Subject: [NGC4LIB] NITLE > Teaching With Mobile Devices: Smartphones / February 24 2010 / 4:00pm - 5:15pm / Eastern

From: gerrymck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:12:30 -0600

National Institute For Technology In Liberal Education

For faculty, instructional technologists, and others interested in using
smartphones for student projects including digital storytelling, mapping,
polling, and in-field data collection.

Delivered Online In Our Virtual Auditorium

Program Description

Mobile phones present a familiar challenge as an instructional technology:
Since everyone has them, there must be a way to use them for teaching and
learning. Seton Hall University has been exploring possible uses through its
mobile initiative.

In this session Michael Taylor, Assistant Professor of Political Science and
Director of the Center for Mobile Research and Social Change at Seton Hall
University, will discuss the uses of smartphones in the classroom across
multiple disciplines. Taylor will present the use of mobile devices in
student projects including digital storytelling, mapping, polling, and
in-field data collection. These projects highlight the functionality of
smartphones to improve classroom communication, collaboration, and
connectivity. Discussion will also cover the diverse pedagogical goals that
were addressed in these mobile projects, as well as some of the challenges
encountered in piloting these mobile projects.

The “Special Topics in Digital Teaching” series offers a sequence of
interactive discussions showcasing how faculty are using digital technology
for teaching and learning. The series is delivered online via NITLE’s
multipoint interactive videoconferencing environment and is designed to help
faculty make the transition from learning a new technology to using it
effectively for teaching and learning. Participants are invited to join
these lively discussions from the convenient location of their campus
offices.

Registration

Please register by sending an e-mail to [email-masked].

> Network participant fee (early registration by February 12): $48

> Network participant fee (after February 12): $50

> Out-of-Network participant fee: $65

Questions

For more information about this event or the “Special Topics in Digital
Teaching” series, please contact Rebecca Davis at [email-masked] .
Suggestions for series programming are welcome.

Links To Source / SHUmobile (Seton Hall University Mobile) Project Available
At

[ http://tinyurl.com/yjh9xvs ]

!!! Thanks To / Nancy Proctor / Head of New Media Initiatives / Smithsonian
American Art Museum  / For The HeadsUp !!!

EnJoY

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

>>> "The Future Is Mobile" >>>