Subject: [NGC4LIB] Google Book Search question

From: "B.G. Sloan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:18:54 -0800

Does anyone have any details on what libraries will get with an institutional subscription?
 
Of course libraries will get more than one gets now in the current iteration, but how much more? Is there a description somewhere of the full text "collection" institutional subscribers will have access to? Will there be additional/improved functionality?
 
This is one of the reasons I'd like to see the settlement agreement approved...so we can get a clearer picture of the product and its costs.
 
Bernie Sloan

---

From: Karen Coyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:59:38 -0800

Quoting "B.G. Sloan" <[email-masked]>:

> Of course libraries will get more than one gets now in the current   
> iteration, but how much more? Is there a description somewhere of   
> the full text "collection" institutional subscribers will have   
> access to? Will there be additional/improved functionality?
>  
> This is one of the reasons I'd like to see the settlement agreement   
> approved...so we can get a clearer picture of the product and its   
> costs.

There isn't much detail, but look at pp 50-58 of the amended settlement:
   http://thepublicindex.org/docs/amended_settlement/amended_settlement.pdf

Most of that is various rules, conditions and legalese, but there is  
one section that addresses the nature of the product:

"Basic Features of Institutional Subscriptions.
Institutional Subscriptions will enable users to view, copy/paste, and
print pages of a Book, and may enable Book Annotations. With
respect to copy/paste, the user will not be able to select, copy and
paste more than four (4) pages of the content of a Display Book with
a single copy/paste command. Printing will be on a page-by-page
basis or a page range basis, but the user will not be able to select a
page range that is greater than twenty (20) pages with one print
command for printing. Google will include a visible watermark on
pages printed from the Institutional Subscription Database, which
identifies the material as copyrighted and displays encrypted session
identifying information provided by the subscribing institution during
such session, and which could be used to identify the authorized user
that printed the material or the access point from which the material
was printed. Such watermark will not obscure the content of the
printed pages."  (section D, p. 57)

In general, though, the settlement has many open-ended statements that  
would allow Google to develop a wide range of products over time, so  
this should not be seen as final, by any means.

kc

-- 
Karen Coyle
[email-masked] http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234
skype: kcoylenet