Subject: [NGC4LIB] ALA ALCTS Cataloging Norms Interest Group - Annual Meeting during ALA Conference June 26, 2010 (Saturday) 1:30-3:30 p.m.

From: Michael Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 10:59:43 -0400

Please excuse cross-posting:

ALA ALCTS CCS Cataloging Norms Interest Group
ALA Annual Program, Washington D. C.
Saturday, June 26, 2010, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Hilton Washington Hotel, Meeting Room "Columbia 5"

All are invited to attend the meeting of the Cataloging Norms Interest Group
in Washington D.C. on Saturday, June 26 from 1:30 to 3:30, featuring three
speakers on a range of timely topics.

1.    Authority control and the digital repository: what happens to
controlled vocabulary once it's outside the ILS?
Karen Miller (Monographic/Digital Projects Cataloger, Northwestern
University Library)

Most libraries have figured out how to update the ILS with MARC authority
changes, but authority control in digital repositories is another story. As
catalogers become more integrated into digital projects workflow, they
incorporate controlled vocabulary into metadata used outside the ILS and the
realm of traditional authority control. Catalogers may be creating MARC
records which are repurposed by export from the ILS or they may be creating
metadata outside the ILS directly in XML, but drawing on a controlled
vocabulary. Controlled vocabulary terms slowly but inevitably become out of
synch with the original authority file used to supply them. Preferred
terminology changes, people die, and authority files are updated. This
presentation will examine the scope of metadata synchronization issues with
special focus on authority control and describe efforts underway at NUL to
address them.

2. Best Practices for CONTENTdm Users Creating Shareable Metadata
Sheila Bair (Metadata & Cataloging Librarian, Western Michigan University)
Myung-Ja Han (Metadata Librarian, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign)

The OCLC CONTENTdm Metadata Working Group consists of thirty-four members
representing libraries, archives, and museums. Meeting from August through
December of 2009 through bi-weekly telephone conferences, the group
discussed issues dealing with mandatory core elements, Dublin Core-to-MARC
mapping, and content standards relevant to the use of CONTENTdm and the OCLC
Digital Collection Gateway. The group has developed a draft “Best Practices
for CONTENTdm Users Creating Shareable Metadata.” The presentation will
introduce some of the issues related to migrating metadata from CONTENTdm to
WorldCat (from Dublin Core to MARC) using the Gateway and the solutions the
group has developed so far.

3.    Discovery Layer or Monster Mash?
Marliese Thomas (Database Enhancement Librarian, Auburn University
Libraries)

Discovery solutions have recently allowed us to search more and search more
differently than ever before. However, when Auburn University began working
with VuFind, and later EBSCO Discovery Service, we "discovered"
exactly how important metadata placement and consistency can be. See how we
have identified these trouble areas and how we are trying to resolve mapping
issues to maximize the benefits of these new technologies.

Rebecca Routh, co-chair
Catalog Librarian
University of Iowa Libraries
[email-masked]

Michael Kim, co-chair
Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services
University of Miami Richter Library
[email-masked]