713-799-7180

Email: [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> 

http://resource.library.tmc.edu <http://resource.library.tmc.edu/>