Subject: [NGC4LIB] Call for papers for the 34th ELAG

From: Kristin Olofsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:51:10 +0100

Call for papers for the 34th ELAG conference, 9-11th June 2010, 
"Meeting New User Expectations"
Helsinki, Finland

The ELAG (European Library Automation Group) Conference is Europe's
premier conference for library and information management technology.
The meetings aim at in depth discussions of particular library
automation topics and at the promotion of informal exchange of ideas and
experience. The topics covered are technical and meant for participants
with an appropriate technical background.

We invite you to submit a paper on this year's main topic "Meeting New
User Expectations". 

You will find more information about ELAG, the topic and its sub-themes
below.

Information about the conference can be found at:
http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/
<http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/>  .

There will be a pre-conference "Code4Lib" 8th June 2010. More
information will be available later at the website mentioned above.

The paper should be submitted from http://indico.cern.ch/event/elag2010
<http://indico.cern.ch/event/elag2010>  .
Here you will also find more information about the Call for Papers.

How to submit a paper:

1) Go to http://indico.cern.ch/event/elag2010
<http://indico.cern.ch/event/elag2010>  
2) Press: login, and create your user account (if you don't have one
already).
3) Choose Call for abstracts, and then Submit a new abstract

The papers will be reviewed by the ELAG 2010 Programme Committee,
http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/about/programme-committee/
<http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/about/programme-committee/>  .

The abstract submitted should not be longer than one A4 page.

The deadline is February 15th 2010.

If you have any questions concerning the Call for papers, please contact
one of the co-chairs of the programme committee:

Kristin Olofsson, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

Roy Gundersen, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

Meeting New User Expectations

Users' perspective on information retrieval is largely shaped by web
experiences. Accordingly libraries are feeling pressure to adapt their
services in line with new user expectations. Bibliographic databases are
no exception to this and users expect them to come up with the most
relevant information on the first page of a search result. Thus the
challenge for use is "How can we make relevance ranking work in
bibliographic databases?" 

Search engines and web experiences have led users expect to get to a
resource instantaneously. How do we fulfil this need when large parts of
our services are still based around paper material? In a new style
library catalogue, users do not expect to find just journal titles, but
also expect articles within these journals to be found. What strategies
do libraries use to fulfil this wish? As well, Library catalogue records
are now harvested by Google and other search engines. Are we able to
expose our meta-data to these engines for useful re use and cross
referencing? Are we able to expose the richness of our bibliographic
databases to the web using semantic web technologies like linked data?
Are we ready for the E-book readers? What do libraries do to archive our
E-memory? Are our new discovery interfaces understood by our users? Do
we know our users? 

Sub themes of the conference 

These can be found here:
http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/conference/sub-themes/
<http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/conference/sub-themes/>  

About ELAG

Further information can be found here:
http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/about/elag/
<http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/about/elag/> 

Please fell free to forward/send this information to anyone that might
be interested.

Kind regards,

Kristin

...........................

Kristin Olofsson
The National Cooperation department/LIBRIS

Kungl. biblioteket / National Library of Sweden
Post: Box 5039, 102 41 STOCKHOLM
Visit: Biblioteksgatan 29
Phone: +46-8-463 42 52
Fax: +46-8-463 42 65
Mobile: 073 917 33 82
Email: [email-masked]
www.kb.se