Subject: [NGC4LIB] Libwebcat's list of libraries with discovery layer interfaces

From: Alejandro Garza Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 08:27:31 -0600

Just wanted to point this out in case anyone besides myself had missed it =)
http://www.librarytechnology.org/discovery.pl?SID=20100105878173828

         "Discovery Layer Interfaces
         The following are some of the Discovery Layer Interfaces that
    have been selected by libraries."

It's rather surprising there are only 3 listed libraries adopting both 
SOPAC and Scriblio? I bet there are more somewhere...

-- 
_________________ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
*Ing. Alejandro Garza González*
Coordinación de proyectos y desarrollo de sistemas
Centro Innov@TE, Centro para la Innovación en Tecnología y Educación
Tecnológico de Monterrey

Tel. +52 [81] 8358.2000, Ext. 6751
Enlace intercampus: 80.689.6751, 80.788.6106
http://www.itesm.mx/innovate/

El contenido de este mensaje de datos no se considera oferta, propuesta 
o acuerdo, sino hasta que sea confirmado en documento por escrito que 
contenga la firma autógrafa del apoderado legal del ITESM. El contenido 
de este mensaje de datos es confidencial y se entiende dirigido y para 
uso exclusivo del destinatario, por lo que no podrá distribuirse y/o 
difundirse por ningún medio sin la previa autorización del emisor 
original. Si usted no es el destinatario, se le prohíbe su utilización 
total o parcial para cualquier fin.

The content of this data transmission must not be considered an offer, 
proposal, understanding or agreement unless it is confirmed in a 
document signed by a legal representative of ITESM. The content of this 
data transmission is confidential and is intended to be delivered only 
to the addressees. Therefore, it shall not be distributed and/or 
disclosed through any means without the authorization of the original 
sender. If you are not the addressee, you are forbidden from using it, 
either totally or partially, for any purpose.

---

From: "Breeding, Marshall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 08:30:29 -0600

Thanks for pointing out the Library Technology Guides page on discovery interfaces.
Please use this url without the session data:
   http://www.librarytechnology.org/discovery.pl

And definitely let me know if your library has implemented a discovery system and it's not listed.

Thanks very much,

-marshall

Marshall Breeding
Director for Innovative Technology and Research
Vanderbilt University Library
Editor, Library Technology Guides
http://www.librarytechnology.org
615-343-6094

---

From: Alejandro Garza Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 08:49:09 -0600

Now that you mention it, we used Drupal and a mix of modules (Millennium 
module would be the main "bridge" module) to create various subject 
catalogs (e.g. "Medicine and Health", "Engineering", etc.) from our 
Millennium records. Each also contains a database listing, metasearch 
tool, etc.

This is a sample search from that portal:
   http://biblioteca.mty.itesm.mx/pasteur/en/search/apachesolr_search/heart

and a writeup is here:
   
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/Insight/ViewContentServlet?contentType=Article&Filename=/published/emeraldfulltextarticle/pdf/lht-12-2008-0059_rtc_cl_final.pdf

However, I'm not sure you'd want to list "Millennium Integration module 
for Drupal" as a "discovery layer"? (Although, SOPAC is also a module 
that runs on top of Drupal, and you list it as "SOPAC" =))

_alejandro