Subject: [NGC4LIB] Job posting: Associate Director for Collections and Technical Services, Orlando Florida

From: Kimberly Montgomery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:52:00 -0500

Associate Director for Collections and Technical Services
University of Central Florida Libraries, Orlando

The University of Central Florida Libraries is seeking an innovative
and experienced leader to facilitate the identification and
implementation of best practices in acquisitions, cataloging, and
collection management.  The successful candidate should have significant
experience with one or more of these areas as well as strategic
planning, project management, process analysis and integrated library
management systems.  The position requires strong analytical and
decision making skills, an orientation toward new and developing
practices, and an ability to achieve concrete results by motivating and
empowering staff and colleagues.  A record of professional
participation, knowledge of issues and trends, and the ability to
represent the Libraries at all levels is essential.  As a member of
senior management this Associate Director reports to the Director of
Libraries and plays a leadership role in library-wide planning, policy
making, and development and evaluation of services.
 
Responsibilities:  Plans and leads implementation of traditional,
digital, and future services in cataloging,  metadata, acquisitions,
serials management, electronic resources licensing, and collection
management; enhances service quality and operational efficiency; leads
two department heads, eight faculty librarians, and twenty support
staff; fosters effective working relationships with all constituents;
contributes to system-wide planning and policy making; represents the
Libraries in a wide range of consortia and partnerships at the state,
regional, and national levels.
 
Qualifications: Required: Master’s degree from an ALA-Accredited
institution and a minimum of seven years experience successfully
managing or supervising in an academic library post-MLS.   Preferred:
Knowledge of and substantial operational experience in technical
services, collections, and budgeting; knowledge of appropriate
information technology applications such as Ex Libris, (ALEPH, SFX,
MetaLib); knowledge of collections and technical services automation,
issues, and current trends; substantial academic library experience in
progressively more responsible positions; experience administering a
major unit within a research library; demonstrated ability to effect
change; supervisory experience and a management style that empowers
others; ability to work well with a diverse community in a collegial
manner; strong analytical and decision-making skills;  experience with
programming related to library management systems; excellent
interpersonal and communication skills; ability to represent the
Libraries within the University and to external audiences at the state,
regional, and national levels; record of scholarship and professional
activities. 
 
Environment:  The University of Central Florida is the nation’s 3rd
largest university, enrolling over 53,000 students and offering 90
bachelor’s, 91 master’s, and 29 doctoral programs. The main UCF
library and branches have a collection of 1.9 million volumes,
subscription base of 32,000 serials, and serve as a partial depository
for government documents and patents.  The total library materials
budget is $5.5 million.  Full-time staffing of 110 includes 37 faculty.
For more information about the UCF Libraries see http://library.ucf.edu.

Salary and Rank: Commensurate with experience and qualifications. This
is a full-time, non-tenure track faculty position with generous
insurance benefits and employer-funded retirement options
(http://www.hr.ucf.edu/web/benefits/retirement.shtml), 22 paid annual
days, 13 sick days, 9 holidays, and no state income tax.   
 
To Apply: For position 37799 submit a letter of interest, curriculum
vitae, and contact information for at least four professional references
at https://www.jobswithucf.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=74555 
Review of applications will begin February 8th and continue until the
position is filled.   Search Chair is Meg Scharf, Associate Director for
Public Services [email-masked] .  
 
Searches are conducted in accordance with the state of Florida
open-records laws.   UCF is an equal opportunity, equal access,
affirmative action employer.
 
* * * * * * * * *
 
Kimberly Montgomery
Electronic Resources Cataloger Librarian
Cataloging Services Department
University of Central Florida Libraries
Orlando, FL 32816
[email-masked]