Subject: [NGC4LIB] Mobile Technologies and Next Generation Catalogs: LITA Next Generation Catalog Interest Group at ALA Boston

From: "Schwartz, Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:19:00 -0500

LITA NGCIG Meeting at ALA Boston: Mobile Technologies and Next
Generation Catalogs

The LITA Next Generation Catalog Interest Group will meet on Sunday,
January 17, 10:30 a.m. - Noon.  

BCEC-Room 104A/B

A brief IG business meeting and vote for a chair-elect will precede the
presentation and discussion.
 
We will have a presentation and discussion on the development and
application of mobile interfaces to catalog systems.  In addition to the
presentation, attendees are welcomed and encouraged to briefly present
their mobile design strategies and techniques, and challenges posed by
mobile devices.
 
Libraries To Go

Holly Tomren (University of California, Irvine)
Students and faculty are always on the go. Our collections and services
need to be available to them when and where they need them. The
presenter will address the special challenges involved in providing
library content and services to mobile users in this big picture
presentation. The topics will range from offering an entire library
experience to your mobile users to potential best practices for
cataloging electronic resources specific to mobile devices. Other topics
include IT issues, collection development trends, licensing issues and
gathering usage statistics. Holly will discuss some discovery tools
available, such as mobile-friendly OPACs, union catalogs, library web
pages and subject guides. We will also broach the impacts of these
issues, and consider ways in which the library can best position itself
for the mobile revolution.

See you in Boston.

--

Ray Schwartz / Chair NGCIG
[email-masked]