Subject: [NGC4LIB] One library's attempt to become more relevant

From: "B.G. Sloan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:35:14 -0700

One public library's attempt to find "a silver bullet to ensure their future"...
 
"If any session yesterday illustrated the palpable hunger public librarians have for change—and, perhaps, a silver bullet to ensure their future—it was the packed session featuring a crew from the Rangeview Library District, Adams County, CO, propagators of the brand they call Anythink."
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6724258.html
 
And here's the "Anythink" web site:
 
http://www.anythinklibraries.org/
 
Not sure it's the kind of change that will preserve the future of libraries (some of it seems sorta like wrapping old library functions in shiny new wrapping paper), but at least it's change.
 
Bernie Sloan

---

From: Tim Spalding <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:29:58 -0400

They're doing some really interesting things. But as NGC4Lib, we
should all wonder at what they haven't changed—they're catalog is the
same mess as almost everyone else's! Can a library shoot a silver
bullet if the catalog is a flintlock?

Tim

-- 
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding

---

From: Kyle Banerjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:39:25 -0700

>> "If any session yesterday illustrated the palpable hunger public librarians have for change—and, perhaps, a silver bullet to ensure their future—it was the packed session featuring a crew from the Rangeview Library District, Adams County, CO, propagators of the brand they call Anythink."<<

> Can a library shoot a silver bullet if the catalog is a flintlock?

I can't see why not. But it's not a panacea as silver bullets are only
effective against a small list of fairy tale creatures.

My tech services side appreciates a library like Rangeview choosing to
adopt its own classification system in troubling economic times. There
would be the whole business of retrospectively reclassifying,
relabeling, and reshelving the existing collection. Plus, the library
could no longer rely on classification numbers from downloaded copy,
so catalogers are guaranteed employment. Ka ching!

And should anyone doubt the power of classification, the following
quote from the article should lay the issue to rest:

"the Dewey system; enforced quietness; fines; the traditional reference desk."

kyle

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------
Kyle Banerjee
Digital Services Program Manager
Orbis Cascade Alliance
[email-masked] / 503.999.9787