Subject: [NGC4LIB] Mobile Learning 2.0: The Next Phase of Innovation in Mobility > March 3–4 2010

From: gerrymck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:00:24 -0600

EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2010 Online Spring Focus Session

Although mobile learning has different meanings for different communities,
we know that learning is deepened and enriched when students have options
for their learning for multiple paths through course content. Mobile
technology not only enables students to take their learning with them beyond
the physical walls of the classroom, but it also makes possible a new array
of interactions in the classroom as well. Mobile learning encompasses
participating in learning activities anywhere, at any time, and utilizing
mobile technologies that are rapidly evolving. Possible applications of
mobile technology include enabling authentic learning engagements (such as
real-time data collection), spontaneous mash ups (such as populating a map
with local data), synchronous interactions with classmates and subject
experts, and a rich variety of interactions with course content. Precisely
because of its fluidity and independence from physical boundaries, mobile
learning offers vast potential to enhance all types of instruction:
face-to-face, blended, and online. The goal of this focus session is to
re-assess the potential of mobile technologies and identify new ways in
which mobility can contribute to the learning experience.

Join us March 3-4 for "Mobile Learning 2.0: The Next Phase of Innovation in
Mobility," the 2010 ELI Online Spring Focus Session. Hosted inside an Adobe
Connect learning environment, this virtual event will be much more than just
a "usual" online seminar. You’ll exchange ideas and collaborate
interactively with the ELI community—all without leaving your campus. You'll
also receive all the resources and guided activities you need to help frame
discussion and organize team events locally in your department, college, or
institution.

We will work together to:

•Develop an understanding of mobile learning and its diverse application to
all learning environments: face-to-face, blended, and online
•Explore various tools, devices, and instructional methodologies that
support mobile learning
•Create a framework for the design of meaningful and purposeful mobile
learning activities
•Reflect on the potential for mobile learning to promote critical thinking,
student engagement, and success
•Consider assessment strategies for mobile learning activitie

 Is This Event for You?

[snip]

You will receive the greatest value from this online session if you attend
as member of a team or host a group event on your campus. Team participation
can help your institution advance a current or upcoming project or encourage
cross-disciplinary collaboration. Team members find that active discussion
and engagement with each other during focus-session activities builds
rapport, solidifies plans, and enriches collaboration. By sharing a common
focus-session experience, participants can reflect on the implications for
their campus.

What We Will Do

•Develop strategies to help faculty introduce and sustain mobile learning
activities in their courses
•Explore mobile learning opportunities across a variety of disciplines
•Identify the role technology can play in the delivery and evaluation of
mobile learning
•Engage in dialogue with a community of professionals focused on how to
integrate and evaluate mobile learning across the curriculum

How You Will Prepare

You’ll be asked to complete presession activities and a survey in
preparation for the event. Please also visit the Getting Ready for the Focus
Session page to read more about technical requirements and informal
networking opportunities before the event begins. We recommend that teams
consider the ways they can interact both inside the online learning
environment and together on campus. Resources and guided activities will be
provided in the Learning Commons to help you frame discussion on campus and
organize team events.

[snip]

Registration  > Activity/Event Through March 1, 2010

Online Focus Session Registration - *individual (ELI member) $125

Online Focus Session Registration - *individual (ELI nonmember) $150

Online Focus Session Registration - **team (ELI member) $275

Online Focus Session Registration - **team (ELI nonmember) $350

*Individual registration: Designed for those planning to participate in the
event by themselves on their own computers. Registrants will receive a
single login and will be assigned to virtual teams for discussions and
team-based activities.

**Team registration: Designed for those planning to participate in the event
from a single campus location as part of a group. Team participation can
build rapport, foster collaboration, and solidify or develop plans for
teaching and learning. The person registering on behalf of the group will
receive a single computer login for the session as well as access to a
package of customizable team resources for hosting a face-to-face group
event covering the focus session content.

Links To Full Announcement / Preparation Page / And Registration Page
Available At

[ http://bit.ly/7BFN7i ]

enJoY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

>>> "The Future Is Mobile" >>>