Subject: Re: [NGC4LIB] A thought experiment

From: Jennifer Bowen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:39:17 -0400

For the eXtensible Catalog, we have taken a very practical approach to
developing the XC Schema.  Our goal has been to reuse metadata from other
schemas/formats (and we have concentrated first upon legacy MARC data) while
doing as little "reinventing of the wheel" as possible.  Our underlying data
model is FRBR, which we have modified somewhat for use within the XC system
where we had a purely practical need to do so (e.g. to accommodate MARC
holdings data such as "summary holdings statements").  Wherever possible we
have used existing data elements from other schemas (Dublin Core, RDA) and
used them in the manner that they have been defined; in some cases we have
created our own data elements that we plan to register in the same registry
that holds the RDA data elements and vocabularies.  We are still tweaking
the content of the schema a bit as we test it in the XC User Interface, and
once we have it locked down we will create an actual XML schema, and also an
Application Profile which will describe in detail what metadata elements we
are using, and how we are using them.  Unfortunately, the formal metadata
documentation is a bit on hold as we concentrate on finishing the software.

Yes, we ARE creating separate records for each of the WEMI levels, and in
the process are learning a great deal about how to manage the relationships
between those records as they are processed through various parts of the XC
software and are updated, deleted, merged, etc.  As you can imagine, that is
a very complicated process, but essential if RDA is ever to be implemented
in the "Scenario 1" environment described by the RDA developers.

I would summarize the usefulness of the XC Schema as a way to move forward
out of the MARC environment, a way to start transforming MARC data into 
Linked Data, a way to start experimenting with RDA elements in a non-MARC,
FRBRized environment.  It is not a perfect solution, but perhaps a place to
start.

Jennifer

Jennifer Bowen
Assistant Dean, University of Rochester River Campus Libraries
Co-Executive Director, eXtensible Catalog Organization

---

From: Karen Coyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:59:19 -0700

Jennifer, could you post a link to your metadata schema (or however  
the data elements are defined)? I couldn't find it on the XC web site.

Thanks,
kc

-- 
Karen Coyle
[email-masked] http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234
skype: kcoylenet

---

From: "Bowen, Jennifer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:23:12 -0400

It's not in a very obvious place, unfortunately.  It is linked under the "Learn More" tab, or via this link:  http://dev2.xcproject.org/learnmore/publications/xc-schema-definition 

Jennifer

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Coyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:59 AM
To: Next generation catalogs for libraries; Bowen, Jennifer
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NGC4LIB] A thought experiment

Thanks,
kc