Subject: [NGC4LIB] Library Application and Database Manager/Developer @Princeton University Library

From: Antonio Barrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:52:16 -0500

Apologies for the cross posting!

Library Application and Database Manager/Developer Princeton University
Library Requisition # 1000065

The Princeton University Library, one of the world's most respected
research institutions, serves a diverse community of 7,200 students and
1,100 faculty members, with more than 6 million printed volumes, 5
million manuscripts, and 2 million nonprint items. The holdings in its
central library and 9 specialized libraries range from ancient papyri
and incunabula to the most advanced electronic databases and digital
collections. The Library employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of
more than 300 professional and support personnel, complemented by a
large student and hourly workforce. More information can be found at the
Library's Web site:  http://libweb.princeton.edu/

Description: Princeton University Library seeks a Library Application
Database Manager/Developer to maintain, enhance and create applications
for Library users and staff. In addition, this person will help develop
web based library services for patrons and help with implementation and
enhancements to Library NextGen user interfaces.  

Responsibilities: The primary function for this position is to maintain
and enhance current locally developed library applications and to create
new ones as new needs arise. The locally developed applications include
various specialized catalogs, specialized user applications such as
E-Reserves and Audio-Reserves, and internal workflow applications for
managing staff travel, staff lists, and guest access to the libraries,
and many more. This position will also help with library web services
development, including maintaining and creating machine to machine
interfaces, as well as user interfaces. This position will also be
assigned other projects as needed. 

Qualifications: 

Required:  BA or BS from an accredited institution. At least 3 years of
experience working with: Visual Basic and the .NET Framework and
application development within the Visual Studio IDE (integrated
development environment). Experience developing Web applications for the
MS Internet Information Server. Knowledge of Perl, Javascript,
relational database design and the MS Access and SQL Server database
platforms and queries. Experience with library bibliographic, holdings
and authorities data in MARC and XML format. Knowledge of HTML, XSL and
XSLT formats. Excellent communications skills, analytical and problem
solving abilities and the ability to collaborate with colleagues and
other staff as needed. Ability to function with minimal supervision.

Preferred: Familiarity and experience with: MySql, PHP, Java, Python,
REST principles, UNIX operating systems. Masters degree in Computer or
Library Science and previous experience in library systems and
application development. Previous project management experience
preferred.

Compensation and Benefits: 

Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and
accomplishments.  Twenty-four (24) vacation days a year, plus eleven

(11) paid holidays. Annuity program (TIAA/CREF), group life insurance,
health coverage insurance, disability insurance, and other benefits are
available. 

Nominations and Applications:

Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until
the position is filled. Nominations and applications (cover letter,
resume and the names, titles, addresses and phone numbers of three

references) will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website:

http://www.princeton.edu/jobs 

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
EMPLOYER.

For information about applying to Princeton, please link to
http://www.princeton.edu/jobs