Subject: [NGC4LIB] Technology Counts 2010 > Powering Up: Mobile Learning Seeks The Spotlight In K-12 Education

From: gerrymck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:42:20 -0500

Colleagues/

K-12 Leading The Mobile Way ?

/Gerry

Technology Counts is Education Week's annual report on educational
technology.

Powering Up Change

But lack of research on the educational impact of portable tech tools is a
problem.

Editor's Note
Much like the shifting landscape in K-12 educational technology, this year's
Technology Counts is changing to address the challenges of covering schools
in the digital age.

Profiles: Laptops

Building on a Decade of 1-to-1 Lessons
Sustaining a laptop program at a middle school in Michigan requires a
wireless vision and parent purchasing power.

EXPERT ADVICE: Wireless Issues

Profiles: IPods

Portable Playlists for Class Lessons
Although still banned by many schools, a growing number of others are using
iPods and other MP3 players as educational accessories.

Profiles: TeacherMates

Targeting Elementary Readers
TeacherMate—a Game Boy-like device—is now being used by 40,000 students in
15 states with the aim to improve the reading skills of K-2 students.

VIDEO: TeacherMates in Action

Profiles: Smartphones

Solving Algebra on Smartphones
A project to use the devices as teaching and learning tools is showing
promising results.

Features

Adding Up Mobile Costs
Paying for initiatives that use portable tech tools goes far beyond the
initial cost of the devices.

Teachers Testing Mobile Methods
Best practices are emerging as more educators use the devices in their
classrooms.

Configuring Content
Developing meaningful lessons that fit the constraints of small-screen
devices is a challenge.

Full Speed Ahead in Higher Ed.
Mobile learning is gaining momentum at colleges and universities faster than
in K-12.

Devices Deliver Learning in Africa
Educators are finding innovative ways to bring education to students in
remote areas.

Tracking Trends

Mobilizing the Research
A growing number of studies in the U.S. and abroad is helping to build a
better case for using portable digital tools.

Ed-Tech-Stats
This year, the Technology Counts data section shifts its focus from a state
to a district lens, offering a host of charts showing how local schools and
districts are using standard and emerging technologies to improve education.

DATA: Ed-Tech Stats

Q&A
Three ed-tech researchers discuss important issues surrounding the use of
cellphones, laptops, and other computing devices for teaching and learning.

>>> Free / Full Access Available March 17- 24 2010 <<<

See Also

Link To Live Chat / Mobile Learning: Trends and Challenges / March 23 2010 /
2 PM / Eastern

All Links Accessible Via

[ http://tinyurl.com/ybg6qsj ]

enJOY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

>>> "The Future Is Mobile" >>>