Subject: [NGC4LIB] Job Announcement: Assistant Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services, University of Miami Libraries (reposted)

From: Michael Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:44:51 -0400

Please excuse cross-posting:

Assistant Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services

The University of Miami Libraries seeks a nominations and applications for
an Assistant Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services to provide leadership
and guidance in planning and managing database maintenance, authority
control, and copy-cataloging activities in the University Library to ensure
the quality of its resource discovery tools.   The incumbent hires, trains,
and supervises 6 FTE supporting staff in cataloging and quality control and
may also participate in original cataloging of print/online materials in a
variety of formats, as well as provide descriptive metadata for digital
collections.

*UNIVERSITY: *The University of Miami is one of the nation’s leading
research universities in a community of extraordinary diversity and
international vitality. The University is privately supported, non-sectarian
institution, located in Coral Gables, Florida, on a 260-acre subtropical
campus. The University comprises 11 degree granting schools and colleges,
including Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration,
Communication, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and
Marine and Atmospheric Science (www.miami.edu).

*THE LIBRARY: *The University of Miami Libraries (www.library.miami.edu)
rank among the top 50 research libraries in North America with a collection
of over 3 million volumes, 74,000 current serials, and over 64,000 E-journal
titles. The Otto G. Richter Library lies in the heart of the Coral Gables
campus and serves as the central library for the University. Other
University of Miami libraries include the Paul Buisson Architecture Library,
the Judi Prokop Newman Business Information Resource Center, and the Marta &
Austin Weeks Music Library, and the Marine and Atmospheric Science Library.
The campus also has independent medical and law libraries. The Libraries
provide support and services for approximately 10,100 undergraduates, 5,100
graduate students, and 10,000 full and part time faculty and staff. The
Libraries have a staff of 37 Librarians and 86 support staff and are a
member of ARL, ASERL, CLIR, NERL, RLG, and Lyrasis.

*POSITION:  *Reporting to the Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services, the
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services is responsible for initiating
and directing authority control, bibliographic quality control, and database
problem resolution to insure bibliographic and authority records meet local
and national standards, working closely with other library faculty/staff to
establish and document relevant policies, procedures, and efficient
workflows; Supervises, trains, and evaluates copy-cataloging and database
maintenance staff ; Acts as a liaison to authority and database enrichment
vendors and manages the loading and quality control for all vendor supplied
records and data; Works with Metadata Services and Digital Library
Initiatives to oversee metadata quality control of digital collections and
establish  relevant policies, procedures, and workflows; Participates in
original cataloging of all formats and metadata creation activities in the
library as needed ;Networks, collaborates and actively participates in
local, regional, national, or international organizations regarding issues
in librarianship, cataloging, database maintenance and authority control
services; Serves on/participates in University and Library committees, task
forces, and teams as appropriate

*QUALIFICATIONS: Required: *ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library
science, or an ALA-approved foreign equivalent; Two years of original
cataloging experience.  Professional understanding and knowledge of
cataloging procedures and principles including but not limited to: AACR2R,
LCRIs, LC classification, LCSH, MARC21 bibliographic and authority formats;
Professional understanding and knowledge of non-MARC metadata schemas,
standards, best practices, and their applications, such as Dublin Core, EAD,
VRA Core, MODS, METS, etc.; Working knowledge of bibliographic utilities and
integrated library systems and familiarity with authority and database
enrichment vendors services
Prior successful supervisory experience; ability to motivate staff and set
priorities; Demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately in a service
and production-oriented environment, and adapt to a fast paced rapidly
changing environment; Ability to plan and implement routines and processes
that ensure optimum production, and monitor projects through to completion
in a cost-effective manner ; Demonstrated  ability to work independently, as
well as collaboratively with diverse constituents ;Effective oral, written,
and interpersonal communication skills ; Reading knowledge of one or more
foreign languages (Spanish preferred).  *Desired:  *Experience managing
authority control processes and/or vendor services; Experience batch loading
and editing bibliographic records, using Millennium (Innovative Interfaces)
and/or third party software, such as MarcEdit, preferred ; Experience
developing macros and/or scripts to enhance productivity.

*SALARY AND BENEFITS: *Compensation will be competitive and commensurate
with experience and qualifications. This is a non-tenure track faculty
appointment at the Librarian Assistant/Associate Professor rank. The
position offers a comprehensive benefits package including: TIAA-CREF;
medical and dental insurance; life, disability, and long-term care insurance
available; tuition remission; 13 paid holidays; and 22 days annual vacation.
Additional employment benefits available include credit union; Employee
Assistance Program; bookstore, and sporting event discounts; optional
fee-based membership in a state-of-the-art wellness center, and no state or
local income taxes. More information on benefits can be found at:
http://www.miami.edu/benefits/pdf/bensum-faculty06.pdf.

*APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS: *Review of applications will begin
immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications and
nominations will be accepted until a suitable candidate is selected.
Applications should be submitted electronically and must include a letter of
interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. The references
will not be contacted before the appropriate time. Send nominations and
applications to:

Marylen Exposito, Human Resources Manager
Otto G. Richter Library
University of Miami
P.O. Box 248214
Coral Gables, FL 33124-0320
e-mail: [email-masked]
fax: 305-284-3913

 *The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action
Employer. The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages
applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.*