Subject: [NGC4LIB] ALA Annual 2010: ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group

From: Emily Prather-Rodgers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:54:56 -0500

The ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group will meet
at the ALA 2010 Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, June
27, from 4:00-5:30 p.m. in the Chinese Ballroom of the Renaissance
Mayflower hotel.  Attendees are invited to participate by joining one
of
the breakout sessions listed below.  At the end of the discussion
period, each group will share a brief summary of their conversation
for
the benefit of all participants.

The discussion topics are:
1.	I am  Technical Services: Succeeding in a One (Wo)Man Shop
2.	When I was your age…: thriving in the multi-generational
technical services workplace
3.	That’s not in my job description: encouraging flexibility in
times of changing technologies and guidelines
4.	Make room for metadata : moving beyond MARC for digital
collections
5.	The Next Generation ILS : What do we expect? What do we need?
6.	Stuck in the middle : communicating effectively with library
administrators and technical services staff
7.	Free like a beer? Or free like a puppy? : open source tools for
technical services
8.	Sexier than a librarian? : e-books in your library

**Volunteers Needed!** We are seeking volunteers to facilitate and
record the discussions at each breakout session.  Responsibilities
include:

**Facilitators: Guide the discussion at a table, making sure everyone
has an opportunity to participate and that the discussion progresses
through the allotted time.  The chair and vice-chair will provide the
facilitators with a list of questions that may be used to guide the
conversation.

**Recorders: Take notes during the discussion and send a written
report
to the chair as soon as possible after the meeting.  These reports
form
the basis for the reports to ALCTS and published in Technical Services
Quarterly.

If you are willing to serve as a facilitator or recorder for any of
these topics, please send you name and contact information to Emily
Prather-Rodgers ([email-masked]) by Noon on  Thursday,
June
24.  Please include an indication of any topics you are willing to
facilitate and/or record.

**Vice Chair/Chair-Elect: At the conclusion of the Annual Conference,
Emily’s tenure as Chair of the interest group will end, and Tony
will
take over those duties.  We are seeking a new Vice Chair/Chair-Elect
to
serve from July 2010 through June 2011.  The chair-elect will assume
the
duties of the chair from July 2011 through June 2012.  If you are
interested in serving, please send your name and contact information
to
Emily Prather-Rodgers ([email-masked]) by Noon on
Thursday,June 24.  Candidates will be asked to introduce themselves at
the
upcoming meeting.

We look forward to seeing you in D.C.!

Emily Prather-Rodgers, Chair, North Central College
Tony Fang, Vice-Chair, University of Minnesota Libraries