Subject: [NGC4LIB] M-Libraries 2 > A Virtual Library In Everyone’s Pocket

From: gerrymck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:51:33 -0500

Mohamed Ally and Gill Needham, editors / Facet Publishing, 2010.

'...any public, academic, medical or special librarian whose users rely on
mobile devices will benefit from learning about the cutting-edge
applications explained here. it is a useful guide for info pros in corporate
organisations, policy makers, researchers, developers, publishers and
suppliers.'/ Archana Vebkatraman, Information World Review

Interest in m-library services has grown exponentially in the last five
years, as libraries are recognizing the potential of ubiquitous and
increasingly sophisticated mobile devices. Building on the highly regarded
M-Libraries: libraries on the move to provide virtual access, this new book
brings together research and case studies from all corners of the globe on
the development and delivery of library services and content to mobile
devices.

Based on the proceedings of the Second International M-Libraries Conference
held in Vancouver, this new collection of contributions from authorities in
the field serves to demonstrate the ingenuity and creativity of developers
and service providers in this area, ranging from the innovative application
of basic mobile phone technology to provide information services in remote
parts of the globe lacking internet access, to the development of new tools
and technologies which harness the full functionality of popular mobile
phones. Key topics include:

•enhancing library access through the use of mobile technology
•the university library digital reading room
•mobile access for workplace and language training
•the role of an agent supplying content on mobile devices
•cyberlearning and reference services via mobile devices
•podcasting as an outreach tool
•service models for information therapy services delivered to mobiles
•bibliographic ontology and e-books
•health literacy and healthy action in the connected age
•a collaborative approach to support flexible, blended and
technology-enhanced learning
•mobilizing the development of information skills for students on the move
and in the workplace

The collection demonstrates the emergence of an evidence base for
m-libraries, with a number of contributions presenting the results of user
surveys and studies of user behaviour. This highly topical book should be
read by information professionals in all sectors, and by policy makers,
researchers, developers, publishers and suppliers. It will also be of great
interest to library and information studies students and newcomers to the
profession.

May 2010; 320pp; paperback; 978-1-85604-696-1; £44.95

Links To A-Z of Contributors and Order Form / Neal-Schuman order Avaialble
At

[ http://tinyurl.com/282fj4z ]

ALSO >>>

Links To Blog Posts About >

First ML-Libraries conference, published book, and now free online content
avaiable from

[ http://tinyurl.com/dylqvh ]

Second M-Libraries Conference Site

[ http://tinyurl.com/c2tuy3 ]

Third M-Libraries Conference > May 11-13 2011 > Brisbane, Australia

[ http://tinyurl.com/247zkop ]

enJOY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

>>> "The Future Is Mobile" >>>