Subject: [NGC4LIB] Job Posting (re-opened): Senior Library Services Developer, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA

From: Tim McGeary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:12:27 -0400

(apologies for the cross-posting)

Library & Technology Services (LTS) at Lehigh University is seeking a 
Senior Library Services Developer to work on the Library Technology team 
and to support Lehigh University’s participation in the Kuali Open 
Library Environment (OLE) project. The Kuali OLE project 
(http://www.kuali.org/ole) is a multi-institution collaboration working 
to build a community-source next-generation library management system.

This Senior Developer will have responsibilities for design and 
programming deliverables, representing Lehigh University on the Kuali 
Open Library Environment (OLE) Project Technical Council, working with 
agile development teams at multiple institutions around the world, and 
with subject matter experts.  Programming deliverables will include 
projects such as a next-generation library catalog discovery interface 
(such as VuFind, http://vufind.org/, or BlackLight, 
http://projectblacklight.org/), web services and interfaces for the 
Digital Library, and interoperable services and applications between 
Kuali OLE and Lehigh enterprise applications. Responsibilities after the 
completion of the Kuali OLE project will be split between Library 
Technology team programming projects (LAMP environment) and developing 
future Kuali OLE upgrades and enhancements for future versions (Java).

Responsibilities:
• Design and develop service oriented architecture (SOA) software 
services and systems in Java and related technologies between the Kuali 
OLE project and enterprise applications used by Lehigh, such as 
SungardHE Banner, Oracle Identity Management, Moodle, and CONTENTdm.
• Model, design, and develop web-based software applications and 
services in PHP and related technologies to support the missions of the 
University and Libraries, including the Digital Library
• Model, design, develop, and test web services, service wrappers, 
service interfaces, APIs, and messaging systems via enterprise service 
bus technologies, such as Kuali Rice (http://rice.kuali.org/)
• Develop software services and systems in Java and related technologies 
for Kuali OLE as part of community-source, multi-institution development 
team
• Participate in technology evaluation, selection, and implementation of 
software solutions for the library environment

Requirements & Qualifications:
• Three to five years experience in a technical role in the design and 
development of database-driven web applications characterized by:
    • complex domain requirements
    • large system integration
    • transactional and reporting functions
    • service-oriented architecture (analysis, modeling, and design)
• Degree in Computer Science or related field of study and/or equivalent 
experience/training
• Advanced knowledge and skills in Java and Java-based frameworks
• Advanced skills with web application frameworks, technologies, and 
languages such as PHP, Ajax/jQuery, and relational databases (preferably 
MySQL)
• Experience with Web Services, REST, SOAP or equivalent
• Experience with enterprise service bus technologies
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to meet deadlines

Desirable:
• Experience working with libraries, archives, higher education 
institutions
• Good understanding of issues around metadata, semantics, and ontology

Lehigh University offers an equitable & competitive benefits package 
including partner benefits. Hiring salary is between $53,300 and $64,000 
based on education & experience. Review of applications will begin 
February 1, 2010. Please send a letter & resume either electronically 
([email-masked]) or via US Mail to Pamela Steigerwalt, Employment 
Coordinator, Library & Technology Services, 8A E Packer Avenue, 
Bethlehem, PA 18015 AA/EOE

Review of applications will become May 15, 2010, but the position is 
open until filled.

ABOUT LEHIGH UNIVERSITY:  Lehigh University is located in Bethlehem, PA 
(pop.75,000), which is in the center of the Lehigh Valley (pop. 
600,000+).  A convenient location between New York City and Philadelphia 
provides access to many corporations and financial institutions.  The 
Lehigh Valley provides the best of urban, suburban, and rural living.
Founded in 1865, Lehigh University is a private research institution 
with about 4,500 undergraduates and 2,000 graduate students.  Lehigh is 
ranked 35th in the 2009 US News & World Report “Guide to America’s Best 
Colleges.”

-- 
Tim McGeary
Team Leader, Library Technology
Lehigh University
610-758-4998
[email-masked]

[email-masked]
GTalk/Yahoo/Skype: timmcgeary