Subject: [NGC4LIB] Call for book chapters: Library Automation and OPAC 2.0

From: Jesús Tramullas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:09:36 +0200

Dear colleagues

We are working on the edition of this book. I truly believe that you can
participate with a theme of your choice if you're interested. Of course,
you can distribute this call for chapters who consider appropriate.

Call for Chapter Proposals
Proposal Submission Deadline: July 10, 2010

Library Automation and OPAC 2.0: Information Access and Services in the
2.0 Landscape
A book edited by Dr. Jesús Tramullas and Dr. Piedad Garrido
University of Zaragoza (Spain)

## Introduction

Library automation was an interesting research topic and a classical
development in the eighties and nineties. However, during the last
decade, big research effort was centered in digital libraries, leaving
library automation in the background. Nevertheless, the beginning of web
2.0 and social networks favored the resurgence of library automation,
since available methods and techniques made possible the design and
implementation of novel ways of managing, accessing and dissemination of
the information throughout libraries and information services. The
combination of different technologies previously used in digital
libraries, the integration of social network tools, and the
popularization of digital information access through specialized devices
have made possible that the research community, professionals and users
of librarian systems and networks take up interest in library automation
again, and user interaction, by means of OPACs 2.0.

As a result, a new research trend is being carried out. It includes the
basis, techniques and tools for library automation, specially centered
in information access from the end-users¹ perspective, as service
receivers, as well as active participants in the enrichment,
participation and dissemination process of the digital information
products. In this field of knowledge, the research and development has
focused on information standards, data treatment and labeling, semantic
web, information visualization, user interfaces, information literacy,
e-books, social networks, etc. The interaction between digital world and
social world has created the library 2.0 concept, an expression which
integrates them. In order for library 2.0 to be possible, it is
necessary for the research, development and smart integration of
technological solutions, which assist users to satisfy their information
access requirements.

## Objectives

The objective of this book is to provide a reference source about
theoretical and technical foundations of library automation in library
2.0 context. This publication will compile both the state of the art,
and the key innovative projects about the matter.

## Topic Areas

This book will invite submissions describing ongoing innovative work and
applications on these interdisciplinary areas coving library automation,
library 2.0 technologies and services, innovative OPACs, library data
visualization, social networks on libraries, theory and best practices,
metadata, etc. Specifically, book chapters include, but are not limited to:

New and innovative library systems
OPAC 2.0 products
User interfaces for libraries and library systems.
Library 2.0 services and products
Library 2.0 user information behavior
Social networks on libraries 2.0
Library data visualization.
Collaborative technologies on libraries
Semantic libraries and open data
Theory and reflection about library 2.0

## Submission Guidelines

Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before July
10, 2010, a 2 to 3 page chapter proposal clearly explaining the missions
and concerns of his proposed chapter, as a PDF or DOC file attachment to
the editors ([email-masked] or [email-masked]). The proposal
should contain the following information:

1. Name of the book chapter
2. Name of author(s), email address and affiliation
3. Technical area covered in the chapter
4. Main contributions which will be made by author(s)
5. Technical novelty of the contribution
6. Detailed table of contents of the chapter

Authors of accepted proposals will be notified by July 25, 2010 about
the status of their proposals and sent chapter guidelines. Full chapters
are expected to be submitted by November 5, 2010. All submitted chapters
will be reviewed on a double-blind review basis.

Publisher
To be published by IGI Global:
http://igi-global.com/AuthorsEditors/AuthorEditorResources/CallForBookChapters
/CallForChapterDetails.aspx?CallForContentId=4ae6e1c4-904b-4d83-8a4a-9ece2171f
ccb

## Important Dates:

July 10, 2010:         Proposal Submission Deadline
July 25, 2010:         Notification of acceptance/rejection
November 5, 2010:     Full chapter submission
December 5, 2010:     Reviews Results Returned
January 20, 2011:     Revised Chapter Submission
January 30, 2011:     Final Deadline

Inquiries and submissions can be forwarded to:
Dr. Jesús Tramullas ([email-masked]) or Dr. Piedad Garrido
([email-masked])

-#---------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Jesús Tramullas
Depto. Ciencias de la Documentación | Information Sciences Dep.
Universidad de Zaragoza
http://tramullas.com
---------------------------------------------------------------#-