Subject: [NGC4LIB] ALA Midwinter Meeting Announcement: ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services

From: Emily Prather-Rodgers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:14:21 -0600

The ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group will meet
at the ALA Midwinter Meeting 2010 in Boston on Sunday, January 17, from
4:00-5:30 p.m. in Room 151 A/B of the Boston Convention and Exhibition
Center.  Attendees are invited to participate by joining one of the
breakout sessions listed below.  At the end of the discussion period,
each group will share a brief summary of their conversation for the
benefit of all participants.
The discussion topics are:
1.       Economic Instability: It’s More than Just Acquisitions
2.       Up in the Clouds: Using Internet Based Applications in
Technical Services
3.       E-Everything: It’s Not Just Journals Anymore
4.       Metadata: Best Practices
5.       Collaborative Collection Development: Strategies for Success
6.       Automation: Batch-Loads, Macros, and More!
7.       From Selection to Shelf—and Beyond
8.       Pride and Joy, or Trial and Tribulation—We’re
experimenting with a somewhat new concept for this group.   Participants
should come prepared to discuss a project that they're working on and to
offer creative advice to colleagues for making their own projects more
efficient and effective. 
**Volunteers Needed!** We are seeking volunteers to facilitate and
record the discussions at each breakout session.  Responsibilities
include:
Facilitators: Guide the discussion at a table, making sure everyone has
an opportunity to participate and that the discussion progresses through
the allotted time.  The chair and vice-chair will provide the
facilitators with a list of questions that may be used to guide the
conversation.
Recorders: Take notes during the discussion and send a written report
to the chair as soon as possible after the meeting.  These reports form
the basis for the reports to ALCTS and published in Technical Services
Quarterly.
If you are willing to serve as a facilitator or recorder for any of
these topics, please send you name and contact information to Emily
Prather-Rodgers ([email-masked]) by Noon on  Thursday,
January 14.  Please include an indication of any topics you are willing
to facilitate and/or record.
We look forward to seeing you in Boston!
Emily Prather-Rodgers, Chair, North Central College
Tony Fang, Vice-Chair, University of Minnesota Libraries
þ Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.