Subject: [NGC4LIB] PR > Blackboard Brings Interactive Teaching and Learning to Mobile Devices

From: gerrymck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:00:19 -0500

Blackboard Mobile Learn Offers Two-Way Mobile Learning Experience

WASHINGTON, March 22, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Blackboard Inc.
(Nasdaq: BBBB) today announced plans for Blackboard Mobile Learn(TM), an
application that will bring two-way teaching and learning to mobile devices,
creating an interactive mobile learning experience for students and teachers
on the go.

Blackboard's existing Blackboard Mobile Central(TM) application already
delivers a mobile campus experience that includes news, events, maps and
sports among a range of student life and service options. Blackboard Mobile
Learn will take the next step by bringing the classroom experience and
learning content to the mobile environment, arming campuses with a high
quality option to quickly meet the growing demand from students who want to
do more with their smartphones and other Web-enabled devices.

With Blackboard Mobile Learn, students will be able to check grades and
assignments, add comments to discussion boards, email instructors and
classmates and post comments on blogs - all from their mobile devices.

[snip]

Blackboard Mobile Learn will recreate and enrich the course experience of
Blackboard Learn(TM), the leading Web-based teaching and learning platform,
in native mobile applications that in June will support a selection of the
world's most popular mobile platforms including iPhone(R) OS, Android and
BlackBerry(R). Like Blackboard Mobile Central, Blackboard Mobile Learn is
available through an annual license, will be branded under the school's
name, and can be downloaded by students and faculty at mobile application
stores.

Schools that are interested in experimenting with mobile learning on their
campus for no additional charge can enable Wi-Fi access to Blackboard Mobile
Learn on devices such as the iPhone and iPod touch(R) and, through a special
partnership with Sprint (NYSE: S), on select smartphones powered by the Now
Network(TM). The no cost options are intended to help institutions get
started quickly without extra investments.

[snip]

Blackboard Mobile Learn will be available initially for U.S. and Puerto Rico
higher education and professional education clients on Blackboard Learn
Releases 8, 9 and higher. Details on availability for K-12 and international
markets, as well as for previous versions of Blackboard Learn and the WebCT
and ANGEL platforms, will follow. Blackboard Mobile Learn will be enabled
with the free Blackboard Mobile Web Services Building Block(TM), which is
available for download today at Blackboard's client support Web site, Behind
the Blackboard(TM).

[snip]

Blackboard Mobile Learn Information Site

Overview / Mobile Central/ Mobile Learn / Clients / Resources / Meet the
Team / Are You a Student? / Contact Us

Appropriate Links Available From

[ http://tinyurl.com/yj6otp3 ]

!!! Thanks To / Michael Feldstein / e-Literate / For The HeadsUp !!!

EnJOY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

>>> "The Future Is Mobile" >>>