Subject: [NGC4LIB] Job Posting: Library Applications Programmer at the TriColleges

From: Spencer Lamm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:15:07 -0400

(Apologies for cross-posting)

LIBRARY APPLICATIONS PROGRAMMER

The Library Applications Programmer works in a team-oriented environment to
administer, support and enhance the library technology infrastructure of the
Tri-College Libraries Consortium (Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore
Colleges). The incumbent will be responsible for designing, implementing and
testing the Tri-College Libraries’ digital services, including integration
of information search and retrieval across multiple applications; developing
tools for digital content creation, access, and delivery; and administrative
tools for library staff. The incumbent will supervise a systems-oriented
intern position. Along with the intern, the incumbent will support core
information systems for the Tri-College Libraries, including the integrated
library system, inter-library loan/document delivery software and systems,
digital asset management systems, institutional repositories, and other
centrally-served technologies. The position will also actively explore new
library technologies and tools for possible use by the Consortium.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Required:

   * BA/BS in computer or information science or related field;
   * Coursework or experience in Library or Information Science
   * Proficient in current programming and/or scripting languages or
technologies including Javascript, PHP, SQL
   * Demonstrated knowledge of Web design and development including HTML, CSS
   * Working knowledge of standard metadata formats such as Dublin Core,
data migration, crosswalks, XML, and XSLT
   * Strong written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills and
a service-orientation
   * Ability to work independently, and in group settings
   * Ability to be self-directed and to prioritize and manage multiple
projects simultaneously
   * Strong analytic and problem solving skills
   * Creative outlook on the use of technology

Preferred:

   * Familiarity with and demonstrated interest in academic library
technologies
   * Experience with Linux and/or Unix, web servers, and database
application configuration (MySQL, Oracle, and/or Postgres a plus)
   * Additional programming language experience with one of the following:
Python, Java, Perl, or Ruby

ABOUT THE TRI-COLLEGE LIBRARY CONSORTIUM
The Tri-College Library Consortium of Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore
Colleges has developed complementary relationships among the staffs over a
period of decades and has shared an integrated library system for 20 years.
Patrons of one member library have generally unlimited access to the
collections and resources of the others. The working culture of the
Consortium is continually evolving toward increased collaboration in a
professional community committed to the candid exchange of ideas, thoughtful
change, and consistent, appropriate innovation.

Please apply through the Swarthmore Human Resources web site at
http://www.swarthmore.edu/x14128.xml . Swarthmore College is a highly 
selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose
mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a
strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its
educational program and employment
practices and actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with
exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments
to a more inclusive society and world.