Subject: [NGC4LIB] Job: Project Manager for Librarian

From: Suzanne Pilsk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:12:51 -0500

Smithsonian Institution
 POSITION AVAILABLE

PROJECT MANAGER

APPLICATION DEADLINE:  March 1, 2010

START DATE: (pending background check)

SALARY:  $51,630 per annum

INTRODUCTION

This three-year term position is located in the National Museum of Natural
History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC.  Under the direct
supervision of Program Directors Rusty Russell, Department of Botany, and
Anne Van Camp, SI Archives, incumbent will run the day-to-day activities of
a new grant funded project to locate, catalog and make available all
biological field books and original expedition journals at the Smithsonian
Institution.

DUTIES

Primary responsibilities include:

1.     Coordinating with representatives of the Natural Collections
Description (NCD) Working Group and staff of the Biodiversity Heritage
Library (BHL) in establishing shared metadata schema.

2.     Coordinating with other libraries, archives, and collections
organizations to ensure community involvement and buy-in.

3.     Overseeing the work of the Senior Cataloger and contract catalogers;
with Senior Cataloger, developing manuals and tutorials to document workflow
processes; ensuring that assignments are made and tasks are completed in
order to keep project on its timeline.

4.     Ensuring that all project work is sufficiently supplied and
supported.

5.     Coordinating with the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO)
as digital content, applications and tools are developed.

6.     Producing scheduled progress reports.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Applicant must have minimally a Master’s degree in Library and Information
Sciences.  Applicant may replace Master’s degree with three years of
demonstrated employment with responsibilities that contribute to
requirements below.

Incumbent must possess significant familiarity with library information
science, an understanding of how concepts translate into applications, and
an understanding of policies and procedures related to libraries, archives
and museum collections.

Incumbent should be familiar with information standards including MARC, and
other description standards; should possess an understanding of how metadata
relate to physical objects, and how various metadata schema relate to each
other.

Incumbent should possess the ability to confidently supervise the work of
others; should be familiar with personnel management tools and performance
related evaluations.

Incumbent should be able to communicate effectively in writing to a variety
of audiences; should be able to communicate orally, both in one-on-one
conversations and in public situations.

Applications:

Email application materials as PDF documents to Anne Van Camp (
[email-masked]) AND Rusty Russell ([email-masked]).

1) personal letter of introduction

2) full academic and professional resume

3) two (2) professional references