Subject: [NGC4LIB] ALA/LITA session - Cloud computing in libraries, June 26th 8am - 12pm, WCC 143A

From: "Mitchell, Erik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:55:49 -0400

*Please redistribute*

*Cloud computing for library services
Saturday, June 26th, 2010  8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Washington Conference Center - 143A*

Join your colleagues for a discussion on cloud computing trends and projects
in libraries at ALA 2010.  The session will be held Saturday morning from
8am until 12 (full schedule below).  To sign-up for a lightning round slot
visit
http://groups.google.com/group/alacloud/web/lightning-round-sign-up-page.

This session will discuss how libraries can use cloud computing resources to
deliver innovative, cost-effective, and scalable services. The session will
include two panel discussions and participant lightning round. The panel
discussions will focus on trends, uses, and case studies of cloud computing
in library environments. Panel presenters include both library and IT
industry experts.

Schedule 8:00  -   9:00   Introductions & first panel session - Cloud
computing in libraries: Definitions, needs, and trends
 9:00  -   9:15   Break
 9:15  -   9:45   First Lightning round session - 5 minute slots
 9:50  - 11:00   Second panel session - Cloud computing projects and
innovative ideas
11:00 - 11:50   Full lightning round session - 5 minute slots
 Program contents

First panel discussion 8-9:00 am: Cloud computing in libraries: Definitions,
needs, and trends – This panel session will focus on providing an overview
of what cloud computing is and how it is being used to fill needs in
libraries. Panel members will each provide a short presentation and then the
moderator will coordinate a discussion on common themes (75 minute session).

   *Presenters*
   - Marshall Breeding – Vanderbilt University
   - Karen Coombs – OCLC
   - Rosalyn Metz – Wheaton College
   - Terry Reese - Oregon State University

Second panel discussion 9:50 - 11:00: Cloud computing projects and
innovative ideas – This panel session will focus on providing the audience
with short case-study style presentations from panelists. Following short
presentations from each panelist, the moderator will coordinate a Q&A
session (75 minute session).

   *Presenters*
   - Jason Clark – Montana State University
   - Leslie Johnston – Library of Congress
   - Erik Mitchell – Wake Forest University
   - Chris Tonjes – DC Public Library

Lightning round: 11:00-12:00: Cloud computing solutions lightning round –
For the final section of the session audience members will volunteer to
present 5 minute sessions on a cloud computing topic or application that
they are working on. Participants will be solicited in the spring of 2010.
(60 minute session) or may sign up to participate in the lightning round by
visiting
http://groups.google.com/group/alacloud/web/lightning-round-sign-up-page

-- 
Erik Mitchell, Ph.D.
Assistant Director for Technology Services
Z. Smith Reynolds Library
Wake Forest University
http://erikmitchell.info