Subject: [NGC4LIB] ER&L Conference - Registration Deadline and Conference

From: Barbara Blummer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:36:50 -0500

*Please excuse the cross postings*

Electronic Resources & Libraries Conference 2010 February 1 - 3, 2010
AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center at The University of Texas
Austin, TX, USA http://electroniclibrarian.org
**************************************

Last chance to register for the Electronic Resources & Libraries
Conference is Friday, January 8, 2010:
http://www.electroniclibrarian.org/erlwiki/Registration

Presentations
ER&L '10 Abstracts and Session Titles:
http://electroniclibrarian.com/erlwiki/Program#Conference_Schedule

Preconference Details:
Three preconference workshops are planned for Sunday, January, 31,
2010. The morning workshop is "Marketing E-Resources Successfully".
The two afternoon workshops are "Processing, Storing, and Viewing Use
Data" and "Current Dilemmas in Information Ethics:  Changing Rules of
the Game".
For more details see:
http://electroniclibrarian.org/erlwiki/Program#Preconference_Workshops

ER&L '10 conference details are online at:
http://www.electroniclibrarian.org/erlwiki

If there are questions, email Bonnie Tijerina at [email-masked]

Barbara Blummer
Center for Computing Sciences
[email-masked]

---

From: "Harper,Michelle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 17:08:26 -0500

If you are attending ALA Midwinter 2010 in Boston, please join us for
this OCLC-hosted session:

Solving the Repository Sustainability Problem
Saturday, January 16, 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon, Westin Waterfront, Paine
Room

Hear about successful sustainability strategies from the panel and
contribute your own approaches and tactics for solving this ongoing
challenge. Panelists include: 

*	Catherine Mitchell, Director of Publishing Services Department,
California Digital Library
*	Sarah L. Shreeves, the Coordinator for the Illinois Digital
Environment for Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS) and
Associate Professor of Library Administration
*	MacKenzie Smith, Associate Director for Technology, MIT
Libraries

Please register at https://www3.oclc.org/app/ala_registration/

---

From: "Lundgren,Jimmie Harrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:39:16 -0500

Some list members may be interested in the Faceted Application of Subject Terminology (FAST) and are welcome to attend this meeting. FAST Homepage at: http://www.oclc.org/research/activities/fast/default.htm 

The ALCTS SAC FAST Subcommittee Meeting at ALA Midwinter

Friday, January 15, 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m, Boston Convention & Exhibit Ctr., Room 103

Agenda:

1. Introduction of Members and Guests; 

2. Shannon Hoffmann: Report on what is happening with the Users Study;

3. Ed O'Neill: 

      Update on the FAST developments since Annual 2009, including a demonstration;  

      Experimentation and evaluation of FAST;  

      FAST applications and getting community input.  

6. Future plan: Expanded ways of involving the community, perhaps develop a Wikipedia-like community? (Ed) 

Committee Charge

To explore the issues related to the implementation of the Faceted Application of Subject Terminology (FAST) subject heading schema and advise on (1) the scope and suitability of the FAST vocabulary and syntax, (2) the FAST use of the MARC21 authority format, (3) adequacy of the FAST documentation, and (4) other relevant topics relating to the continuing development, maintenance, and implementation of FAST. 

Jimmie Lundgren 
Associate Chair & Contributed Cataloging Unit Head 
Cataloging & Metadata Dept. 
Smathers Library 
PO Box 117004 
University of Florida 
Gainesville, FL 32611-7004 
352-273-2725 
352-392-7365 (fax) 
[email-masked]