Subject: [NGC4LIB] Reposting - Sorry! Code4Lib Journal Issue 9 now available!

From: Carol Bean <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:49:36 -0400

Please excuse cross posting, and please feel free to share! :-)

Editorial Introduction – Moving Forward
Carol Bean
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2569

Welcoming new editors, and reflecting on the sustainability factor.

A Principled Approach to Online Publication Listings and Scientific Resource
Sharing
Jacquelijn Ringersma, Karin Kastens, Ulla Tschida and Jos van Berkum
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2520

The Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Psycholinguistics has developed a service
to manage and present the scholarly output of their researchers. The PubMan
database manages publication metadata and full-texts of publications
published by their scholars. All relevant information regarding a
researcher’s work is brought together in this database, including
supplementary materials and links to the MPI database for primary research
data. The PubMan metadata is harvested into the MPI website CMS (Plone). The
system developed for the creation of the publication lists, allows the
researcher to create a selection of the harvested data in a variety of
formats.

Querying OCLC Web Services for Name, Subject, and ISBN
Ya’aqov Ziso, Ralph LeVan, and Eric Lease Morgan
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2481

Using Web services, search terms can be sent to WorldCat’s centralized
authority and identifier files to retrieve authorized terminology that helps
users get a comprehensive set of relevant search results. This article
presents methods for searching names, subjects or ISBNs in various WorldCat
databases and displaying the results to users. Exploiting WorldCat’s
databases in this way opens up future possibilities for more seamless
integration of authority-controlled vocabulary lists into new discovery
interfaces and a reduction in libraries’ dependence on local name and
subject authority files.

Challenges in Sustainable Open Source: A Case Study
Sibyl Schaefer
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2493

The Archivists’ Toolkit is a successful open source software package for
archivists, originally developed with grant funding. The author, who
formerly worked on the project at a participating institution, examines some
of the challenges in making an open source project self-sustaining past
grant funding. A consulting group hired by the project recommended that —
like many successful open source projects — they rely on a collaborative
volunteer community of users and developers. However, the project has had
limited success fostering such a community. The author offers specific
recommendations for the project going forward to gain market share and
develop a collaborative user and development community, with more open
governance.

Challenges in Sustainable Open Source: A Case Study
Sibyl Schaefer
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2493

The Archivists’ Toolkit is a successful open source software package for
archivists, originally developed with grant funding. The author, who
formerly worked on the project at a participating institution, examines some
of the challenges in making an open source project self-sustaining past
grant funding. A consulting group hired by the project recommended that —
like many successful open source projects — they rely on a collaborative
volunteer community of users and developers. However, the project has had
limited success fostering such a community. The author offers specific
recommendations for the project going forward to gain market share and
develop a collaborative user and development community, with more open
governance.

Using Cloud Services for Library IT Infrastructure
Erik Mitchell
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2510

Cloud computing comes in several different forms and this article documents
how service, platform, and infrastructure forms of cloud computing have been
used to serve library needs. Following an overview of these uses the article
discusses the experience of one library in migrating IT infrastructure to a
cloud environment and concludes with a model for assessing cloud computing.

Creating an Institutional Repository for State Government Digital
Publications
Meikiu Lo and Leah M. Thomas
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2563

In 2008, the Library of Virginia (LVA) selected the digital asset management
system DigiTool to host a centralized collection of digital state government
publications. The Virginia state digital repository targets three primary
user groups: state agencies, depository libraries and the general public.
DigiTool’s ability to create depositor profiles for individual agencies to
submit their publications, its integration with the Aleph ILS, and product
support by ExLibris were primary factors in its selection. As a smaller
institution, however, LVA lacked the internal resources to take full
advantage of DigiTool’s full set of features. The process of cataloging a
heterogenous collection of state documents also proved to be a challenge
within DigiTool. This article takes a retrospective look at what worked,
what did not, and what could have been done to improve the experience.

Wrangling Electronic Resources: A Few Good Tools
Brandy Klug
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2634

There are several freely available tools today that fill the needs of
librarians tasked with maintaining electronic resources, that assist with
tasks such as editing MARC records and maintaining web sites that contain
links to electronic resources. This article gives a tour of a few tools the
author has found invaluable as an Electronic Resources Librarian.

CONFERENCE REPORT: Code4Lib 2010
Birong Ho, Banurekha Lakshminarayanan, and Vanessa Meireles
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2717

Conference reports from the 5th Code4Lib Conference, held in Asheville, NC,
from February 22 to 25, 2010. The Code4Lib conference is a collective
volunteer effort of the Code4Lib community of library technologists.
Included are three brief reports on the conference from the recipients of
conference scholarships.

-- 
Carol Bean
[email-masked]