Subject: [NGC4LIB] Assistant Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services/Metadata Coordinator -- Houston, TX

From: "Jiun C. Kuo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:43:47 -0500

Assistant Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services/Metadata Coordinator

        Rice University is seeking a dynamic, service-oriented 
Assistant Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services/Metadata 
Coordinator.  The successful candidate will assist the Head of 
Cataloging and Metadata Services in management, direction, fiscal 
oversight, and long-term strategic planning for the Department, 
serves as Metadata Coordinator and operational manager for the Copy 
Cataloging Unit (7 FTE).  The Department includes 5 exempt, 7 
non-exempt, and 2 part-time temporary staff, plus student 
workers.  The position reports to the Head of Cataloging and Metadata 
Services in Technical Services.

Responsibilities:  Works closely with the Head of Cataloging and 
Metadata Services and other colleagues in both Technical and Pubic 
Services to set and continually evaluate priorities for all 
categories of work performed in the Copy Cataloging Unit.  Assists 
Department Head with the general management of the Department, 
including development of cataloging, metadata, and database 
management policy and procedures, individual and group performance 
measures (including statistics), gifts and bulk purchase processing, 
outsourcing, developing uses of library system and other automation, 
and longer-term planning and strategic development of the Department 
and its functions.  Provides leadership in a team environment with 
Cataloging and other staff to evaluate and apply appropriate metadata 
schemas to provide description and access to various digital projects 
of the Library and Rice University.  Keeps up-to-date with national 
metadata standards and schemas and is responsible for interpreting 
and adapting those for local purposes.  Acts as liaison for metadata 
projects with other departments within the library and/or other 
campus groups.  Provides training or technical advice to library 
staff regarding resource description and metadata 
assignment.  Manages and coordinates metadata projects.  May 
supervise project staff.  Serves routinely on standing and ad hoc 
committees.  Occasional duties:  assists with complex member copy and 
original cataloging as needed; manages special projects undertaken by 
the Department as assigned by the Department Head; represents the 
Department in the absence of the Department Head.

Requirements:  ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library Science; two 
years of successful supervisory and/or project management experience, 
preferably in an academic library; thorough knowledge of non-MARC 
metadata standards and practices (e.g. Dublin Core, EAD, TEI, MODS, 
METS, OAI, XML) and demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging 
national cataloging standards (e.g. LC classification, LCSH, MARC 21, 
AACR2, LCRIs, RDA, FRBR, etc.); thorough knowledge of bibliographic 
utilities, preferably OCLC, and vendor services; thorough knowledge 
of integrated library systems, preferably SirsiDynix; excellent oral 
and written communication skills; project management skills; proven 
ability to solve problems; leadership and training skills and an 
ability to reach consensus with diverse constituencies; ability to 
recommend solutions in areas not under direct supervision; 
flexibility in performing different tasks as library needs change; 
commitment to enhancing services through teamwork; ability to 
prioritize work to ensure that departmental and library goals are 
realized; demonstrated commitment to staff development and continuing 
education.

Preferred qualifications:  Familiarity with DSpace; original 
cataloging experience; reading knowledge of one or more Western 
European languages; familiarity or experience with the acquisitions 
module in an integrated library system; familiarity or experience 
with collection development principles and practices in an academic library.

Salary & benefits:  $49,500 minimum, with hiring salary commensurate 
with experience and qualifications; no state or local income tax; 21 
benefit days; 8 study days; a range of retirement options including 
TIAA/CREF; health and life insurance; and tuition waiver.

Environment:  Rice University provides a stimulating work 
environment, with opportunities to participate in the delivery of 
innovative library services supported by leading edge 
technologies.  Fondren Library 
(<http://library.rice.edu/>http://library.rice.edu/) is a research 
library with over 2.6 million volumes and over 81,000 serial 
titles.  The Library has a state-of-the-art offsite shelving facility 
and completed a major building renovation project in 2006.  An active 
program of digital resource development and delivery is grounded in 
successful collaboration among library and University staff from the 
Center for Digital Scholarship, other library departments, and 
University information technology staff.  Technical Services is 
committed to using both established and emerging methods to provide 
access to library materials.

Houston is a vibrant, multicultural city, with world-class visual and 
performing arts ranging from the traditional to the avant-garde. The 
fourth largest city in the country, Houston enjoys a moderate cost of 
living and easy proximity to the Gulf Coast.  For more information, 
see: 
<http://www.explore.rice.edu/explore/General_Information.asp>http://www.explore.rice.edu/explore/General_Information.asp.

Applications received by July 30, 2010 will receive first 
consideration.  Please apply with cover letter, resume, and the 
names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of 
three references 
at: 
<https://jobs.rice.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=52355>https://jobs.rice.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=52355. 
Inquiries:  Melinda Reagor Flannery, Assistant University 
Librarian/Search Coordinator at (713) 348-3773 or e-mail 
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked].  Rice University is an 
affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer.

**********************************************
Jiun Kuo
Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services
Rice University
Fondren Library MS44
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77251-1892

phone:   (713) 348-2568
fax:       (713) 348-5862
e-mail   [email-masked]