Subject: [NGC4LIB] Free EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar > What Happened to the Computer Lab? > February 3 2010

From: gerrymck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:44:46 -0600

February 3 2010 1:00 p.m. ET (12:00 p.m. CT, 11:00 a.m. MT, 10:00 a.m. PT)

Beth Schaefer / Associate Director / Client Services / University of
Wisconsin–Milwaukee

Summary

Your host, Steve Worona, will be joined by Beth Schaefer, and the topic will
be "What Happened to the Computer Lab?"

Over 80 percent of respondents to the annual ECAR study of undergraduate
students report owning laptops, yet usage of expensive public computer labs
remains high. Although computer labs might still be necessary, one can’t
help but feel that traditional labs are anachronistic in a world of wireless
connectivity, iPods, and smart phones. Labs are expensive to equip, staff,
and maintain, and often the layout maximizes the amount of equipment that
can be put into a given space rather than the creation of a comfortable or
stimulating learning environment.

Rather than predicting an entirely new model, this presentation will focus
on low-cost changes that can be made to the design, layout, and operation of
existing computer labs to meet both the changing needs of students and the
necessities of the economic recession.

Registration

There is no registration fee for this event.

Links To Source and Registration Pges(s) Available At

[ http://tinyurl.com/y9tamj7 ]

And/Or

[
http://mobile-libraries.blogspot.com/2010/01/free-educause-live-what-happened-to.html]

ENjoy !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

>>> "The Future Is Mobile" >>>