Subject: [NGC4LIB] catalog for Japanese books

From: Julie Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:44:56 -0700

I have a question that I posted to Autocat a couple weeks ago ... I thought
I'd try it here as well. (The "homemade catalog" thread made me think of
it.) ...

I have a librarian friend who is volunteering for a Japanese museum that has
a small special collection of books, many of which are rare -- especially in
the U.S -- (and many are written in Japanese). She wants to know if there is
a catalog system that would be of use for such a collection. (System cost is
an issue.)

Best wishes,
Julie Moore

-- 
Julie Renee Moore
Catalog Librarian
California State University, Fresno
[email-masked]
559-278-5813

"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from
themselves." -- J.M. Barrie

---

From: Aaron Collier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:59:54 -0700

Hey Julie, small world ;-)... I subscribed to this list as part of a class... 

Anyway - I assume this is for the Clark Center. Have they considered open source? Koha and Evergreen may be a very good fit. They are "free" systems. The biggest drawback to open source ILS systems is serials and aquisitions, which may not be an issue in this case. 

I may be able to provide more information when I get back into the office next week (wednesday). 

I've known the Clarks for about 30 years, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. 

Aaron 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Julie Moore" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:44:56 PM 
Subject: [NGC4LIB] catalog for Japanese books 

Best wishes, 
Julie Moore