Subject: [NGC4LIB] Avanti

From: Peter Schlumpf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:54:32 -0600

Many of you have not heard from me for a very long time. I find myself at
the beginning of this new decade without a job. The last few years have been
rough. The job market is terrible. So what to do? I think this is a blessing
in disguise. I have all the time in the world to do something.

As I look at around, I feel a bit like a Rip van Winkle. So much has
happened that I have not been a part of. Yet, I have been quite aware of it
all from the very beginning. I've watched open source and free software
happen and evolve in libraries. I am pleased. Koha exists. And Evergreen.
They are very good alternatives to commercial offerings. But Avanti has not
lived up to its name. Now it is time.

After many years of neglect, I am getting back to work on Avanti, picking it
up from where I left it. I will do so as long as I have a network connection
and the lights stay on. I plan to keep whatever it turns out to be open
source. So I ask you, the library community, what do you want in an opac?
Would it be something different than what we have thought of as a opac? I
want to redesign the opac from the ground up beginning with the basics. What
would you tell someone who has nothing better to do with his time than to
build such a thing?  feel free to tell me.
 Come January 4th, I will set myself down to work. Best wishes, and good
health to all in the new decade.

Peter Schlumpf
http://www.avantilibrarysystems.com